Am I crazy or is evryone doing protective styling?

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Am I crazy or is everyone doing protective styling?

Hi ladies I was just curious about this subject because I almost never use any protective styles (i.e. use of weaves, buns, etc.) I think it might be due to the fact that I have shoulder length ...hair it takes much more time to put into a protective style ( for me at least) and thats time that I don't have to spare. Well ladies how is everyone styling their ...hair?

Last edited:

SandySea

I am not a protective styler. I wear braids occasionally to give my hair a break, and when I get lazy I wear my hair up frequently, but I can't commit to any particular protective style. I even get tired of braids quickly.

tryn2growmyhair

vikkisecret said:
Hi ladies I was just curious about this subject because I almost never use any protective styles (i.e. use of weaves, buns, etc.) I think it might be due to the fact that I have shoulder length hair it takes much more time to put into a protective style ( for me at least) and thats time that I don't have to spare. Well ladies how is everyone styling their hair?
I wear a bun. A messy on takes 5 seconds a neat one takes one to five minutes depending on how far I am from a touchup, LOL!

Sweet_Ambrosia

Protective Styles work for me,they aid in the growth of my hair so im sticking with it.

I usually wear: buns,braidouts,phony ponies & braids.

vikkisecret

Nubian Girl
Whew makes me feel a whole lot better. I wish I had the time to do protective styles but honestly I'll get bored real quick. I recently purchased the teeni hairdini and will try to wear the french twist styles and/or buns when I have time.

Sylver2,
How do you keep your hair from getting dried out and the ends to look so healthy? Any secrets you would like to share?

Last edited:

webby

Think Slim
sylver2 said:
I never ever wear protective styles.
I wear my hair out every single day.
Ditto. The closest I come to a protective style is wearing my hair up when I'm either in the gym, or when my wig just looks atrocious.

sylver2

vikkisecret said:
Sylver2,
How do you keep your hair from getting dried out and the ends to look so healthy? Any secrets you would like to share?

Jojoba oil and NTM Serum.
My Satin Scarf plays a big part. I keep that on all the time when I'm not out.

simcha

I rarely wear protective styles. Only at night when I put it up in a magnetic roller and wrap a silk scarf around it.

I use moisturizing conditioners like LUST or L'oreals mega moisture and from the 2nd day after wash day until the next wash day just a little Egyptian Magic on the ends at night before I put it up.

sylver2

Brownie said:
Same here. I hate messing with my hair all the time, so it has to stay up and out of the way. I fix my hair after I wash and comb it, and I leave it that way, until I wash it again, so it makes it super easy to get ready in the morning. I just take off my satin scarf and my hair is already fixed.

yours is pretty simple.
To me, most protective styling is messing with my hair. I am not going to constantly mess with it pulling it into bun, braids, ponytails etc.
Since I've been stretching, I only have to comb my hair once a week.
I put my satin scarf on, go to sleep, wake up and take off and go.
Come home, put my scarf on, go to sleep, wake up and go. Rub some oil on, put scarf on and go. etc etc etc.
My hair is healthy and I am able to enjoy it by wearing it out. I absolutely hate when I have to wear it up, which is probably like 2 days a month.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I wasn't a fan of protective styling but once I committed myself to doing it my hair really started to maintain length. I still get bored and have to change up the style but I can see that I'm making progress so I'll keep at it until I get to the end of the challenge. I'll decide then if I want to continue.

Boadicea

Protective styles aren't a whole lot of work for me. No more than having my hair down. It takes me, at the most, five minutes to style my hair. In my album, not one of those styles took more time than that once I got it down.

PhonyBaloney500

sylver2 said:
yours is pretty simple.
To me, most protective styling is messing with my hair. I am not going to constantly mess with it pulling it into bun, braids, ponytails etc.
Come home, put my scarf on, go to sleep, wake up and go. Rub some oil on, put scarf on and go. etc etc etc.
My hair is healthy and I am able to enjoy it by wearing it out. I absolutely hate when I have to wear it up, which is probably like 2 days a month.

Do you try to avoid wearing certain materials that can snag on your hair? :)

sylver2

PhonyBaloney500 said:
Do you try to avoid wearing certain materials that can snag on your hair? :)

Not many materials snag it. Fuzzy sweaters..maybe, which I don't usually wear.
I have other problems with it. Caught in cell phone, caught in zippers, caught in ring,

Isis

sylver2 said:
yours is pretty simple.
Your regimen seems to be working very, very well for you Silver2. I just love your hair at 16 weeks post relaxer! :eek: You may have answered this before in other threads but is your hair still hanging down but tied with a satin scarf when you go to sleep?

I feel there's a lot more to using satin scarves than most people realize (silk too).

tryn2growmyhair

Boadicea said:
Protective styles aren't a whole lot of work for me. No more than having my hair down. It takes me, at the most, five minutes to style my hair. In my album, not one of those styles took more time than that once I got it down.
Boadecia. How did you do the beautiful protective style that was in your siggy? Thanks.

Allandra

Boadicea said:
Protective styles aren't a whole lot of work for me either. It takes about 5 minutes in the morning. :grin:

This week I happen to be wearing my hair in a curly rollerset. I almost never wear my hair down, but it's not because i'm trying to make it grow faster (it's a plus though). I just don't like combing and brushing and worrying if the wind is blowing it out of place etc. My hair is usually in a curly pin-up or a french twist. I wear them so often that my co-worker didn't notice me a couple of days ago because my hair isn't up.

Honi

There is no board.
Not a biggie for me. I just take off my scarf , spritz with my leave in and distilled water combo and go. Hair is already flat and in place.

Kimberly

I almost always wear my hair in a protective style...the "ponybun" being my style of choice. I put it up when I conditioner wash and tie it up every night until I conditioner wash again.

sylver2

Isis said:
Your regimen seems to be working very, very well for you Silver2. I just love your hair at 16 weeks post relaxer! :eek: You may have answered this before in other threads but is your hair still hanging down but tied with a satin scarf when you go to sleep?

I feel there's a lot more to using satin scarves than most people realize (silk too).

Than you!!
Yes, That is the only way I have been wearing it for the past 4 months.
Hair hanging down and tied with Satin Scarf. no combing, no brushing, no manipulating into a style, just take scarf off and go. Scarf is my everything..lol

Boadicea

tryn2growmyhair said:
Boadecia. How did you do the beautiful protective style that was in your siggy? Thanks.

Which one, Try? I change my avatar and sig so often! I don't remember what the last pic was of!

moneychaser

Protective styling is easy for me too.. I stopped using ouchless bands, now I just roll my hair up into a sloppy french roll and secure it with a good hair day pin :D
2 minutes flat

ChosenbyGod

Sylver2, how long do you plan on stretching? You are doing a great job btw. I would like to stretch longer than my usual 12 wks.

KAddy

"Not I" said the cat.

I don't wear protective styles that often either; meaning rarely. I try to just keep my ends coated with castor oil.

mzcaramelicious07

I never wear protective styles. Right now I'm wearing a curly roller set, so that guarantees no heat, but I do make sure I keep that satin scarf on my hair EVERYTIME it touches the pillow, couch, chair, etc!

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Yes, I wear protective styles. I was rockin' a phony pony, but currently I'm wearing a full head weave (with American Deep Wave Curly human Hair). I love it :)