Votes: 35 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

angenoir

I think it is possible.
I actually protective style for two reasons:
1) to help me stretch
2) to get my mind off constantly checking for length

But I do it mostly for the second reason... because I get so impatient and you know how it is, the kettle that's watched never boils!

1QTPie

Elder Sim
When I had a relaxer (well before LHCF) I wore my hair out all of the the time. I never consciously pinned my hair up as a protective anything. Just simply as a style and it was very rare.

I made it to my current length (BSL) with rollersets and moderate direct heat. I flat ironed or crimped my hair maybe once a month.

And I grew out my TWA with water and a prayer. I didn't use protective styles to do it.

AtlantaJJ

I'm wearing protective styling now because its easier since I workout 5 days a week and I sweat a lot. When it's cooler and less humid I can wear my hair out without damage, it just takes the proper conditioning and wrapping at night. When we get into the colder months I will wear my hair up to protect it from my clothing.

You have to figure out what's going to work for you ultimately through trial and hopefully no error.

Ladybelle

Thanks ladies! I have learned a lot from this thread, protective styling does have it's place but is certainly not the only option--That's good news to me. I think it all boils down to me knowing my hair's needs & doing what is best for it.

I appreciate all of the responses, it helps tremendously and makes me happy. I do plan to use some protective styling on occassion because I not only want to reach my goals, but I want to maintain healthy hair forever.

Thanks again for all those who took the time to answer, I see I have a lot of work to do because ya'll have some PUUUURRRTEY hair. ( i had to put some southern twang on it for emphasis because the hair I've seen on this board is just that beautiful.:grin:).

Hot40

Great question. Below you will find a photo of my years ago before I located this board.
I think I could have gotten more length had I known.
But I did ok, so I know I will get even better results now.

Ladybelle

Great question. Below you will find a photo of my years ago before I located this board.
I think I could have gotten more length had I known.
But I did ok, so I know I will get even better results now.

Wow! You have come a loooong way.

ETA: Let me rephrase my question- what do you think you did to obtain success in growing your hair out? Would you say protective styling had a lot to do with it?

Ladybelle

I'm wearing protective styling now because its easier since I workout 5 days a week and I sweat a lot. When it's cooler and less humid I can wear my hair out without damage, it just takes the proper conditioning and wrapping at night. When we get into the colder months I will wear my hair up to protect it from my clothing.

You have to figure out what's going to work for you ultimately through trial and hopefully no error.[/quote]

True. I'm working on the trial part & thank God no big errors thus far. With the working out 5 days a week, do you co-wash more?

Last edited:

Ladybelle

I think it is possible.
I actually protective style for two reasons:
1) to help me stretch
2) to get my mind off constantly checking for length

But I do it mostly for the second reason... because I get so impatient and you know how it is, the kettle that's watched never boils!

I see I'm not the only one guilty of this, lol! I'm not so worried about growing per se as I am retention. ITA about using protective styles to keep from doing a length check every other day, it helps.

sunnieb

I voted "sometimes, the hair doesn't have to be hidden all the time ".

For me personally, I have to hide my hair in order to quickly retain the hair I grow. I'm currently at my longest length ever (APL) and I got here pretty fast in my opinion. Yes, I have done a major overhaul in my hair care, but I know that protective styling has worked wonders for me. At this rate, I just may get to BSL by my 1 year LHCF anniversary next February.

However, I will NOT hide my hair all the time after this December (after the Hide Your Hair Challenge is over). I think I have learned enough here to maintain my ends whether I wear them out or not, but I will still put it up most times because of personal preference.

imaccami

I don't wear protective styles, but I don't think that they're useless. I wear my hair down everyday and I'm happy with my progress. I think that my progress would be faster if I didn't do all the things that I do to my hair, but I don't mind taking longer to reach my goals because I like the length I have now and I enjoy my hair everyday.

locabouthair

I see I'm not the only one guilty of this, lol! I'm not so worried about growing per se as I am retention. ITA about using protective styles to keep from doing a length check every other day, it helps.

The times when my hair grew was when I was hiding it and I think its because I wasnt looking for length all the time like I was when it wasn't hidden.

So I'm back to hiding it now. Not everyone needs to hide their hair but it seems to be the only way for me:ohwell:

But when my hair grows out I will be wearing out.

Last edited:

n_vizion

I like to play with my hair alot so I tend to wear it out. Because I'm opting not to protective style all the time, I realize that I'll have to fight twice as hard to retain length. Knowing this, I make sure my hair gets it's share of moisture consistently from pre-poo to styling. I've also dedicated a ton of time to finding oils that not only seal moisture in, but also feel moisturizing themselves. When I use them, my hair feels more supple and tends to withstand my constant manipulation.

I keep an updated hair journal to make sure that my regi is on point. Even though I'm wearing my hair out, I'm still expecting length month after month. So I try my best to stay consistent with the fundamentals such as healthy eating/drinking, natural products, trimming, etc.

buddhas_mom

I have worn my hair out everyday since I started my journey a year ago. I have retained a lot more length than I ever have without any real setbacks besides my disasterous trim/haircut by my ex stylist. So I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I don't feel it's necessary for me. Plus I look 14 when I pull my hair up and that's not cool at 24. So I'll be praying now that I'm SL trying to make it to Apl.

kami11213

I voted "sometimes, the hair doesn't have to be hidden all the time"... during my first 8 months of haircare I did protective styles 24/7 and it definitely helped my hair thrive but now I wear my hair down maybe 2-3 days out the week b/c I want to enjoy it some. I would do it everyday but my hair loves low maintenance and little combing and wearing my hair down requires combing at least once a day to wrap and the less combing I do the better. I also workout through the week so throwing it in a bun afterwards is just easier.

MonPetite

I've chopped my hair off three times, have grown it out three times in the last few years and did not protective style. During the coldest winter month (3) I clipped it up to avoid my coat, however. Beyond that I wore it out and down every day.

BillsBackerz67

I very rarely if never wear my hair in portective styles...in fact I wear the no no style for most naturals...daily WNG's :look:

Jewell

I have grown my hair long for many years without PS. I can still do it, but will have to rely on trims here and there to keep things in check. I now use PS to grow and retain much of my length, thus avoiding the need to trim.

Ladybelle

I have grown my hair long for many years without PS. I can still do it, but will have to rely on trims here and there to keep things in check. I now use PS to grow and retain much of my length, thus avoiding the need to trim.

I've chopped my hair off three times, have grown it out three times in the last few years and did not protective style. During the coldest winter month (3) I clipped it up to avoid my coat, however. Beyond that I wore it out and down every day.

like to play with my hair alot so I tend to wear it out. Because I'm opting not to protective style all the time, I realize that I'll have to fight twice as hard to retain length. Knowing this, I make sure my hair gets it's share of moisture consistently from pre-poo to styling. I've also dedicated a ton of time to finding oils that not only seal moisture in, but also feel moisturizing themselves. When I use them, my hair feels more supple and tends to withstand my constant manipulation.

I keep an updated hair journal to make sure that my regi is on point. Even though I'm wearing my hair out, I'm still expecting length month after month. So I try my best to stay consistent with the fundamentals such as healthy eating/drinking, natural products, trimming, etc.

have worn my hair out everyday since I started my journey a year ago. I have retained a lot more length than I ever have without any real setbacks besides my disasterous trim/haircut by my ex stylist. So I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I don't feel it's necessary for me. Plus I look 14 when I pull my hair up and that's not cool at 24. So I'll be praying now that I'm SL trying to make it to Apl.

To those who wear the hair out daily, do you manage to wear your hair out and avoid heat styling?

Fine 4s

I've told myself that I want to reach WL before I do 'out' styles. My due date is June 2010. However, I am kind of stuck on PS. I sure hope when I do reach my hair goal I can give it up already without being pre-occupied with having setbacks...

AvaSpeaks

To me this topic is very delicate territory.

I think the reasoning for the protective style is to help retain the lenght. I don't buy the whole "fine hair" argument simply because non-Black women wear their hair done 90% of the time and they still manage to not only grow hair but retain length, and their hair is fine.

The simple truth is, until your hair gets to be a certain level of health, AND you are retaining length, then I would suggest the protective styles or less management or whatever will work best for your hair to get it long.

And I won't get into the "fine" hair debate. I just won't :nono:

beans4reezy

I am not sure what my verdict on this is. I have been PS all year and have been retaining length. Next year, I will try less PS to see if I am retaining as much and I will base my judgement off of what my hair needs.

Then again, I PS so much, I am not to sure if I could just not do it anymore. We'll see.

jerseygurl

Not a new member
Before LHCF, I used to wear my hair down all the time. I would get to SL then everything breaks off. Granted that I didn't know what I was doing, I found that hiding my ends sometimes helps. I'm not a hardcore PSer (lol) but I do understand why people do it.

To be honest, I would say that braids and bunning helped push me past my breakage zone. I'm BSL now and I've never been that length before and I know that it was PSing and other techniques I've learned in my one year that helped me.

That being said, everyone needs to do what works for their hair and they will many rewards.

OT: Kami your ponytail is my dream ponytail :drool: :yep:

fyb87

To those who wear the hair out daily, do you manage to wear your hair out and avoid heat styling?

I'm a natural and currently I am avoiding heat. I've been doing WnG's since April. But, before that I would co-wash my hair, put it in two ponytails and let it airdry. Then once dried I would use the flat-iron. I would do this about every 3 weeks. Depending on how lazy I am being at the time!!

Last edited:

Lovestyr

I dont think you have to hide your hair but, you do have to proper upkeeping...DC, shampoo, trims occaisonally exc.:drunk:

halocj

To me this topic is very delicate territory.

I think the reasoning for the protective style is to help retain the lenght. I don't buy the whole "fine hair" argument simply because non-Black women wear their hair done 90% of the time and they still manage to not only grow hair but retain length, and their hair is fine.

The simple truth is, until your hair gets to be a certain level of health, AND you are retaining length, then I would suggest the protective styles or less management or whatever will work best for your hair to get it long.

And I won't get into the "fine" hair debate. I just won't :nono:

This is true but our hair is still more fragile then fine hair ladies from other races.

FlawedBeauty

when you say hide, do you mean weaves and such?

i use one protective style 90% it had helped me to retain my length. i have not used weaves or anything during my grow out period.

BklynHeart

Yep! when I was relaxed I kept it out all the time and my hair grew to Bra-strap length. I only pinned it up during the winter under hats with a silk scarf in between the hat and my hair. If I did wear it up it was in a loose ponytail or bun so my edges wouldn't suffer.