Great Best-Kept Hair Secrets from the Experts courtesy of essence.com

TracyNicole

http://www.essence.com/essence/beautyandstyle/fashion/0,16109,1618024-2,00.html

8 Great Best-Kept Hair Secrets from the Experts
Hair help is on the way. Top experts share their best-kept beauty secrets for hair with you. Then, tell us yours.
By Pamela Edwards

6. EDRIS NICHOLLS, salon owner and stylist
"To style curly hair, try aloe vera gel. It provides a buffer against harsh, dry environmental elements. Add a few drops of olive, grapeseed or avocado oil to it, and you have a great leave-in conditioning treatment."

Aloe vera gel whipped with oil makes a great gel for two strand twists and comb coils. My old stylist used to mix it up and use it on my hair. It was great for giving me neat twists with a ton of shine.

Robin41

Except for the fiber one, I've learned each and every one of those tips at one time or another from the experts right here on LHCF.

KnottyGurl

#2 I wholeheartedly agree with. I'm amazed that beauticians don't know or do this.

I'm transitioning right now, but from Aug 2009 to Apr 2010 I texlaxed. Knowing I didn't want to process the length of my hair every time I texlaxed my roots, I decided to thoroughly cover the strands with olive oil. Even if you only put relaxer on the roots, it still washes over the strands as you rinse, so there's really no getting around it. This worked great for me.:yep: I also think it's better than conditioner b/c conditioner rinses off so easily.

Last edited:

Tiye

I want to try baby buttercream so bad, but I can't see myself spending $58 on it.

They sell samples on the website. I bought the sample pack of all their products for 64 + shipping I believe. These are 2 oz jars so not just little smidges of product. Most of them have mineral oil in them and I do not use mineral oil. However I knew this going in and still wanted to see what they are like. If I don't use them on my own hair - I'll use them on my curly weave/wig.

Um, yeah, NO WAY is a ripe avocado going to make it onto my hair, when my mouth is on the way there. I could eat avocados every day (except my butt & hips would pay the price).

I'm not a fan of the fruit and veggies as conditioner coz they are heck hard to rinse/wash out of my hair. The times I've done the avocado treatment it was nice ... but I also spent the next two days picking little avocado bits out of my hair. So that's why i don't bother with them. Maybe if they were ultra pureed and then sieved, etc. - but not just mash it on a dish and slap it in hair - that does not work for me.

MarieB

I can't waste a perfectly good avocado. They taste good!

:lick: Me too! I actually did try it once, and it took me forever to rinse it all out of my hair. When I was through I was just mad that I didn't eat the darn thing instead. Good for the digestion, too (I'd never heard that one about the flaky scalp/digestion thing before).

lovelexi

I read that and my first thought was, Wow that's a quick way to completely destroy your hairline.

I don't know why some black females are soooo concerned about "laying their edges down" and then they wonder why they're balding. It's really not that serious. Yeah, a plastic brush will rip thru your hair but not a TOOTHBRUSH

dont see what the big deal is either. my brush does a good enough job. no gel just some moisturizer and im good.

Boujoichic

Great tips and I agree a lot of it I already learned from you lovely ladies on the board. Im not gonna touch that toothbrush one I found my edges lay down fine with just product and my fingers. I dont use bristle brushes anymore on my hair only combs and never fine toothed ones this helps me keep my fine hair where it belongs on my head not in a brush. Im gonna have to try incorporating more fiber into my diet ;)