Great Best-Kept Hair Secrets from the Experts courtesy of essence.com

ryanshope

http://www.essence.com/essence/beautyandstyle/fashion/0,16109,1618024-2,00.html

8 Great Best-Kept Hair Secrets from the Experts
Hair help is on the way. Top experts share their best-kept beauty secrets for hair with you. Then, tell us yours.
By Pamela Edwards

1. BAMBI MONTGOMERY, owner of Honeychild Salon and Spa
"Use a very ripe avocado as a preshampoo conditioning treatment. Massage onto your hair, leave in for an hour, shampoo and rinse. You will be surprised how shiny it will leave your hair."

2. OSCAR JAMES, celebrity hairstylist
"During touch-up time you can prevent overprocessing by applying conditioner to the relaxed portion of the hair, leaving the new growth untouched. The conditioner acts as a barrier inthe event that any of the relaxer comes into contact with the processed hair."

3. DERRICK SCURRY, stylist
"To soften even the most coarse or kinky hair, try Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercreme ($58, missjessies.com). It moisturizesd and makes hair silky in seconds."
5. CHUCK AMOS, celebrity stylist
"For the smoothest hairline, use a firm toothbrush. Small bristles ae perfect for handling flyaways. Add a touch of hair spray or gel before you brush."

6. EDRIS NICHOLLS, salon owner and stylist
"To style curly hair, try aloe vera gel. It provides a buffer against harsh, dry environmental elements. Add a few drops of olive, grapeseed or avocado oil to it, and you have a great leave-in conditioning treatment."

7. ROXANNA FLOYD, makeup artist
"I wore the same hairstyle for 14 years. Buying a cute wig was a way to experiment without cutting my hair. I get my wigs from katourlinewigs.com. Now I never have a bad hair day.

8. RODNEY BARNETT, certified trichologist
"There is a direct relationship between a flaky scalp and poor bowel elimination. Increase your fiber intake to correct this problem."

4. CHRIS CRENSHAW, stylist
" "Never use plastic bristle brushes on relaxed hair. They can scratch and tear an already weak cuticle. Use a wide-tooth comb to maintain a healthier hair shaft."

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
That's some good advice! I hope all of the women who read this article take the advice.

Lissamz

These are great. I'm going to try the aloe vera and oil thing on my daughter's hair and let her actually wear it down.

locabouthair

Hair help is on the way. Top experts share their best-kept beauty secrets for hair with you. Then, tell us yours.
By Pamela Edwards

"Use a very ripe avocado as a preshampoo conditioning treatment. Massage onto your hair, leave in for an hour, shampoo and rinse. You will be surprised how shiny it will leave your hair."

"During touch-up time you can prevent overprocessing by applying conditioner to the relaxed portion of the hair, leaving the new growth untouched. The conditioner acts as a barrier inthe event that any of the relaxer comes into contact with the processed hair."

"To soften even the most coarse or kinky hair, try Miss Jessie's Curly Buttercreme ($58, missjessies.com). It moisturizesd and makes hair silky in seconds."
"For the smoothest hairline, use a firm toothbrush. Small bristles ae perfect for handling flyaways. Add a touch of hair spray or gel before you brush."

"To style curly hair, try aloe vera gel. It provides a buffer against harsh, dry environmental elements. Add a few drops of olive, grapeseed or avocado oil to it, and you have a great leave-in conditioning treatment."

"I wore the same hairstyle for 14 years. Buying a cute wig was a way to experiment without cutting my hair. I get my wigs from katourlinewigs.com. Now I never have a bad hair day.

"There is a direct relationship between a flaky scalp and poor bowel elimination. Increase your fiber intake to correct this problem."

" "Never use plastic bristle brushes on relaxed hair. They can scratch and tear an already weak cuticle. Use a wide-tooth comb to maintain a healthier hair shaft."

I wish more stylists knew the bolded....

pistachio

Great advice, but I've done the avocado thing before and it left all kinds of pulp in my hair that was very difficult to wash out.

gymfreak336

By Pamela Edwards

I heard this too from another trichologist.

Amber_moon

Alot of these are things that the girls here have got down already... but #5!!! :burning: sounds like it would kill your edges!

*Muffin*

Those were some good tips. I'll definitely be putting some conditioner on the relaxed portions of my hair to prevent overprocessing, and I will be looking into the ingredients that are in Miss Jessie's Buttercream (to see if I can make it myself-I know, I'm cheap :grin:) And it is true what they say about brushes. Ever since I started using wide-toothed combs only my hair has thrived.

silverlotus

Alot of these are things that the girls here have got down already... but #5!!! :burning: sounds like it would kill your edges!

Yep, these tips sound like they came right off this board. The only one I haven't read here is #8. Cosign on #5 sounding damaging. :nono:

glamazon386

It's no different than using a regular brush. It's just smaller. One of my cousins does it and has for years. She has a head full of gorgeous hair. I tried it a few times but I just didn't feel it was necessary. I can get my edges good enough with my regular brush.

cheeks87

I read that and my first thought was, Wow that's a quick way to completely destroy your hairline.

I don't know why some black females are soooo concerned about "laying their edges down" and then they wonder why they're balding. It's really not that serious. Yeah, a plastic brush will rip thru your hair but not a TOOTHBRUSH

morehairplease

By Pamela Edwards

wow, I did not know this.

lunabelle

Yea, the Avocado did nothing for my hair either. I just made a mess. However, I wil be using step 2. Cool post, thanks:)

MoMo

It's no different than using a regular brush. It's just smaller. One of my cousins does it and has for years. She has a head full of gorgeous hair. I tried it a few times but I just didn't feel it was necessary. I can get my edges good enough with my regular brush.

ITA. Especially a soft toothbrush. But it has to be rinsed after every use if you do use hairspray or gel because the residue will dry causing the bristles to stiffenand that would be damaging. Another good brush is a manicure brush. It has very soft bristles.

mzhotniz86

# 5 isnt all that bad at all. i used to do that when i was younger, but with a SOFT bristle one. its like using a baby brush :)

Nice Lady

It is always good to have a refresher course. Thanks for the tips. I am going to make my hair a priority as soon as things slow down again.

aileendq

Um, yeah, NO WAY is a ripe avocado going to make it onto my hair, when my mouth is on the way there. I could eat avocados every day (except my butt & hips would pay the price).