Gray hair, store bought dye and henna. Please help.

Snuckles

Hi,

I have gray hair around my hairline that I want to get rid of. I've used henna in the past. Yesterday, I purchased some store bought non-permanent color that also covers gray but when I read the directions this morning it said not to use if you've henna'd your hair.

My question is what kind of non-permanent color can I purchase that covers gray but also safe on previously henna'd hair?

2nd question is what will happen if I use this dye on my hair? What's the danger?

Thanks Divas :yawn:

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Hi,

I have gray hair around my hairline that I want to get rid of. I've used henna in the past. Yesterday, I purchased some store bought non-permanent color that also covers gray but when I read the directions this morning it said not to use if you've henna'd your hair.

My question is what kind of non-permanent color can I purchase that covers gray but also safe on previously henna'd hair?

2nd question is what will happen if I use this dye on my hair? What's the danger?

Not sure about recommending any non-perm colors to use. BUT, to your second question, I learned the hard way that trying to use a lighter color on your hair with henna results in two tone hair. :ohwell: Esp the more there is a difference (the number of steps between colors).

I had my hair professionally done and it was hot mess. The second time, the person was more experienced and was able to correct it.

So, what it depends on is this, how close are the colors? Are you trying to go lighter or darker?

Snuckles

Thanks for responding MzTeaze. I'm going darker, so maybe there is no problem. It just freaked me out when I read the directions and it specifically said not use on previously henna'd hair. I plan on using Clairol Natural Instincts - Midnight Black. I was scared that it would make my hair turn hard and break off or something crazy like that. If the warning is for people trying to go lighter then they should say that.

g.lo

hi,

i did the same about a month ago, henna firt than store bought semi permanent dye:nono:. my hair was shedding like mad after, i wouldn't recommand!
Hi,

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
Thanks for responding MzTeaze. I'm going darker, so maybe there is no problem. It just freaked me out when I read the directions and it specifically said not use on previously henna'd hair. I plan on using Clairol Natural Instincts - Midnight Black. I was scared that it would make my hair turn hard and break off or something crazy like that. If the warning is for people trying to go lighter then they should say that.

Well that is just one problem.

I didn't mention the other problem because there are too many variables. But its this, depending on the type of henna you used, it could react with the ingredients in the dye.