Going natural

Samaria

I'm new here and so I've been basically reading everything I possibly can. And I see alot of people are going natural. And those that are going natural have really nice lenghts of hair. I was just curious what made you decide to go natural? Is relaxing really that bad?
confused.gif
I'm curious because I'm the type to go like 4 months at a time without touching up. I'm just really curious. Hopefully this makes sense.

I've been natural all my life, but I'd say that people go natural for different reasons.

Some people are tired of perming. Some people are just curious and want to embrace their natural hair. Some people have had bad perm experiences. There are a ton of different reasons.

You can have healthy relaxed hair and even unhealthy natural hair. The bottom line is no matter what, you have to put in the time and TLC to take care of your hair, whatever state it is in
smile.gif

I'm sure some of the other ladies will give you their opinions.

I'm going natural b/c I have to...but now that I have to, I am happy about it. A relaxer broke off my hair to an inch in many sections all over my head. That was almost enough to convince me not to relax ever again. Then, I started researching haircare on the internet and that's when I was 100% convinced that I didn't want to relax again. It's saving my hair and now I'm curious to see what it will be like to have a head full of curly, curly hair.

For me, it was a BIG OL' combo of reasons ... I won't beat ya over the head
hammer.gif
with 'em.
laugh.gif

The short answer: I think choosing to relax or not to relax is a personal decision, just like hair in general for black women is a VERY deep (at times), personal thing. Each person is different. Some folx can't stand the burning feeling. Some folx never have that problem during application. Some women
love.gif
their big poofy bush, some women prefer straight hair.

It's up to you.
smile.gif

I just decided to transition because I'm tired of relaxing and I feel like it is hindering my hair growth. I first got a perm when I was around 8-9 years old. My hair still grew long (to armpit length) but as time went on, my hair seemed to get shorter after trimming and would stay at a few inches passed shoulder-length. So that's y I'm transitioning (started 4/27/04).

I accidently decided to go natural, a disatrous weave broke off my hair close to next to nothing. and i decided to postpone relaxing my hair for several months only to fall in love with my natural hair.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:
I accidently decided to go natural, a disatrous weave broke off my hair close to next to nothing. and i decided to postpone relaxing my hair for several months only to fall in love with my natural hair.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sort of what happened to me. I was originally just planning to postpone relaxing and ended up transitioning.

My hair going throught a phase right now....
Im going natural b/c my hair doesn't grow that long with a relaxer and my hair broke off bad with one....
real bad

[ QUOTE ]
Is relaxing really that bad?

[/ QUOTE ]
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is!! The key ingredients in perms are also the key ingredients in items like Drano, Nair and a ton other caustic chemicals. The key ingredient in Drano is sodium hydroxide (lye)...which is also the key ingredient in lye perms. The key ingredients in Nair (4-minute formula) are: sodium hydroxide, calcium hydroxide and potassium thioglycerate (memory serving correctly)...these are also the key ingredients in lye, no-lye and curly perms. When left on the head too long the hair falls out. When put on the hair period, it BREAKS bonds and damages the hair! So, YES, relaxers ARE really that bad. You can find more information by reading some of the articles on www.nappturality.com. This website is specifically dedicated to natural hair care for women of color. They also have discussion forums, etc. where you can gain a wealth of information. I would also suggest reading the book "Hair Story"...it's great!

I hope you find what you're looking for.

I decided to go natural because I got tired of my thinning hair with the relaxers. Now that I really know how to take care of my hair I may one day return to relaxing, but I'm trying to stay natural for as long as possible.

All the ladies have made excellent points...Some go natural because they HAVE to, because of a bad relaxer application, a bad color job, some people's hair just can't handle the chemical, it is rather harsh. Some people go natural to embrace their heritage, they are tired of the commitment, they are tired of being dependent on someone else to take care of their hair, the list can go on and on.

I chose to embrace my natural hair because I literally COULD NOT see myself getting a relaxer retouch, every few months, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I started searching the internet about healthy hair care techniques back in 2001 and came across Cathy Howse's book and that's where my "healthy hair kick" started...healthy hair was my goal. Natural hair had not even crossed my mind until I started seeing the most beautiful heads of natural hair, especially on one particular sista named PoetryNMoshin(who has now locked her hair). I was in love with the thickness, fullness, and versatility of it! Until then, I thought natural hair could only be worn in a fro. That's why we as black women have no excuses when it comes to not having options other than a relaxer. I kept researching until I came upon NaturallyCurly, Nappyhair and then Nappturality formed. I chopped all my relaxed hair off after a 6 month transition, right when nappturality formed, and haven't looked back since!

It is a personal decision for all of us, but when you are armed with all the information that is out here, you can't go wrong either way. I would love to see more black women embrace their natural hair but ultimately it is a personal decision.
wink.gif

Going natural is a very personal decision. Relaxing isn't bad for everyone despite the ingredients in it. Everything is one step away from being something undesirable. Like margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. Human beings are one DNA molecule away from being apes. Each day, we eat foods that God never intended for us to eat - ALL processed foods. And eating these foods contribute greatly to our heart disease, diabetes, strokes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. So, what you choose to put in and on your body is TRULY a personal decision.

I don't have any breakage. My hair was below my shoulders prior to my decision. I went on the net to get info about taking care of my 4-year old's natural hair and found out about relaxers and how they should be applied and the pH levels and what they were and all that jazz. Initially, after that research, I decided that I would extend my relaxer to every 6 months. I knew I could do that because I did the same thing when I was pregnant.

I did plan to relax. I was trying to find a relaxer that I could be comfortable with and I settled on Fiberguard. Then I went through the turmoil of trying to find a stylist. I went so far as to purchase the Fiberguard system from sheldeez in late January. It's still sitting there under my bathroom cabinet. July 12, 2003 was my last relaxer.

I'm learning to work with both textures in my head. Sometimes I don't mind - other times, I want to slap a relaxer on it. Yesterday, God put the inspiration right in my face on a daily basis. Someone I can have SHOW me what to do in terms of styling. I think that was my biggest challenge. I need to ogle your every move. I'm such a visual person. I'm getting ready to trot over and visit my "new best friend" now to see how she has her hair styled.

This isn't to say that I won't ever relax again. After my research, I know what to do. But right now - I'm going natural.

Plus, I have that "Don't do as I do, but do as I say" factor with my daughter who won't be getting a relaxer as long as she is living in my house and I'm supporting her. Have to set the proper example. I'm sure I'll be able to justify it should I relax in the next 13 years.

I never even realized that natural hair was an option until I found hair boards and discovered that I didn't have to keep relaxing. I'd always hated my hair it was never thick enough, I could grow it long with braids only to have it all break off again once I relaxed again, and ultimately I just didn't have a good relationship with my hair. Going natural was the first time I really appreciated or loved my own hair. Its not for everyone but once I learned to see beauty in all hair types I could finally see the beauty in my own.

Plus I now know that my hair is really too weak for relaxers no matter how gentle it just melts it away. It only took me a little over a year to grow back naturally what had taken me years to accumulate with a relaxer so natural definitely works for me.

[ QUOTE ]
micarae said:
I chose to embrace my natural hair because I literally COULD NOT see myself getting a relaxer retouch, every few months, FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. Natural hair had not even crossed my mind until I started seeing the most beautiful heads of natural hair, especially on one particular sista named PoetryNMoshin(who has now locked her hair). I was in love with the thickness, fullness, and versatility of it! That's why we as black women have no excuses when it comes to not having options other than a relaxer. I kept researching until I came upon NaturallyCurly, Nappyhair and then Nappturality

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my reason in a nutshell....
PoetryNMoshin inspired me too! She has gorgeous hair.

You ladies all gave so many excellent comments. You have each stated my feelings.

I initially went natural becuase the Lye and No Lye relaxers cause baldness for me.

I eventually researched the chemicals and the reasons relaxers were introduced to us as black women and then committed to no longer perming becuase I believe that this is the way God intended my hair to be...and to chemically alter it would be (in my mind) saying that what God created was ugly. I feel that my hair (like my skin color) is beautiful and unique and is enough.

I have not relaxed in months and I plan on going through the summer relaxer free. If all goes well I will just continue the transition. My hair just looks more healthier.

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
I have not relaxed in months and I plan on going through the summer relaxer free. If all goes well I will just continue the transition. My hair just looks more healthier.

[/ QUOTE ]

To quote your fotki name...U GO GIRL!!!
smile.gif

When I first went natural/napptural it was for a change of pace really. I was bored with my hair. I was in microbraids for several months before hand. I friend suggested that I give it a try (b/c I hadn't had a relaxer in months) so after I took my braid out I fought two textures for about 2 weeks then I said to hell will it and had the relaxed ends cut off. June will be my second Nappiversary.

That's not to say that I don't fustrated or bored with my hair. I still do. But at this point in my hair journey, relaxing is not an option that I will consider.

I didn't even own shampoo when I discovered hair boards- I LIVED in the salon. One particular time I went like 5 times in two weeks...and then I snapped. I was spending all my free time and plenty of my money at the hairdresser! Then I discovered hair boards. When I started taking care of my own hair I realized two things:
1. My hairdresser was never my friend. She's a business woman who kept me ignorant to keep me dependent so that she could make money.
2.The ultimate act of hair love is not putting harsh chemicals on it.

I had looooong hair and always got compliments on it. It was deeply connected to my sense of beauty.Cutting off after a 3 month transition was not an easy decision for me or my husband. But seeing your natural hair (it's alot softer than the new growth that's under your relaxer)is liking giving birth to a baby. And I know that I have come to love myself more (and I always loooooved myself
laugh.gif
) and now I love my hair- Nappy!

[ QUOTE ]
Divastate said:
I never even realized that natural hair was an option until I found hair boards and discovered that I didn't have to keep relaxing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! That's scary and deep! I'm glad that you found the hair discussion boards.

I've gone natural twice and both times it was because I was simply tired of perming. I went back to the relaxer the first time because I was going to be taking a swimming class in the upcoming semester and didn't want to press my hair 3 times a week. The support available now was practically non-existent when I went the first time. I STAYED natural this time because of various support networks and the fact that I'm willing to try new things. I hated putting something in my head that smelled, burned and was just not good for me at all. So, I stopped. I've been happier every since.

After seeing my mom's hair grow nicely when she grew her perm off, I decided I was going to do the same. However, the first time I was going to do this my hair was broken and my sister and one of our friend stylist decided I needed a cut. So I got another relaxer after about 3-4 months in braids without a perm. Well about a year later (after the cut) I got braids again, and this time I decided to stick with transitioning. I transitioned for about a year and 2 months, and I cut most of my permed ends on my birthday, March 2, 2004. I have been enjoying since then and I encourage most women to go for it, I am having fun with my hair!

somehow i managed to grow up thinking natural type 4 hair was pretty and acceptable. i wore perms and braids for years, with the understanding they were a deviation from "regular" hair. no one really had to tell me this. i didnt think perms were better, prettier or more acceptable. i thought it was all the same and really, just hair. in other words, i never permed because i thought i had to, or because i had ugly hair. it was the trend. and likewise when i wore braids throughout high school.
so anyhow, i "went natural" when my hair braider in PA cancelled my appointment after i travelled from NY to get there. (it was my first semester in NY, i didnt know a thing about the city let alone someone to braid hair for 50 bucks.) so, i just figured id wear my hair. i liked it. my perm underneath reverted and i had big, pretty, long, kinda crazy hair. and im an artist, so really it worked for me. it made sense. it wasnt a huge, self exploration or anything. i pretty much made the decision overnight. in fact my original plan was to braid it or wear it "natural" until it got really long so i could perm it and have long straight hair. i didnt expect it to be permanent decision, but i liked it and it works for me. i gave up the perm idea rather quickly. my mom was surprised, but soon, she and my sister gave up the braids and were natural too.

[ QUOTE ]
nivea said:
I wanted to embrace my natural hair in all it glory

[/ QUOTE ]
that would be ME
smile.gif
my nappy hair is 20 months and 1 day old
grin.gif

I went natural because I never saw a huge difference between my realxed and natural hair anyway. Plus it made no sense to me to only straighten my hair like twice a year. Shoot I straightend my natural hair more than I did when I relaxed. Really stupid IMO to be paying 50 bucks for a touch up and never got the full benefits of having str8 hair.

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
I eventually researched the chemicals and the reasons relaxers were introduced to us as black women and then committed to no longer perming becuase I believe that this is the way God intended my hair to be...and to chemically alter it would be (in my mind) saying that what God created was ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
This was a major step for me that influenced me to chop instead of just transitioning for years like I originally intended to do. I no longer felt the need to conform to any beauty standards dictated by society and accept my own beauty just the way God made me.

[ QUOTE ]
patience said:
[ QUOTE ]
Divastate said:
I never even realized that natural hair was an option until I found hair boards and discovered that I didn't have to keep relaxing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow! That's scary and deep! I'm glad that you found the hair discussion boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
I'm glad I found them too- considering I'd never even known any 4a/b natural woman until meeting my husband's mother and sister is still amazing to me. Now almost 4 years later I'm surrounded by growing numbers of natural friends and family its definitely a wonderful thing.

I decided to go natural because I had a relaxer since I was 10, and there were only two things my hair would do: break off in different places, then grow back, then break off somewhere else. It was a never-ending cycle. Plus my hair grows fast and two weeks after relaxing, it wouldn't lay right because of the new growth. Now that I'm natural, my hair is way healthier and I can wear it curly or get it straightened if I like, which I have stopped doing because of the damage to my curls, which is another tangent, but that is overall the reason I decided to go natural.

Back