Gel Everyday?

inthepink

Does anyone use gel everyday without washing their hair daily?

I started using gel everyday about 3 months ago - about a dallop a day. I wash my hair on average every 3 days. I think even though the gel is alcohol free that I am starting to see some negative effects of the gel - dryness and possibly breakage.

Is it not ok to use gel everyday when you're not washing your hair everyday? I've seen albums of people who use gel everyday and they don't seem to have any problem at all...but I think they wash their hair daily.

Sooo...if that's the case, what is a good alternative to your typical gel?

Irresistible

anything that wets and oils the hair at the same time and weighs it down some, but doesnt make it hard. i have never had to use gels. my brush helps alot of the slicking back and down action too though.

Neroli

I think it depends on the ingredients in the gel. If it has a lot of 'cones, then I think it would make hair hard over time. I use aubrey 100% pure aloe vera gel or lilly of the desert 99% aloe gelly on my ends daily without any problems. I wash twice a week.

So, what gel are you using and what are the ingredients?

NAY007

I used it every day without any negative effects. Right now I'm using hairspray as my last product.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
what is a good alternative to your typical gel?

[/ QUOTE ]

A quarter sized dollop of Elasta QP Mango Butter is good for slicking down edges and it doesn't get hard at all.

J

JenniferMD

Hairlove, I too suggest you use QP's Mango Butter. Did you ever buy it? I can't remember. But you should definitely give it a try; my edges lay straight with a small amount.

divacurl2004

quidad makes some great gels that have no negitive affects, and wash out in the shower with just water. i believe one is called climate control gel, and tress fx gel. i use both. their expensive, but worth it. i also use to use sensitive by natures luqid gel, its also good, but i can't seem to find it lately...

Devi

I use gel everyday and wash my hair every 3 days. I use gel with a mega hold... and I use a lot more than one dollop

No negative affects, but I make sure that it has no alcohol in it.

inthepink

Jennifer - I did buy QP Mango Butter but I've recently figured out that my hair doesn't like water-based moisturizers. So, a little after I would apply mango butter, my hair would look dry as a bone. Disappointing b/c it smells so good.

CaramelKiss

I use gel, but not everyday. I use either Pantene curls gel or aloe vera gel. I only apply it after a shampoo/conditioner wash. In between shampp/co days, I just spritz my hair lightly with distilled water and use a little bit of creamy leave-in and that reactivates the gel. I found that applying gel every day without rinsing my hair created build up and made my hair dry. HTH!!

J

JenniferMD

Hairlove, have you ever tried hair glaze? It works like a gel only it doesn't get hard. I'm not sure if this product is water based so I'll check when I get home and let you know. I know QP and Lusters have hair glazers I'm not sure of any other brands though.