front edges :(

inthepink

I think gel has been breaking off my front edges. I think I have come up with a couple of solutions to get them back into shape but I'd like to hear some more suggestions. What have you done to get your edges back into shape when a product or mishandling has caused them to break off? And how do you prevent this from happening.

I believe my breakage is a result of gel use every day without rinsing/washing everyday.

The solutions I have thought of are:
1. use only aloe vera gel or vitamin e gel
2. use plenty of oil or moisturizers underneath the gel
3. alternate gel usage with something else like setting lotion
4. wear hair down more to take pressure of edges
5. rinse/co wash every day to get rid of buildup

Anything else?

26INCHHAIR

Yea, ur suggestions are very good, If your front edges are that bad, put some water and setting lotion and then tie it down w/ a scarf b4 you go out. Also, co washes will help greatly. Ps the same thing happened to me and my sister, so dont worry it will get better in no time

Tai

Those solutions sound perfect.

Do you know what's in the gel you're using that's causing the breakage?

nissi

sorry to hear it hairlove, you know i watch your routine closely. i would say definitely with the foe aloe/vitamin e gel, it doesn't dry hard. actually i use my foe aloe gel with basic organics vitamin e ointment to balance with some moisture. i notice that you don't use it, but surge has really caused my front edges and front hair to grow tremendously. best wishes and hope that helps!

edited to say: unless i am wearing it out, i prefer to cowash daily when i use gel, but that's just me for now, that is...

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I would say go easy on the aloe vera gel, sometimes it makes your hair dry. I have been using castor oil on my edges and nape. Protectiv makes a very good creme for thinning its called Growth and Healing I have also had good results with that as well.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Tai said:
Those solutions sound perfect.

Do you know what's in the gel you're using that's causing the breakage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know. I am not even sure if it's the gel. It could most likely be that gel isn't made to sit on your hair...it's made to be washed out daily. I was adding gel on top of gel. I think no matter what gel I use...I may need to wash it out daily. Oh, I was using Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening Gel.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
26INCHHAIR said:
Yea, ur suggestions are very good, If your front edges are that bad, put some water and setting lotion and then tie it down w/ a scarf b4 you go out. Also, co washes will help greatly. Ps the same thing happened to me and my sister, so dont worry it will get better in no time

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely plan to try this. In fact, this is what the stylist suggested.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:
I would say go easy on the aloe vera gel, sometimes it makes your hair dry. I have been using castor oil on my edges and nape. Protectiv makes a very good creme for thinning its called Growth and Healing I have also had good results with that as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why aloe vera would dry your hair out? Is it simply b/c it IS a gel? Oh...I'm so confused.

It's hard for me to find profectiv products in my area but I'll take a look around. Thanks

Tai

Sally's should carry the Profectiv product line and if yours doesn't I'm sure the manager could do a store transfer or order it for you.
I've heard Kha mention that she uses a mixture of Vitamin E & Aloe vera. That could work and maybe mix in a little of your version of Hair Milk, then tie down the edges with a scarf.

SingingStar12

These are great suggestions! My hair broke off during softball season because of my helmet and I'm trying to grow it back.. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I love your hair cut hairlove! It looks great!

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I think gel has been breaking off my front edges. I think I have come up with a couple of solutions to get them back into shape but I'd like to hear some more suggestions. What have you done to get your edges back into shape when a product or mishandling has caused them to break off? And how do you prevent this from happening.

I believe my breakage is a result of gel use every day without rinsing/washing everyday.

The solutions I have thought of are:
1. use only aloe vera gel or vitamin e gel
2. use plenty of oil or moisturizers underneath the gel
3. alternate gel usage with something else like setting lotion
4. wear hair down more to take pressure of edges
5. rinse/co wash every day to get rid of buildup

Anything else?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your suggestions are really good Hairlove, I'm really leaning towards #'s 2, 4 & 5. You should try wearing your hair down more often or in a loose updo. Also, I think more rinsing or washing would help. If you're wearing your hair back a lot, the front edges get most of the products just because of the way most people apply them. When using gels, those in my opinion should be used last. Are you wearing your hair pulled back at nighttime?

so1913

You've got a good plan there. Someone else mentioned it I think, It helps to tie down with a scarf or bandana for a few min after you apply the aloe/vitamin E gel/oil.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:

Your suggestions are really good Hairlove, I'm really leaning towards #'s 2, 4 & 5. You should try wearing your hair down more often or in a loose updo. Also, I think more rinsing or washing would help. If you're wearing your hair back a lot, the front edges get most of the products just because of the way most people apply them. When using gels, those in my opinion should be used last. Are you wearing your hair pulled back at nighttime?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always keep my hair loose at night...I usually take it down when I get home from work.

I also need to remember to spray that section with my rosemary mixture.

Tene

Have you tried using the hair gels they sell in the health store? They're supposed to be better for your hair.

inthepink

[ QUOTE ]
Tene said:
Have you tried using the hair gels they sell in the health store? They're supposed to be better for your hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I haven't. But I will check them out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
KhaLesSta said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I always keep my hair loose at night...I usually take it down when I get home from work.

I also need to remember to spray that section with my rosemary mixture.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I do, but I you have some good ideas on what to do. I'm sure with a little modification of your routine, your edges will stop breaking. It's probably either the gel or wearing it back too often.

inthepink

If I can learn to do wonderful twists like yours, I will definitely be wearing my hair down more!! I will have to start practicing more often.

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
If I can learn to do wonderful twists like yours, I will definitely be wearing my hair down more!! I will have to start practicing more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww thanks Hairlove! I was going to PM you and ask how that was coming along. Keep practicing and soon you'll have your "I finally got it" moment

Sweetyb

Great tips, hairlove
I'm having a similar problem and I'm now determined to either put twists back in my hair, do individual ext for the 1st time, or get a weave for the 1st time.

As long as you got a plan, you're on the right track girl!

Kha

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
[ QUOTE ]
simplycee said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why aloe vera would dry your hair out? Is it simply b/c it IS a gel? Oh...I'm so confused.

It's hard for me to find profectiv products in my area but I'll take a look around. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hairlove, Aloe Vera gel (and many other products) can be drying simply because it's water-based. If you live in a area where the climate is dry all the time, then the water is going to evaporate therefor leaving your hair a little dry feeling. That's why I apply it last on top of other oils or moisturizers that I use.

inthepink

Thanks for the explanation Kha. This is a bummer b/c I do live in a dry area. I've realized in the past few month that my hair does not like water-based moisturizers like elasta qp mango butter or ors olive oil lotion but they were better if I added oil to flip the ratio. So, I will do the same with the aloe vera gel.

ChasingBliss

I use the frizz buster gel almost every day on my edges and every night, even if I dont completely rinse or condition wash, I let that shower run over my face all the way back at least 3 1/2 inches past my hair line to rinse out any gel. I never go to bed with gel on my edges from the day and I have had no problems. After the rinse, I always moisturize the edges and do the rest of my routine and put a satin scarf on for the night. I think no matter what you do, you should always rinse off those gel products.

SVT

Definitely rinse the gel out each night.

I do daily conditioner washes and have not had any problems with Suave gel or the IC gel breaking my hairline.

Sometimes when I don't want to apply any gel around my edges, I'll wear my hair with a part down the middle and tuck the hair behind my ears so my hairline isn't over exposed. I use my boar bristle brush to distribute a small amount of oil on those edge hairs before parting and tucking.

inthepink

HoneyLemonDrop & SVT,

Are you guys saying to not even go to bed with any gel applied in the morning? That I should rinse that part of my hair at night? I will be doing daily conditioner washes in the morning and am wondering how I will rinse out the gel at night. Though, I do think you both have good points.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
HoneyLemonDrop & SVT,

Are you guys saying to not even go to bed with any gel applied in the morning? That I should rinse that part of my hair at night? I will be doing daily conditioner washes in the morning and am wondering how I will rinse out the gel at night. Though, I do think you both have good points.

[/ QUOTE ]

I sleep with gel but I wear a plastic cap (preferably) or sometimes a silk scarf at night to keep the air conditioning from drying out my hair. In the morning, I CW and apply fresh gel if my style needs it. I don't want to put new gel on top of old gel.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
Oh ok!! This is what I'll be doing except I will probably spray and moisturize the gel area before bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes! Get some moisture to those edges to counter the gel!

ChasingBliss

I think either way is great. In the morning I do my hair, water spritz, moisturize, etc. and gel edges if nec. Then go throughout my day. I shower at night, so I rinse or cw at night. Also, to be honest, I'd rather not sleep with the gel anyways.

Tracy

I always mix my gel with something. Oil or a cream moisturizer or a rinse out or leave in conditioner like Elucence. In addition to rinsing or CWing the next morning, this is what I do, and I have no trouble with my edges.