French Braiding Thick Natural Hair Successfully, Is it Posssible???

Sweet_Ambrosia

I just tried french braiding my natural hair for the first time in yearsssssss, and I don’t remember it being this difficult to make one simple french braid, after I was finished my arms were burning, they’re actually kinda sore now, and the results are just okay after that arm workout. :lachen: I guess my question is are there any naturals with thick long hair that have french braided easily and successfully, if so please share your tips!

Thanks in Advance,
~SA

JustKiya

I just tried french braiding my natural hair for the first time in yearsssssss, and I don’t remember it being this difficult to make one simple french braid, after I was finished my arms were burning, they’re actually kinda sore now, and the results are just okay after that arm workout. :lachen: I guess my question is are there any naturals with thick long hair that have french braided easily and successfully, if so please share your tips!

Thanks in Advance,
~SA

It's easier wet. :lol: Or at least damp. My hair is no where NEAR as long as yours - but yeah, it's a upper arm/shoulder workout to french braid DRY hair. Damp/wet, not so much.

LynnieB

i gave up trying this on natural hair a long time ago. too much work.

on dry hair it's too hard to separate it hair into pieces, two hard to keep the ends separated enough to work with, when i do manage to get something started i can tell immediately it just isn't going to look right.

it's worse on wet hair cause now the ends keep trying to mate with each other :perplexed and the kinks near the roots are stubborn.

now i think i could manage if the hair is straight but haven't done it yet. :look:

Priss Pot

Makeup + Bench Pressing
BUMP

My hair isn't thick, but I'm trying to figure out ways to french braid safely without risking ripping my ends since they like to tangle amongst themselves. I make sure that my hair is thoroughly detangled, and I apply coconut oil + slippery leave-in on damp hair to give slip prior to braiding. It seems to work, but I'd like to get an idea of what others with kinky/curly hair types do.

lovegymnasts

I french braid my twists and braids both traditionally and from my nape to the top of my head (upside down).
It would probably be relatively easy to french braid an old braid out.

koolkittychick

Did you try to stretch your hair before you braided? My sister has thick, coarse 4a hair and this works best for her; to stretch the hair in rubber bands while air drying (I think Kimmytube shows you how on YouTube), then braiding the stretched hair. I have fine hair, so it was no problem for me whether or not I stretched it, but the braids came out neater and lasted longer when I stretched my natural hair out.

Good luck!