Forgive Them, For They Do Not Know ...

loolalooh

Luke 23:34:
Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” And they divided His garments and cast lots.

I keep coming back to this verse because I'm struggling with the "they do not know what they do" part. When your offender approaches you with genuine remorse and repentance, that gives you something to work with. Forgiveness is a bit easier, IMO.

BUT when your offender has absolutely no remorse or repentance, then what is there to work with? In this verse, Jesus is 'working' with his offenders "not knowing what they do". And with that, they are forgiven. I'm struggling with this bit. Don't get me wrong ... I am more than happy that we have forgiveness through Him. That's not the issue here. I just want to comprehend how we are to model Him and be able to forgive in similar circumstances ... when the offender has no remorse.

For example, I think to this scenario: A guy named X murders someone you know. The guy is in no way regretful for what he did. He even makes excuses like he had to do it because he needed the money or he lies that it was in self defense. He gets sentenced to life in prison, etc. Even up until his own death, he feels nothing. Not an ounce of guilt.

How does one even begin to forgive this guy? He knew what he was doing. So did the men who nailed Jesus to the cross that day. What did Jesus mean by "they do not know what they do"? That they didn't know they were crucifying the Messiah? How can we apply "they do not know what they do" to the case of Mr. X (or can we)?

Please clarify this for me. Thanks, ladies. I'm really struggling with this.

Renovating

It is possible to have a basic knowledge of a certain action and still be ignorant to the depth of that action and its consequences.

Example: Someone can be aware that sex before marriage is wrong and still not aware that fornication is not only sinning against God, but against themselves as well.

I think if we all reflect on our lives, there are things we've done and did not receive that epiphany/revelation to allow us to understand the full repercussions of actions until we were much more mature.

I hope this makes sense.

*** I just thought about a documentary I watched on KERA WORLD yesterday that this applies to. Professor Gates was interviewing this inmate and he spoke about how when he was younger he thought he constant trips back and forth to prison were fun. Yes, he said fun. He went on to say he realizes that he was foolish then and now that he's more mature his perception has changed. This is a prime example, because logically, we think someone would understand that incarceration is NOT fun and games, but someone can appear to know what their doing and in reality not have a clue.

Last edited:

loolalooh

It is possible to have a basic knowledge of a certain action and still be ignorant to the depth of that action and its consequences.

Example: Someone can be aware that sex before marriage is wrong and still not aware that fornication is not only sinning against God, but against themselves as well.

I think if we all reflect on our lives, there are things we've done and did not receive that epiphany/revelation to allow us to understand the full repercussions of actions until we were much more mature.

I hope this makes sense.

*** I just thought about a documentary I watched on KERA WORLD yesterday that this applies to. Professor Gates was interviewing this inmate and he spoke about how when he was younger he thought he constant trips back and forth to prison were fun. Yes, he said fun. He went on to say he realizes that he was foolish then and now that he's more mature his perception has changed. This is a prime example, because logically, we think someone would understand that incarceration is NOT fun and games, but someone can appear to know what their doing and in reality not have a clue.

Thank you so much for your explanation, especially about the inmate and especially the bolded. It makes sense.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
Hi, Loohlaloh,

We really should consider the source: Jesus. He saw the whole picture and those Romans who pierced him in his side couldn't -- they were just doing their jobs and saw no consequence to their actions. I don't believe these words Jesus uttered during the Crucifixion should be used loosely or with any vengeance in mind. It's a way one of the greatest of examples of seeing people with eyes of compassion, not pity or anger for being wronged. Those are two different perspectives. Christ's perspective was the former, because he had a mission to complete the Covenant, and He wouldn't let his human emotions get the best of Him as he shed his blood for them. Nor would he exercise his power to kill them all, because he could.

I believe it's a very deep place to be in one's spirit to say that, because there has to be compassion (wanting the best for someone) and no presence of 'self' (no benefit to us whatsoever). If Jesus can do it, so can we.

HTH!

loolalooh

Hi, Loohlaloh,

We really should consider the source: Jesus. He saw the whole picture and those Romans who pierced him in his side couldn't -- they were just doing their jobs and saw no consequence to their actions. I don't believe these words Jesus uttered during the Crucifixion should be used loosely or with any vengeance in mind. It's a way one of the greatest of examples of seeing people with eyes of compassion, not pity or anger for being wronged. Those are two different perspectives. Christ's perspective was the former, because he had a mission to complete the Covenant, and He wouldn't let his human emotions get the best of Him as he shed his blood for them. Nor would he exercise his power to kill them all, because he could.

I believe it's a very deep place to be in one's spirit to say that, because there has to be compassion (wanting the best for someone) and no presence of 'self' (no benefit to us whatsoever). If Jesus can do it, so can we.

HTH!

Thank you, Laela! Thanks for making the distinction that He was speaking from a place of compassion. This helps. I think I was looking too hard at the literal meaning of the phrase "they do not know what they do" and totally missed the big picture. Compassion and no presence of self. Thanks again.