REPENTANCE: Let's discuss the definition...

What does it mean to REPENT?

• Confess your sins to God & ask for forgiveness, then completely turn away from sin

Votes: 21 100.0%
  • Feeling sorry for your sins, then desire to change for the better and "try" not to sin again

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've heard a couple of different definitions of the word repent.

1. Confess your sins to God and ask for forgiveness, then completely turn away from sin

2. Feeling remorse, sorry, self-reproach, or regret for the sins you committed, then have the desire to change for the better and "try" not to sin again

The second definition seems more realistic, however, I know the first definition is possible with one or more sins(maybe not all) if your heart is really right with God.

So how do you feel about true repentance? What is your stance on the issue? We all sin and fall short of His glory. Is repentance a daily act or do we really need to buckle down and stop all these sins that we commit?

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Last edited:

tailormade84

I have a great document on this but it's at home...imma post it when i get back home :)

ETA: The document :)

Teshuvá is the key concept in the rabbinic view of sin, repentance, and forgiveness. The tradition is not of one mind on the steps one must take to repent of one's sins. However, almost all agree that repentance requires five elements: recognition of one's sins as sins (hakarát ha-chét'), remorse (charatá), desisting from sin (azivát ha-chét'), restitution where possible (peira'ón), and confession (vidúi).

"Recognition of one's sins as sins" is an act of one's intelligence and moral conscience. It involves knowing that certain actions are sinful, recognizing such actions in oneself as more than just lapses of praxis, and analyzing one's motives for sin as deeply as one can. For example, stealing from someone must be seen not only as a crime but also as a sin against another human and a violation of God's demands of us within the covenant. It also involves realizing that such acts are part of deeper patterns of relatedness and that they are motivated by some of the most profound and darkest elements in our being.

"Remorse" is a feeling. It is composed of feelings of regret, of failure to maintain one's moral standards. It may also encompass feelings of being lost or trapped, of anguish, and perhaps of despair at our own sinfulness, as well as a feeling of being alienated from God and from our own deepest spiritual roots, of having abandoned our own inner selves.

"Desisting from sin" is neither a moral-intellectual analysis nor a feeling; it is an action. It is a ceasing from sin, a desisting from the patterns of sinful action to which we have become addicted. Desisting from sin involves actually stopping the sinful action, consciously repressing thoughts and fantasies about the sinful activity, and making a firm commitment never to commit the sinful act again.

"Restitution" is the act of making good, as best one can, for any damage done. If one has stolen, one must return the object or pay compensation. If one has damaged another's reputation, one must attempt to correct the injury to the offended party.

"Confession" has two forms: ritual and personal. Ritual confession requires recitation of the liturgies of confession at their proper moments in the prayer life of the community. Personal confession requires individual confession before God as needed or inserting one's personal confession into the liturgy at designated moments. The more specific the personal confession, the better. One who follows these steps to teshuva is called a "penitent" (chozér be-teshuvá).

Last edited:

Poohbear

Ouu...can't wait to see...

Is it the Unrepentant Repenter document by any chance? I read that before, and it was so confusing to me. It made it seem like no one truly repents of sin.

PinkPebbles

If or when I have sinned, the sin was against God and my very own soul. Therefore, I had to first ask God for His forgiveness and then forgive myself.

When the Holy Spirit dwells in a person you will feel remorseful for your sin due to conviction. The conviction leads me to want to do better and eventually turn away from whatever had me in bondage.

dicapr

I think it is a combination of both. We must truly want forgiveness, feel remorse, and truly desire to never commit that sin again. We should not plan to commit that sin. I cannot say that someone has not repented if they become weak and sin again.

PinkPebbles

I think it is a combination of both. We must truly want forgiveness, feel remorse, and truly desire to never commit that sin again. We should not plan to commit that sin. I cannot say that someone has not repented if they become weak and sin again.

@ the bolded true. I'd like to add; only the Lord knows when someone has truly repented.

We can deceive ourselves and others, but we cannot fool God.

King Saul and King David both sinned. However, God still claimed David to be a man after His heart. Why not King Saul!?!. Because the Lord truly knows who is really for Him and those who have a sincere heart.

Reminiscing

When I first read each statement, I thought they were both correct but after re-reading I went with definition #1 because feeling remorseful and desiring to change is simply not enough. You have to actually confess your sins to God and ask him to truly change your heart. The act of repentance is asking for forgiveness and then believing you have been forgiven. To me whether you sin again or not is secondary to the actual act of repenting. Learning to commit to God is part of growing in your Christian walk. Repenting and committing go hand in hand but they are not the same.

Last edited:

PinkPebbles

So how do you feel about true repentance? What is your stance on the issue? We all sin and fall short of His glory. Is repentance a daily act or do we really need to buckle down and stop all these sins that we commit?

Feel free to share your thoughts.

Poohbear – I truly don’t mean to take over your thread, but this is a good discussion. On my way home I meditated on your question.

I believe a lot of us have a hard time with true repentance because of pride, unforgiveness, offense, bitterness, blaming others, and lack of faith in our hearts.

As a result, it is hard to lay prostrate before the Lord and sincerely ask Him for clean hands and a pure heart. To give us truth in the inward parts and to renew a right spirit within us. Instead, we make excuses for our weaknesses, and say we just can’t help it.

In actuality, (for example) we don’t want to end that unequally yoked relationship because we don’t trust that God would send the right one along. Or we don’t want to stop the bad habit of gossiping / slander because it takes hard work to deal with those internal insecurities.

In the bible, the adulterous lady was dragged out into the crowd for her sin. Jesus was gentle and kind towards her. He had forgiven her and said sin no more.

I believe a lot of us (myself included) sometimes take the Lord’s grace and mercy for granted. I’m far from perfect but we are supposed to allow the power of the Holy Spirit to help us overcome.

Poohbear

Poohbear – I truly don’t mean to take over your thread, but this is a good discussion. On my way home I meditated on your question.

I believe a lot of us have a hard time with true repentance because of pride, unforgiveness, offense, bitterness, blaming others, and lack of faith in our hearts.

As a result, it is hard to lay prostrate before the Lord and sincerely ask Him for clean hands and a pure heart. To give us truth in the inward parts and to renew a right spirit within us. Instead, we make excuses for our weaknesses, and say we just can’t help it.

In actuality, (for example) we don’t want to end that unequally yoked relationship because we don’t trust that God would send the right one along. Or we don’t want to stop the bad habit of gossiping / slander because it takes hard work to deal with those internal insecurities.

In the bible, the adulterous lady was dragged out into the crowd for her sin. Jesus was gentle and kind towards her. He had forgiven her and said sin no more.

I believe a lot of us (myself included) sometimes take the Lord’s grace and mercy for granted. I’m far from perfect but we are supposed to allow the power of the Holy Spirit to help us overcome.
Oh, I don't feel like you are taking over the thread. Your posts are very helpful. And I also agree with your posts. We do take God's grace and forgiveness for granted, and Romans 6 speaks against this. We do use his grace as a liscense to sin. But what can we do if we sincerely feel bad about the sins that we commit? It's like we can stop lying, fornicating, thinking evil thoughts, doing ungodly activities, gossip, bad language, et cetera, but then, we find ourselves doing that same sin we just ask God forgiveness for. It's a battle between the flesh and the spirit. We know what we can do to be stronger and resist temptation or the desire to sin, but how can we go about continuing to avoid sin? Is it a matter of the heart? the mind?

Crown

...but how can we go about continuing to avoid sin?

By the process of identification with Jesus-Christ.

Rom. 6.12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. 6.13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
6.19 I speak after the manner of men because of the infirmity of your flesh: for as ye have yielded your members servants to uncleanness and to iniquity unto iniquity; even so now yield your members servants to righteousness unto holiness.

1Cor. 9.25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible. 9.26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air: 9.27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

Crown

... Is it a matter of the heart? the mind?

Not you, not me!

Rom. 7.24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? 7.25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

But By the Spirit of the Lord. It is a process and it requires faith, obedience and commitment from you(general) :

Ps. 51.10 Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.

Rom. 8.9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

8.13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
8.14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

8.26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

8.30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified.

13.14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.

Col. 3.1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 3.2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

Eph. 6.10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 6.11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 6.13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 6.14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 6.15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 6.16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 6.17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 6.18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Phi. 2.13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Reminiscing

Eph. 6.10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. 6.11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 6.13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 6.14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness; 6.15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 6.16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 6.17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 6.18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Thanks Crown! This is the same scripture I was about to post. I also want to add in Ephesians 6:12.

12For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

We shouldn't underestimate the power of the devil. God is above all powers of this world but the devil is no weakling, especially when it comes to human flesh. Repenting is not enough to keep us from sinning. We need to seek the power of God which comes by receiving the Holy Spirit. This is confirmed in Romans 8:9, which Crown quoted above. The Spirit has to dwell within us in order to be successful at refraining from sinning.

Repentance is an important step in our walk with God. It starts the change in our lives but it's only the first step. When we accept salvation, we are babies in God's eyes, we're starting over and we have to grow and mature into strong soldiers of the gospel. Praying, reading the word, and really consecrating your life to God will help you get there.

Aviah

What a conviction...
Whoo! Well, um repentance is a change of direction. What is needed first in change of direction is change of heart. We can repent and aim not to sin again, but let's be real, if we could stop sinning completely than what would be the worth of the blood of Christ? I voted the top one, but actually now am leaning towards the bottom, as we cannot predict the future and can simply do our best not to sin again. Obviously not doing sin X again is optimal, but they are somehow connected IMHO. You have to try not to commit the sin again, everyday, to fully stop doing it. You know?

ETA: sometimes repentence isn't enough, deliverance is needed from strongholds.

PinkPebbles

It's a battle between the flesh and the spirit. We know what we can do to be stronger and resist temptation or the desire to sin, but how can we go about continuing to avoid sin? Is it a matter of the heart? the mind?

Poohbear - I agree with Crown and Reminscing.

For me I know that I cannot do anything on my own. I need Jesus and the help of the Holy Spirit. Apostle Paul reminds us of God's help in 2 Corinthians 12:9 My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.

Prayer strengthens me and reading the word of God daily helps renew and transform my mind. My environment and association plays a part as well.

I also agree with what Aviah stated about deliverance from strongholds. In some cases people need to have deliverance prayer administered by an ordained Elder. Jesus cast out seven demons from Mary Magdalene and she was healed and made whole.

PinkPebbles

Poohbear - I hope you do not mind, but I wanted to come back and expound on your question: How to continually avoid sin?

This discussion has allowed me to go deeper into the word for answers that give examples.

The bible tells us in 1 Peter 5:8
8Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [[a]in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.

This scripture lets me know that we need to be well balanced in word, deed, and action; as well as knowing our weaknesses.

Asking the Lord for the gift of discernment will also help us to be well balanced, especially in unfamiliar territory.

Similarly, I read Luke chapter 4. And if we study the verses on how Jesus was tempted in the wilderness; we would see those same patterns that Satan still uses to this day.

The bible tells us in Luke 4:2 that Jesus just came off of a 40 day fast without any food.
2For (during) forty days in the wilderness (desert), where He was tempted ([a]tried, tested exceedingly) by the devil. And He ate nothing during those days, and when they were completed, He was hungry.(A)

3Then the devil said to Him, If You are the Son of God, order this stone to turn into a loaf [of bread].

We see right there that the enemy doesn't play fair. When we are at our weakest or most vulnerable state, here he comes....

Although Jesus was probably physically weak after his 40 day fast, He was not spiritually weak. As it is written...
4And Jesus replied to him, It is written, Man shall not live and be sustained by (on) bread alone [b]but by every word and expression of God.(B)

We need to ask ourselves when we are weak or vulnerable; What do we do? Where do we go? Who do we turn to?

If we follow Jesus example, He knew the word that was already written. Therefore, we need to know the word of God, study to show ourselves approved.

Come to think about it the devil deceived Eve by twisting the word of God.

Secondly, we need to make sure our relationship with God is sincere and genuine. We have confessed and believe in our hearts that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior. (Romans 10:9-11)

As a result, we are confident, unmovable, and unshakeable, in His love, protection, and support. We know that we belong to God, children of the most High God. We are then convinced of the word spoken in Jeremiah 29:11-13

11For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

12Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.

13And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

Mrs.TheBronx

Poohbear - I hope you do not mind, but I wanted to come back and expound on your question: How to continually avoid sin?

This discussion has allowed me to go deeper into the word for answers that give examples.

The bible tells us in 1 Peter 5:8
8Be well balanced (temperate, sober of mind), be vigilant and cautious at all times; for that enemy of yours, the devil, roams around like a lion roaring [[a]in fierce hunger], seeking someone to seize upon and devour.

This scripture lets me know that we need to be well balanced in word, deed, and action; as well as knowing our weaknesses.

Asking the Lord for the gift of discernment will also help us to be well balanced, especially in unfamiliar territory.

Similarly, I read Luke chapter 4. And if we study the verses on how Jesus was tempted in the wilderness; we would see those same patterns that Satan still uses to this day.

The bible tells us in Luke 4:2 that Jesus just came off of a 40 day fast without any food.
2For (during) forty days in the wilderness (desert), where He was tempted ([a]tried, tested exceedingly) by the devil. And He ate nothing during those days, and when they were completed, He was hungry.(A)

3Then the devil said to Him, If You are the Son of God, order this stone to turn into a loaf [of bread].

We see right there that the enemy doesn't play fair. When we are at our weakest or most vulnerable state, here he comes....

Although Jesus was probably physically weak after his 40 day fast, He was not spiritually weak. As it is written...
4And Jesus replied to him, It is written, Man shall not live and be sustained by (on) bread alone [b]but by every word and expression of God.(B)

We need to ask ourselves when we are weak or vulnerable; What do we do? Where do we go? Who do we turn to?

If we follow Jesus example, He knew the word that was already written. Therefore, we need to know the word of God, study to show ourselves approved.

Come to think about it the devil deceived Eve by twisting the word of God.

Secondly, we need to make sure our relationship with God is sincere and genuine. We have confessed and believe in our hearts that Jesus Christ is our Lord and Savior. (Romans 10:9-11)

As a result, we are confident, unmovable, and unshakeable, in His love, protection, and support. We know that we belong to God, children of the most High God. We are then convinced of the word spoken in Jeremiah 29:11-13

11For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

12Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.

13And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.

I will be printing this to hang at my desk if u dont mind! Thanks!!!

deesquest

Repentance is the foundation of salvation. It is remorse, regret, guilt for committed sin and then turning completely away from sin. Confession is a part of that but, confession without repentance does nothing for your soul. We ask God to forgive us of all our committed sins when he saves us. Matt 1:21 says Jesus came to save his people from their sins, not in their sins. The woman at the well who was brought to Jesus and accused of adultery, Jesus told her, "Go and sin no more." 1 John 3 addresses the sin issue, one verse says, "whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." Sin is a trangression of the law. The law that we know-what we know to be sinful we must stop doing that and what we know to be right we must begin to do.
As babes in Christ we don't know much, but that we do know God expects us to obey-to love is to obey. Salvation gives us a power to cease from sin. 1 Peter 4:1-2 says: "he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God."

If God has all power to raise people from the dead, turn water into wine, part the sea surely he has power to give to us so that we don't have to sin. I often think of this example to help understand repentance and the sin question. A husband who is unfaithful, i.e. commimting adultery on his wife comes to confess and ask forgiveness. The wife grants forgiveness. The husband commits adultery again, the wife once again forgives. This husband continues to commit this sin--after a while the wife doesn't believe he is really repenting. He fells guilt, but not guilty enough to stop. Why would I take God for granted and continue to sin against him and expect forgiveness when I
I'm not really sorry enough to stop sinning against him? God gives power to really repent and walk in holiness and righteousness without sin. What a testament to his power.

This is an issue that non-Christians often have with the believer. Why do Christians commit the same sins I commit, yet say they are saved? I cannot and should not do what sinners do. There must be evidence in my life that I have been delivered, and the testament to the sinner is that if they want to they to can be delivered. We are new creatures in Christ, old things have passed away, behold all things are new.

makeupgirl

Repentance is a combination of both definitions. It's agreeing with God that the sin that you've committed is against his word and is out of his will and that with the aid of the Holy Spirit you're going to turn away from that sin and not commit it again.

Poohbear

Repentance is the foundation of salvation. It is remorse, regret, guilt for committed sin and then turning completely away from sin. Confession is a part of that but, confession without repentance does nothing for your soul. We ask God to forgive us of all our committed sins when he saves us. Matt 1:21 says Jesus came to save his people from their sins, not in their sins. The woman at the well who was brought to Jesus and accused of adultery, Jesus told her, "Go and sin no more." 1 John 3 addresses the sin issue, one verse says, "whosoever abideth in him sinneth not." Sin is a trangression of the law. The law that we know-what we know to be sinful we must stop doing that and what we know to be right we must begin to do.
As babes in Christ we don't know much, but that we do know God expects us to obey-to love is to obey. Salvation gives us a power to cease from sin. 1 Peter 4:1-2 says: "he that hath suffered in the flesh hath ceased from sin; that he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God."

If God has all power to raise people from the dead, turn water into wine, part the sea surely he has power to give to us so that we don't have to sin. I often think of this example to help understand repentance and the sin question. A husband who is unfaithful, i.e. commimting adultery on his wife comes to confess and ask forgiveness. The wife grants forgiveness. The husband commits adultery again, the wife once again forgives. This husband continues to commit this sin--after a while the wife doesn't believe he is really repenting. He fells guilt, but not guilty enough to stop. Why would I take God for granted and continue to sin against him and expect forgiveness when I
I'm not really sorry enough to stop sinning against him? God gives power to really repent and walk in holiness and righteousness without sin. What a testament to his power.

This is an issue that non-Christians often have with the believer. Why do Christians commit the same sins I commit, yet say they are saved? I cannot and should not do what sinners do. There must be evidence in my life that I have been delivered, and the testament to the sinner is that if they want to they to can be delivered. We are new creatures in Christ, old things have passed away, behold all things are new.
I enjoyed reading your post. The bolded part is the reason I started this thread. As a Christian believer, I too ask that same question as the non-Christian. Why are Christians doing the same sins over and over again? It cannot be true repentance. And are we really taking God's grace and mercy for granted when we confess, ask forgiveness, and then go back to that same sin even if we commit that sin a day, week, month, or year later? As a Christian, can we become sinless like Jesus Christ eventually while we are still living?

deesquest

Poohbear, the answer to your question is yes! Yes we can live a sinfree and holy life. I know this goes against the grain of nominal religion, but it can be done. You must have an understanding of what is sin and how God can give you power through a saved and sanctified experience. I have lived this way for 23 years by the grace of God and know many others who do. It's a beautiful life, a simple life, a clean life. There is no better feeling than to be able at the end of the day to know you have not sinned against God.

Now since this is a public forum, I will address a few points. If you have more questions feel free to send me a pm. I will give you my personal testimony and how God has given me victory!

Holiness is not something to be afraid of; God is Holy, an surely we don't have to be afraid of God. There are many misconceptions about holiness which have caused much confusion and reluctance. Webster's dictionary days holy means:"spiritually perfect, whole, sound; pure in heart; godly. These definitions concur with the nature of God and his Word. God is perfect, whole, sound, and pure. The issue is, can people really live like this? Most people deny the possibility that this kind of life can be lived. Let's ask ourselves a question, "Would God COMMAMD people to live holy if it wasn't possible? If he would, and has, then He is not holy Himself. That would defy the nature of God, if he commanded people to do something that was not possible.

The Bible is very plain and emphatic on this subject, holiness is the core of God's Word. 1Pet 1:15-16; Heb 12:14 In the following passages Jesus commanded two different people to "sin no more": John 5:14 Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole; sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee. Also John 8:11, She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, neither do I condemn thee; go, and sin no more.

Here are a few scriptures:
Titus 2:11-12
Roman 6:1-7, 12-13, 16-23
1 John 3:4-10
1 John 5:18
Gal 5:19-21
1 Cor 6:9-10
2 Cor 7:1
I could list others, but I'll stop there.

Living a sinless life doesn't mean I am not tempted. Jesus was tempted and so shall we be tempted. But just as He was tempted and sinned not, so can we be tempted and not sin. Sin is a willfull transgression against God's law..meaning you know it is sin and you do it despite knowing better. What should you do? Resist the devil and he will flee. God said "just say NO" long before Nancy Reagan came up with her say no to drugs campaign. What is this power many speak of that God gives? Part of it is right here in this area of our life-the power to resist sin.

Poohbear, I hope this helps. It is my sincere desire to answer your question.

discobiscuits

Not you, not me!

but how can we go about continuing to avoid sin? Is it a matter of the heart? the mind?

Both mind and heart. Sin & repentance are heart conditions. The mind (knowledge/wisdom) is where it begins. (Too many scriptures....)

The Mind​
Luk 10:27 He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Rom 7:23 but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members.

Rom 7:25 Thanks be to God-through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Rom 8:6 The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;

Rom 8:7 the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.

Rom 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is-his good, pleasing and perfect will.

The Heart​

Mat 15:18 But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.'

Mat 15:19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander.

Mar 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.'

Mar 12:33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices."

Luk 6:45 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.

Act 1:24 Then they prayed, "Lord, you know everyone's heart

Act 8:21 You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God.

Rom 10:10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved.

Poohbear

@ deesquest, very powerful post! I PM'ed you.

@ 1star, thank you for the additional scriptures!

Poohbear

Here is a document I read long time ago that I feel is relevant to this thread:

"The Unrepentant Repenter"
BY: Jim Elliff

The believer in Christ is a lifelong repenter. He begins with repentance and continues in repentance. (Rom. 8:12-13) David sinned giant sins but fell without a stone at the mere finger of the prophet because he was a repenter at heart (2 Sam. 12:7-13). Peter denied Christ three times but suffered three times the remorse until he repented with bitter tears (Mt. 26:75). Every Christian is called a repenter, but he must be a repenting repenter. The Bible assumes the repentant nature of all true believers in its instruction on church discipline. A man unwilling to repent at the loving rebuke of the church can be considered nothing more than "a heathen and a tax collector." (Mt. 18:15-17)

What is repentance?

Repentance is a change of mind regarding sin and God, an inward turning from sin to God, which is known by its fruit—obedience. (Mt. 3:8; Acts 26:20; Lk. 13:5-9) It is hating what you once loved and loving what you once hated, exchanging irresistible sin for an irresistible Christ. The true repenter is cast on God. Faith is his only option. When he fully knows that sin utterly fails him, God takes him up. (Mt. 9:13b) He will have faith or he will have despair; conviction will either deliver him or devour him.

The religious man often deceives himself in his repentance. The believer may sin the worst of sins, it is true; but to remain in the love of sin, or to be comfortable in the atmosphere of sin, is a deadly sign, for only repenters inhabit heaven. The deceived repenter would be a worse sinner if he could, but society holds him back. He can tolerate and even enjoy other worldly professing Christians and pastors well enough, but does not desire holy fellowship or the fervent warmth of holy worship. If he is intolerant of a worship service fifteen minutes "too long," how will he feel after fifteen million years into the eternal worship service of heaven? He aspires to a heaven of lighthearted ease and recreation—an extended vacation; but a heaven of holiness would be hell to such a man. Yet God is holy, and God is in heaven. He cannot be blamed for sending the unholy man to hell despite his most articulate profession (Heb. 12:14).

What are the Substitutes for true Repentance?

1. You may reform in the actions without repenting in the heart. (Ps. 5 1: 16-17; Joel 2:13) This is a great deception, for the love of sin remains. (I Jn. 2:15-17; Acts 8:9-24) At this the Pharisees were experts. (Mk. 7:1-23) The heart of a man is his problem. A man may appear perfect in his actions but be damned for his heart. His actions are at best self-serving and hypocritical. What comes from a bad heart is never good. "Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening? Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh." (Jas. 3:11-12)

2. You may experience the emotion of repentance without the effect of it. Here is a kind of amnesia. You see the awful specter of sin in the mirror and flinch out of horror yet immediately forget what kind of person you saw (Jas. 1:23-24). It is true, repentance includes sincere emotion, an affection for God and a disaffection for sin. Torrents of sorrow may flood the repenter's heart, and properly so (Jas. 4:8-10). But there is such a thing as a temporary emotion in the mere semblance of repentance; this emotion has very weak legs and cannot carry the behavior in the long walk of obedience. Your sorrow may even be prolonged. Yet if it does not arrive at repentance, it is of the world and is a living death—and maybe more (2 Cor. 7: 10). It is an old deceiver. Judas had such remorse but "went and hanged himself." (Mt. 27:3-5)

3. You may confess the words of a true repenter and never repent. (Mt. 21:28-32; 1 Jn. 2:4, 4:20) Confession by itself is not repentance. Confession moves the lips; repentance moves the heart. Naming an act as evil before God is not the same as leaving it. Though your confession may be honest and emotional, it is not enough unless it expresses a true change of heart. There are those who confess only for the show of it, whose so-called repentance may be theatrical but not actual. If you express repentance to appear successful, you will not be successful at repenting. You will speak humbly but sin arrogantly. Saul gave the model confession (I Sam. 15:24-26) and later went to hell. Repentance "from the teeth out" is no repentance.

4. You may repent for the fear of reprisal alone and not for the hatred of sin. Any man will stop sinning when caught or relatively sure he will be, unless there is insufficient punishment or shame attached (I Tim. 1:8-11). When there are losses great enough to get his attention, he will reform. If this is the entire motive of his repentance, he has not repented at all. It is the work of law, but not grace. Men can be controlled by fear, but what is required is a change of heart. Achan admitted his sin after being caught but would not have otherwise. Find his bones in the valley of Achor; his soul, most likely, in hell. (Josh. 7:16-26)

5. You may talk against sin in public like a true repenter but never repent in private. (Mt. 23:1-3) The exercise of the mouth cannot change the heart. Your sin is like a prostitute. You are speaking against your lover in public but embracing her in the bedroom. She is not particular about being run down in public if she can have your full attention in private. "Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God?" (Jas. 4:4)

6. You may repent primarily for temporal gains rather than the glory of God. There are gains for the repenter, but the final motivation for repenting cannot be selfish. Self is a dead, stinking carcass to be discarded. We are to repent because God is worthy and is our respected authority, even if we gain nothing. Indeed, our repenting may appear to lose us more than our sin had gained. (Mt. 16:24-26; Phil. 3:7-8) And this is a test of true repentance.

7. You may repent of lesser sins for the purpose of avoiding the greater sins. (Lk. 11:42) We try to salve our nagging conscience by some minor exercise of repentance, which is really no repentance at all. The whole heart is changed in the believer. The half repenter is a divided man: part against sin and part for it; part against Christ, part for Him. But one or the other must win out, for man cannot serve God and mammon (or any other idol); he must love the one and hate the other. (Mt. 6:24)

8. You may repent so generally that you never repent of any specific sin at all. The man who repents in too great a generality is likely covering his sins. (Prov. 28:13) If there are no particular changes, there is no repenting. Sin has many heads, like the mythological Hydra. It cannot be dealt with in general, but its heads must be cut off one by one.

9. You may repent for the love of friends and religious leaders and not repent for the love of God. (Isa. 1: 10-17) A man talked into repentance may reform for the love of friends or the respect of the spiritually minded, yet do nothing substantial. If a man turns from sin without turning to God, he will find his sin has only changed its name and is hidden behind his pride. Now it will be harder to rout for its subterfuge. You have loved others but not God. And you have loved yourself most of all. Lot's wife left the city of sin at the insistence of an angel and for the love of her family, but turned back. She had left her heart. "Remember Lot's wife." (Gen. 19:12-26; Lk. 17:32)

10. 'You may confess the finished action of sin and not repent from the continuing habit of sin. If a man is honest, he is a good man in human terms; but he is not a repenting man until the sin is stabbed to death. He must be a murderer if he would be God's: "For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live." (Rom. 8: 13) God knows what you have done; what He wants is obedience. (Lk. 6:46)

11. You may attempt repentance of your sin while consciously leaving open the door of its opportunity. A man who says " I repent" but will not leave the source or environment of that sin is suspect. Though some situations which invite temptation cannot be changed, most can. A man who will not flee the setting of his temptation when he is able still loves his sin. A mouse is foolish to build his nest under the cat's bed. "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts." (Rom. 13:14)

12. You may make an effort to repent of some sins without repenting of all the sin you know. The businessman learns to show concern for the needs of his clients, yet he batters his wife through neglect. Another gives his money in the offering plate weekly but steals time from his employer daily. Every man boasts of some sins conquered, but true repentance is a repulsion of sin as a whole. The repenter hates all sin, though he fails more readily in some than in others. He may not know all his sins, but what he knows he spurns. Repentance is universal in the believer; the spirit is willing even when the flesh is weak (Mt. 26:41).

Repentance and faith are bound together. A repenting man has no hope for obedience without faith in the source of all holiness, God Himself. In repenting of sins, he loses his self-sufficiency. God is his sanctifier. (Jude 24-25; 1 Thess. 5:23-24; 1 Pet. 1:5)
Repentance is a gift of God (Acts 11:19; 2 Tim. 2:25) and a duty of man (Acts 17:30; Lk. 13:3). You will know if it has been granted by the exercise of it. (Phil. 2:12-13) Do not wait for it; run toward it. "Be zealous and repent." (Rev. 3:19) Pursue it and you will find it; forget it and perish.

Vonnieluvs08

Here is a document I read long time ago that I feel is relevant to this thread:

"The Unrepentant Repenter"
BY: Jim Elliff

Repentance and faith are bound together. A repenting man has no hope for obedience without faith in the source of all holiness, God Himself. In repenting of sins, he loses his self-sufficiency. God is his sanctifier. (Jude 24-25; 1 Thess. 5:23-24; 1 Pet. 1:5)
Repentance is a gift of God (Acts 11:19; 2 Tim. 2:25) and a duty of man (Acts 17:30; Lk. 13:3). You will know if it has been granted by the exercise of it. (Phil. 2:12-13) Do not wait for it; run toward it. "Be zealous and repent." (Rev. 3:19) Pursue it and you will find it; forget it and perish.

Thank you for this article Poohbear. I know personally I have been struggling with true repentance in some of my sins and this just really was a blessing. To say I feel convicted is an understatement, but acknowledgement of my sins and shortcomings and going before the Lord with them has truly been a part of my growth (I feel).

@bolded. This was very encouraging.