for those who use henna

ChocolateCutee

I've used henna 3 times in the last 3 months. i henna once a month. i was wondering if that was too much. i leave it on for an hour then follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
I usually henna after i've had in a protective style, i just want to know if hennaering every month would be bad for my hair /images/graemlins/confused.gif

hey ChocolateCutee /images/graemlins/wave.gif I think that it's pretty safe for you to use henna once a month as long as you aren't using a hardcore protein that same month.

Can someone explain the benefits of using henna. I was talking w/ a women in my class(she's from India) about shedding and she told me to use some henna, and massage it in my scalp. She told me to mix it w/ some tea, and lemon juice. Im not exactly sure how Im suppose to prepare it, but she hasnt giving me the instructions yet.
Didnt have much time to discuss w/ her about the benefits of henna, so I was hoping someone here could help me out.

Thanx Ladies

From everydayhenna.com FAQs--

[ QUOTE ]
If you wear your hair natural and chemical free, henna will also strengthen and benefit your hair. Henna use will temporarily...from washing to washing...relax the curl pattern of your natural hair. Henna will not straighten your hair. Henna will not permanently remove your curls. It simply loosens the curl pattern some. Because natural hair varies in degree of tightness of curl, the degree the curl pattern is loosened will vary as well. So know that you can use henna without loosing your natural curls. Henna also helps to detangle hair.

Henna benefits the hair by strengthening it...regardless of how you describe your hair. Henna will color and condition your hair and slightly and temporarily loosen the curl pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

People with relaxers can get similar results from neutral Hennalucent, Gold Medal Herbal Tame or lotus powder (from the everydayhenna site). Natural henna is rec'd for chemically treated hair...

Prepare a snack, get comfy and check out the "Paging the Hennaphilic Gals" thread, too. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks everyone for your replies.
I boil some water and add it to the henna. i then squeeze some lemon juice in it in order for the henna to realease the colour. I let it stay over night then use it in the morning on dry hair. i don't think there is there is a difference between applying it to dry or wet hair.
I only keep my on for an hour, but you can leave it on for much longer than that. i think 1-8 hours. but yhats way too long.

I only use half a pack of henna.

henna is a protein conditioner and id good for strength of the hair

I use henna about every 8 weeks, and I find my hair a bit hard afterwards (the first week). After deep conditioning a couple of times my hair is soft as usual. I have never noticed any change in my curl pattern.

It's too late to edit the typo in my post. It's supposed to say Natural henna is not recommended for chemically treated hair.

Back