Flexirod Set Experts-Help Me Please!!!

lonei

Hi ladies, I have searched alot about flexi rod sets but none of the threads seem to answer my specific questions. I am planning to do a flexirod set this weekend using the purple (large) flexirods. I have about 30 flexirods in total. My questions are:

1. How do you part the sections, i.e. do you say first start with a horizontal row at the back and make that in to squares?

2. Do you start rolling at the front or the back of the head and why?

3. Do you have or know of any photo's with examples?

4. Do you use a hooded dryer and if so how long is your hair, and how long does it take to dry?

5. How do you maintain the set overnight?

Thanks experts!!!

Caramela

1. How do you part the sections, i.e. do you say first start with a horizontal row at the back and make that in to squares?Make vertical rectangular parts, not horizontal like you do with normal rollers. You will be rolling spiral curls so the part and the roller are both held vertically. Begin with the end and wrap it one time around the bottom of the flexi rod in a circular motion (think- like how you roll your hair with regular rollers. This way, the bottom of your spiral has a nice spring to it. If you skip this step, your spiral curl will look "drunk and droopy" lol) . Next in a spiral manner, proceed to roll the rest of the hair up the length of the flexirod. When the curler is taut against your scalp, fold the top of the roller down. This will secure the rod into place

2. Do you start rolling at the front or the back of the head and why? I start rolling in the back, and work my way to the top. The rods are bulky, and it just makes the sections easier to roll, if you start from the back.

3. Do you have or know of any photo's with examples? I have pictures of my own set using the purple rods. It's too large to attach, but I can email you a copy. Just PM me your email address.

4. Do you use a hooded dryer and if so how long is your hair, and how long does it take to dry? I don't use a hooded dryer, my hair is about 2 inches longer than brastrap, I normally dry overnight.

5. How do you maintain the set overnight? After you "pluck" the curls, you can maintain overnight by loosely gathering your curls in a very high ponytail and covering with a silk bonnet. In the morning shake curls and spray lightly with an oil sheen.

HTH!!!

syze6

I actually did a set last night on dry hair with the purple ones. My hair is an inch past bra strap. I found that my curls weren't tight in the morning. I am goign to try again, this time with smaller ones. It was easy to roll.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
1. How do you part the sections, i.e. do you say first start with a horizontal row at the back and make that in to squares?
First I make a side part the way I want my hair to lay. Starting at the front I make a vertical part and then make smal horizontal parts so that each section has 3 layers.

2. Do you start rolling at the front or the back of the head and why?
I start spiralling up the roller going towards the back of my head. I do all 3 sections and then move onto a another vertical part that I then seperate into 3 setions.

3. Do you have or know of any photo's with examples?
My pics only show the final result, sorry.

4. Do you use a hooded dryer and if so how long is your hair, and how long does it take to dry?
I dry under a hooded dryer it takse about hour to a hour and twenty mins (I have thick, bsl hair)

5. How do you maintain the set overnight?
I bend forward and pile all the curls on top of my head and cover with a satin bonnet. When I wake up I add serum till the ends, shake and go.

Thanks experts!!! Your welcome! :)

Caramela

byrdmail said:
Caramela, do you use any setting lotion?

Yes, I use Motions foaming wrap lotion. I find that my flexi rods last longest with this product and it's very soft, no crispy crunchy hair!

shalom

GIRL!!!!!!!!! Your hair is beautiful, this is my first time viewing your fotki and I just had to say way to go LOVELY LOCKS.

jaded_faerie

Caramela said:
1. How do you part the sections, i.e. do you say first start with a horizontal row at the back and make that in to squares?Make vertical rectangular parts, not horizontal like you do with normal rollers. You will be rolling spiral curls so the part and the roller are both held vertically. Begin with the end and wrap it one time around the bottom of the flexi rod in a circular motion (think- like how you roll your hair with regular rollers. This way, the bottom of your spiral has a nice spring to it. If you skip this step, your spiral curl will look "drunk and droopy" lol) . Next in a spiral manner, proceed to roll the rest of the hair up the length of the flexirod. When the curler is taut against your scalp, fold the top of the roller down. This will secure the rod into place

2. Do you start rolling at the front or the back of the head and why? I start rolling in the back, and work my way to the top. The rods are bulky, and it just makes the sections easier to roll, if you start from the back.

3. Do you have or know of any photo's with examples? I have pictures of my own set using the purple rods. It's too large to attach, but I can email you a copy. Just PM me your email address.

4. Do you use a hooded dryer and if so how long is your hair, and how long does it take to dry? I don't use a hooded dryer, my hair is about 2 inches longer than brastrap, I normally dry overnight.

5. How do you maintain the set overnight? After you "pluck" the curls, you can maintain overnight by loosely gathering your curls in a very high ponytail and covering with a silk bonnet. In the morning shake curls and spray lightly with an oil sheen.

HTH!!!

Im going to try this method next weekend! thank you :)

caligirl

I'm not an expert because I got my hair done in the salon, but here is what my stylist did:

1. use curly pudding as the setting lotion. take a fine tooth comb and dip the end in curly pudding then comb thru the section of hair that you are going to roll. don't use too much. put a little brown gel on the ends of the section so that they stay smooth.

2. use different size rollers to give your hair a natural look. My stylist used orange, red and blue rollers.

3. make horizontal parts starting from the nape just like you are going to press your hair. In each horizontal part make a square. work your way up the head like this.

4. sit under a hooded dryer until your hair is totally dry! for me this means 2.5 hours. then after you take the rollers out, sit under the dryer for another 20 minutes to really set the curl

5. put a little oil on your fingertips and separate each curl into 2 or 3 pieces

6. spray the whole thing with shine spray.

7. tie a scarf arounf your head at night. This style is EASY to maintain for 2 weeks while doing nothing to your hair.

Pics in my album. HTH.

alexstin

LadyR said:
Looking at my signature picture what size rollers do you suggest that I get?

It's a little hard to say. The smallest one's I've ever used were a little more than 1/2 in in diameter. The first time I bought them I just bought some that were close in size to the magnetic rollers I was using at the time. That was a pretty good size guage.:)

MissFallon

I just put the flexi-rods in my hair and I wanted to know if there were any tips on removing them so I don't mess up the curls?