Flexirod tips & suggestions

misskris816

Flexirod users: Can you provide tips you've learned through trial and error that helped you get the curl you wanted?

I tried to do a flexirod set with the gray rods yesterday and it didn't come out right. I searched through threads and tutorials last night but still didn't have much success. I don't want the curl to be too tight, but the curl fell very quickly. Honestly, it looked a mess.

My questions:
  • Is it better to use flexirods on wet or dry hair? (I tried to do it on dry hair.)
  • If you use the flexrods on dry hair, how long must you keep them in your hair? I blowed dried my hair for a few minutes and then left them in my hair for about two hours. Was this not long enough?
  • What products do you use (if any) to keep the curl?
Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

crlsweetie912

To me, using them the exact same way as you would do a rollerset would make the most sense. Same products, same drying time, etc. Two hours seems like way too little a time period for dry hair to set. Lonei has a fotki with flexirod sets.

chocolate01

I am natural but I used flexi rods all the time when I was relaxed. I always used mine on wet hair right after washing. I just made sure I sprayed each section with setting lotion and sat under the dryer for about 2 hours and let it airdry the rest of the day. I usually slept with the rollers overnight just to be sure. I think I have some older pics in my album. You have to look in my transitioning album from jan 2005, my pw is hairbreak.

Last edited:

dstdiva

flexirod is my summertime style of choice! i do mine on wet hair and since i have no patience, i let mine airdry over night. sometimes i use a setting lotion and sometimes i don't, but MAKE SURE that each section is very wet. good luck!

csmoot

It depends on how much curl you want. I use the purple flexirods (only 4 of them- 2 in the front and 2 in the back). I put Kera Care moisturizer on my hair and I put Elast QP mango butter on my ends. I put the rods in before I go to bed and then take them out in the morning and I have loose curly hair all day even and I workout everyday.

Glib Gurl

csmoot said:
It depends on how much curl you want. I use the purple flexirods (only 4 of them- 2 in the front and 2 in the back). I put Kera Care moisturizer on my hair and I put Elast QP mango butter on my ends. I put the rods in before I go to bed and then take them out in the morning and I have loose curly hair all day even and I workout everyday.

I pretty much do the same thing except I use the blue and gray ones, which are smaller than purple, and probably use about 20 -- so I put them around my whole head! I put them in before I go to sleep and then take them out in the morning. I finger comb to style. This is pretty much my style of choice most days.

bellesocialite

I am no pro at flexirods but I always find that rolling my hair up after washing is much better than dry. I let them dry overnight. However long it takes for your hair to dry, I'd say to let the hair dry thoroughly before taking them out. Failing to do so will leave your hair frizzy. I don't use any setting lotion or anything. I just use my leave-in conditioner. Good luck :)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to part the hair?? I have no idea how to part so that I get the maximum number of rollers on my head

la flaca

csmoot said:

Can you sleep with the flexirod? It doesn't sound comfy at all:perplexed

misskris816

la flaca said:
Can you sleep with the flexirod? It doesn't sound comfy at all:perplexed

I laid down on them for a little while. It's much easier to lay on them than it is to lay on rollers, but it wasn't very comfortable.