Super Thick Strands - MTG Not The Cause

Arcadian

I would have done a spinoff thread from the MSM thread but I don't know if this is actually the cause.

My hair is pretty fine and delicate, I would say its a 4 something because I don't know for sure what it really is. However, this morning when I was doing my hair I noticed these a lot of these big thick strands of hair (almost like a real thick thread):eek:

they're the same length of the rest of my crown hair. My hair is medium ty brown naturally but these strands were really black (and shiny) wavy but not straight. They're strong too; will not easily break.

I've seen them before here and there but never so many interspersed throughout my head!

I don't do MTG, that was a one time thing (failed experiment if you will) but I have used 1/2 teaspoon of MSM crystals every day for the last 2 years.

I know that some ladies have talked about this happening who have used MTG, but havent heard of this with anyone using MSM.

Anyone have this happen to them as well?

I guess I'm just curious because maybe its some sort of sulpher connection.

TIA

-A

Not the best quality but I tried to give a good idea what I mean. My normal hair is really hard to take pictures of in single strands.

Normal Hair

Weird Hair

I'm also quite curious if that means maybe my hair texture is changing (which only happend when I had chemo ages ago).

-A

on another board alot of ladies talked about MSM changing your hair texture, so i would guess that's what's happening. i have taken msm myself and noticed more coily/harder strands

:eek: That weird hair pics look like some strands of my hair when i first started to MTG and Biotin, i did a post on here...the hair was a lot longer than my regular hair and 4x the thickness, it felt very wirey....since taking MSM my hair is evened up and gone more wavy/softer

Normal Hair

Weird Hair

Thanks ladies.:Rose:

When I touch my hair it dosen't feel hard or anything. If anything it feels really thick! But when I see these kind of strands on my comb consistently it really makes me wonder if I'm doing the right thing. I don't take all that much MSM in comparison to some. Maybe I should knock it back?

Wantlonghealthyhair, did you have problems relaxing at all when your hair was doing this and did your hair become resistant at all?

I'm not supposed to relax until March(will be my 5month mark).

-A

I had the same thing happen (though it wasn't wavier just alot thicker) when I started taking care of my hair. I wasn't taking any vitamins at the time so I knew it had to be the relaxer stretching, no heat and minimal manipulation. It's neat to see how my hair is supposed to be after all these years!

Now I'm taking a multivitamin and MSM so it'll be interesting to see further effects.

I can't help you but I wanted to say...Wow! Those strands are realllllly thick. I didn't expect there to be THAT much of a difference!

I started taken multi-vitamins 3 months prior to taken Biotin and nothing happened. But after taken Biotin for the last month now and my texture changed. It loosened my curl pattern (I am 4 a/b) and it's alot more easier to comb. I am now 8 weeks post relaxer and usually by this time I could hardly get the comb through. Plus my hair is alot stronger. I wanted to add MSM to my vitamin cocktail, but I am afraid that too much of one thing will have an adverse effect.

I am sooo excited now, I think its the MSM also. I started out w/just a few here and there also, I'm hoping over time I'll have all those thick strands everywhere. I think your "Weird" will end up being your "Best" hair ever. Thanks for the info, :D .

Arcadian said:
Not the best quality but I tried to give a good idea what I mean. My normal hair is really hard to take pictures of in single strands.

Normal Hair

Weird Hair

I'm also quite curious if that means maybe my hair texture is changing (which only happend when I had chemo ages ago).

-A
WOW! That's an extreme difference in thickness!!!! :eek:

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I am sooo excited now, I think its the MSM also. I started out w/just a few here and there also, I'm hoping over time I'll have all those thick strands everywhere. I think your "Weird" will end up being your "Best" hair ever. Thanks for the info, :D .

I really hope it's the MSM. I've been using powdered MSM for the past year, but I've been in braids that whole time, so I really haven't had a chance to examine my strands much. Next time I take them down I'll have to do some investigating. Hopefully I'll have some weird strands too!

I've always taken crystalized MSM. (NASTY STUFF GAHHHH!) but as long as I could hide it my morning protien drink then its all good which is the only way I can take the stuff.

I don't know if that really accounts for the strands though, maybe so! It could have also been the missing link so to speak.

I take mutli's and have for many years. I take LEFs which are ginormus (and you have to take 9) but at least you can chew them and they don't taste horrible

I've done flax and fish oils since 1996.

I have a lot of hair, but its very fine and I've always had to be careful dealing with it whether its relaxed or natural (I NEVER had long hair as a child)

I'm glad its not coming in gray :lol:

Thanks all! I'm starting to feel at ease and not so disturbed...though its still freaky!

-A

Back