Not thick, fine but DENSE!

Evo-ny

This thread made me realize that I don't think I can (or should) do really long stretches because the fine strands just can't take it. Although I'm glad I'm going to make it to 16 weeks, I think 12-14 should be my max.

glamchick84

Yes, this all my hair allday everyday lol.....people/hairstyles either complain or compliment about how thick my hair is but the second you flat iron it, thinness nothing but thinness...how often do you ladies wash/cowash, because of the hair loss with detangling ?

~VicTorIAn~

me too! That's why my detangling sessions are ridiculously long. It's also why my hair flourishes in protective styles. The longer I leave it alone, the better.

sheba1

Hey Glam, before BKT if I keep my hair in braids under a wig, I would cowash daily, every other day, etc. Because my hair thickened with the frequent washing and I wouldn't have to detangle, either. Grew like wild fire with that, too :yep:

But if my hair is BKT'd I can... get this, now! Cowash daily and only detangle once a week. ** falls out** :lol:

Harina

Me, me, me! And sadly, I didn't even realize this until this year. And yes, people will be extra rough with it. I had to tell a new hair braider not to rake through my hair with her comb. She was like "What? Your hair's thick." I don't mind the density of my hair, but these strands are soooooo fine :nono:. Just have to baby it always.

2inspireU

This is definitely my hair. My hair looks thick in its natural state. However, once straighten one can see how fine my hair is.

sheba1

Mmhmm, AND my hair is light as a feather when straight. I guess because of the fine strands? Henna helps and as my hair gets longer it weighs down more. That helps. By MBL I should be pretty happy hehehehe

PearlyCurly

Yes..100%, every hair stylist i go to says the same thing "You have A LOT of hair" and i say "yeah its thick right??" and they reply "No its pretty fine!"

I can pretty much stretch my hair straight, as in i just blew out my hair.

Im scared to go get a blow out because my hair is so fine but it appears to be thick/coarse, so im thinking they might use more heat then required for MY hair!

SUPER SWEET

I think I thanked like every post in this thread, so I'm definitely a member of the club! :yep:

Any fine haired sisters notice that SSK's are more of a problem for you because of it?

Yeah! Stylists were always complaining when I used to go to them and telling me what my hair couldn't do. I'd pick out a style and they would be like, "your hair won't do that" :(

Hey, anyone else ever notice that the deceiving full look will cause some people to be extra rough with your hair thinking your hair can "take it"?
:perplexed yup. My niece's hair is recovering from a disaster. I hope it's healed by prom time. I told her no stylist until prom day and I'm going with her!

cmw45

Hey Glam, before BKT if I keep my hair in braids under a wig, I would cowash daily, every other day, etc. Because my hair thickened with the frequent washing and I wouldn't have to detangle, either. Grew like wild fire with that, too :yep:

But if my hair is BKT'd I can... get this, now! Cowash daily and only detangle once a week. ** falls out** :lol:

:yep: Because detangling takes so long, I cowash once or twice a week at most. It has to happen in the shower and takes a while but the low manipulation between braids has helped my hair "thicken up"...cause now I have more strands on my head. :lachen:

Mmhmm, AND my hair is light as a feather when straight. I guess because of the fine strands? Henna helps and as my hair gets longer it weighs down more. That helps. By MBL I should be pretty happy hehehehe

YES! I've really had to come to terms with this. I'm also hoping that as my hair continues to get longer it will lay down more. Because it's so fine packing on tons of product to get it to lay down is not a good idea.

Yes, this all my hair allday everyday lol.....people/hairstyles either complain or compliment about how thick my hair is but the second you flat iron it, thinness nothing but thinness...how often do you ladies wash/cowash, because of the hair loss with detangling ?

I wet my hair every single day. Especially the ends. But I only detangle twice a week now max because it take so long and because the extremly low manipulation has helped my hair.

me too! That's why my detangling sessions are ridiculously long. It's also why my hair flourishes in protective styles. The longer I leave it alone, the better.

:yep: :yep: :yep:

Lucky's Mom

I think that this is the secret to Fine Dense hair!!!!! Protective styles are heaven - then hell if "protected" too long.....

I am part of the club!

Evo-ny

I can't wash more than once a week, I lose too much in the detangling battle. Oil rinses have helped, but it's still an extremely difficult process.

I've even found that using combs that are too wide will make my hair snap when wet. Gotta find a happy medium before I lose it all! :(

Tickin4Gold

Hmm... fine yes. But maybe medium density for me. The thickness of my hair varies in look/feel depending on if my hair is wet, airdried, flat ironed, blow dried, or curled :perplexed
If you have fine dense hair that's good. It's better than having sparse fine hair. I happen to like my fine hair.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Anyone know what I'm talking about? Everyone thinks that I have thick hair but my strands are actually very fine...I just have a lot of them. I just took my hair out of braids for a quick flat iron and trim and the woman who cut my hair (she did a good job btw) mentioned that I have fine but dense hair. I notice that a lot of women claim to have fine not very dense hair (looks "thin" but I say less dense since "thin" would describe the thickness of the actual strands). Anyone else have fine dense hair?
Yes, Yes, YES!!! I am in the same boat. My stylist once said that it wasn't so much that my strands are thick but that I have so many strands per square inch.

FtrDrO

I'm also in the fine but dense hair club! I really hate detangling. It takes soooo long and I feel like I have to treat my hair like silk because one false move leads to "snap!" I also find that my hair is very prone to single stranded knots. Protective styles are my friend. Has anyone figured out a great detangling method for our hair?

Jetblackhair

I'm checking in with fine hair, medium density. It looks like I have a lot of hair after blow drying or when I'm wearing a twist out. But, don't let me straighten it...where did all of my hair go? :ohwell:

My hair is very light & whispy and pretty soft to the touch.

sheba1

I can't wash more than once a week, I lose too much in the detangling battle. Oil rinses have helped, but it's still an extremely difficult process.

I've even found that using combs that are too wide will make my hair snap when wet. Gotta find a happy medium before I lose it all! :(

Awww man, I call this "snap, crackle, pop" when I hear my hair doing this during detangle :nono: The only thing I've fine that helps is to first start with my fingers as I detangle a section at a time. Then I can move right to my denman... actually a modified denman the way Neith suggests here.

I'm also in the fine but dense hair club! I really hate detangling. It takes soooo long and I feel like I have to treat my hair like silk because one false move leads to "snap!" I also find that my hair is very prone to single stranded knots. Protective styles are my friend. Has anyone figured out a great detangling method for our hair?

You know, I thought about it and there is no way I could let someone take a round brush AND a blow dryer to my hair. I just couldn't do it. If I can't get the result I'm looking for with a flat iron and do it myself... :look: I guess it just won't happen.

:yep: Because detangling takes so long, I cowash once or twice a week at most. It has to happen in the shower and takes a while but the low manipulation between braids has helped my hair "thicken up"...cause now I have more strands on my head. :lachen:

Oooh, I know exactly what you mean! I think the best thing I did for my hair was put it in pixie braids (shout out to Nonie) and then cowash them every day like my hair was loose. My hair loved it! I definitely have even more fine strands now that I found LHCF.

LHCF taught me that my fine hair can actually be really pretty, even when straight... as long as it is healthy. :grin:

AND it will swing and blow in the wind with the right products! Yesterday I thought I was in a shampoo commercial! :lachen:

LiberianGirl

Raises hands! This is why I shy away from wearing my hair bone straight and went natural. I always liked my hair better 2-3 weeks after I relaxed--it appeared a lot fuller. It's also more difficult for me keep a hairstyle in tact for a long period of time and too many products will weigh my hair down. Have you guys noticed particular hair products/techniques work best with our hair type?

darlingdiva

I think I thanked like every post in this thread, so I'm definitely a member of the club! :yep:

Any fine haired sisters notice that SSK's are more of a problem for you because of it?

Yeah! Stylists were always complaining when I used to go to them and telling me what my hair couldn't do. I'd pick out a style and they would be like, "your hair won't do that" :(

Hey, anyone else ever notice that the deceiving full look will cause some people to be extra rough with your hair thinking your hair can "take it"?

Okay, YOU need to get out of my head. Those ssk's make me :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

darlingdiva

We are SO <<< >>>> with this one. I could have written this post myself.

To detangle, I spray Jane Carter Leave-In Conditioner & rub oil on my braids. Then I undo them. Then I comb through each section, applying more leave-in and oil as needed. It's probably more product than I should use for my hair, but it keeps my hair slippery and allows the comb to glide through easily. All I know is that I CANNOT detangle in the shower. That is too much stress on my hair & it's just asking for a headache & a setback.

PerplexingComplex

We are SO <<< >>>> with this one. I could have written this post myself.

To detangle, I spray Jane Carter Leave-In Conditioner & rub oil on my braids. Then I undo them. Then I comb through each section, applying more leave-in and oil as needed. It's probably more product than I should use for my hair, but it keeps my hair slippery and allows the comb to glide through easily. All I know is that I CANNOT detangle in the shower. That is too much stress on my hair & it's just asking for a headache & a setback.

Do you think that has to deal with hairstyles? If I've worn my hair in twists I can't detangle in the shower (ssk for days), but if I did a wash & go my hair detangles easily. After typing that, I think it has to do with me giving myself a hot oil treatment as part of my wash & go process as well. :scratchch

The only heavy product I like is castor oil. I think that's because if I put it in directly, I rinse it out. I can't leave it in my hair by itself (I mix a bit of it with a lot of water). It makes my hair feel weighed down if I use it by itself and don't rinse it off, even on completely wet hair.

darlingdiva

Do you think that has to deal with hairstyles? If I've worn my hair in twists I can't detangle in the shower (ssk for days), but if I did a wash & go my hair detangles easily. After typing that, I think it has to do with me giving myself a hot oil treatment as part of my wash & go process as well. :scratchch

The only heavy product I like is castor oil. I think that's because if I put it in directly, I rinse it out. I can't leave it in my hair by itself (I mix a bit of it with a lot of water). It makes my hair feel weighed down if I use it by itself and don't rinse it off, even on completely wet hair.

I'm not sure because I only wear my hair in twist-outs. I can't wear wash and gos because I would have single-strand knots for days.

I love castor oil. I used to coat my hair in it while braiding my hair, but it started to weigh my hair down too. I use it to seal my ends. I love oils in general, though, because they really help with the detangling process.

Tallone

Totally!
On the rare occaisions that I do get it flatironed, I always caution them to turn down the heat and NOT get it bone straight! Anything straigter I do have the thin, cottony, wispy looking hair.
Protein helps me but in moderation.