Finally found something that works for detangling!!

FoxxyLocs

I've been working on getting my regimen together and I had posted on my blog that I needed to find something to help me detangle my hair. @faithVA directed me to @Shay72's blog where she talked about Hercules Sagemann combs. I took a look at the site (www.hotcombs.net), and ended up buying 3 of the combs :look:. I did a blog post about it, so some of this is copied from my blog post.

I got my HS combs in the mail a few days ago, but I had to wait until I washed again to really try them out. I finally got a chance to wash today, and OMG!!! I love them! I used the 3 comb method outlined on the site, and detangled on damp hair after I had washed and DCd. I didn't rinse my DC out until after I detangled and rebraided the sections. I also kept my aloe spritz on hand to keep my hair damp as I was combing.

The 3 comb method is so simple, I don't know why I never thought to do it before. You use a wide tooth comb first, then go back over with a medium tooth comb, then a fine tooth comb.

These combs seem to be very well made. They didn't bend or break, but they do have some give so you aren't pulling too hard. They are seamless, so no snagging. And most importantly, I was able to fully detangle my WL+, type 4 hair in a little over an hour. I have been natural since 2004, and I have never ever had my hair completely detangled. Normally as soon as I finished a section, it would start to tangle again, and if I used a different comb/brush, I would find a whole new set of kinks. To be able to comb my hair with a fine tooth comb is simply amazing.

As far as time, an hour may seem like a long time just to detangle, but my norm had been 3-4 hours, and that wasn't even being really thorough, plus my hair was shorter then. I have literally sat on my bathroom floor in tears, after breaking another comb, so I am super excited right now, lol.

My only complaint is that the mini magic star rake is too small for my hair, so I'll probably let my mom have it and get the full sized one. If I had to pick just one comb out of the three, I'd go with the magic star rake. That's the one I used first, and it did a very good job of getting out the major tangles without pulling my hair out. I lost very little hair with these combs. It's not uncommon for me to comb out 2 big handfuls of hair when I detangle. With these it was probably the size of a ping pong ball, and it was almost all shed hair, not hair ripped out from the root.

The combs I have are the magic mini star rake, HS7370, and HS696._

On second thought, the teeth on the mini rake look like they're spaced wider than on the jumbo rake, so I may keep it even though it's a little small. It still worked really well.

If detangling isn't an issue for you, I wouldn't spend the extra money on these combs. But if you have been struggling like me, they are worth every penny.

BTW, my hair is super, super dense with fine, medium, and coarse strands, lol. And I don't know my hair type, but I'm pretty sure it's some kind of type 4 mix.

Ok, sorry so long, but I hope this helps someone. :)

ETA: In the past I've tried the Denman, Tangle Teezer, and a host of wide tooth combs that did nothing for me. I've never tried the Ouidad or the K cutter, so I can't compare those.

Last edited:

faithVA

I know you have a loooot of beautiful, long hair. I am glad that you have found something that works for you. Did you complete your loc removal?

Looking forward to seeing the finished product

FoxxyLocs

I'm still working on taking the locs down:sad: I am soooooo sick of doing my hair! I'm almost done though. All I have left is a small section in the very front. I should be done by the end of next week, if I don't take anymore breaks. When I'm done, I'll be sure to post some pictures. I can't wait to try some styles:grin:

DirtyJerzeyGirly

oh yeah these combs have been mentioned quite a few times on this board. They are the BIZ----NESS!!!! I love that comb! I have the mini and the big one. Makes detangling so much easy!!!

Mische

I bought my first Hercules Sagemann comb in February and it changed my life, no lie! My breakage from detangling has decreased drastically. I have the Magic mini Star and the HS696W. The mini works fine for me because I always detangle my hair in small sections, so I have no issues with it being significantly smaller than the jumbo.

WyrdWay

I forgot where I got my seamless comb, some site :/ but they really make a big differance! And I am so glad I spend the money to get a resin comb because all of my cheap shower combs shatter when I drop them in the shower! This one hasn't and it gets dropped every time. :)
Good combs really a very good investment!!

Theresamonet

Do these combs detangle better than the Denman?

I had to go back to the Denman after the Tangle Teezer destroyed my ends, but the Denman just does okay for me. It's nothing special like the TT was. :cry:

MissMusic

I LOVE these combs, I have the Jumbo Rake and the third comb listed in the OP. They are SOOOOO MUCH BETTER than the Denman and the Tangle Teezer, they made me no longer feel the need to use any brush except a boar bristle brush. I think the fine toothed comb would probably be great for defining curl. I have also tried the hairsense bone combs, but the Sagemann combs are better. They make being 33 weeks post seem easy. By the way, I've had the combs since last June.

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

For me they are better than the denman. The denman ripped out a lot of hair. These are gentler and do a better job of detangling overall.

DirtyJerzeyGirly

@RachelRegina - do you think it's worth it to have both the jumbo and the mini rake? I keep flip flopping on whether or not to buy the jumbo.

FoxxyLocs I have both the jumbo and the mini rake. i use the jumbo when I am combing big parts of my hair and the mini for when I comb little section. I say if you do something like this then yes, buy the jumbo! :yep:

Do these combs detangle better than the Denman?

Theresamonet Yes. 100% in my experience. I even use the comb on dry hair. It just glides through it like butta. I don't hear the snap, crackle, and pop sound that I hear with other combs. Very worth it. I felt like I was losing a lot of hair with the denman.

I had to go back to the Denman after the Tangle Teezer destroyed my ends, but the Denman just does okay for me. It's nothing special like the TT was. :cry:

I use the TT. It works great on getting rid of my SSK's.

FoxxyLocs

They range from about $12-18 each. I wouldn't recommend them unless you are having a lot of trouble with detangling.

abcd09

I have trouble detangling. However, I am relaxed. I have 4ab hair as well. My roots dred and even after detangling a section they matt back up seconds later. The TT gave me lots of splits and thinned my ends. I dont want to use it again. I'm experiencing a lot of lost hair and Im only 10 weeks post. Im wondering if these combs will help me, especially to stop the re-matting after I already de-matt.

OP, do you notice that your hair STOPS retangling?

FoxxyLocs

abcd09 Ive only used them the one time, but I can say that after combing, I was able to leave my hair loose for a few minutes without out re-tangling, which I couldn't do before. Also, I took out a braid today and that hair was still detangled. Maybe someone who had had them longer can chime in.