Hair Pressing Experts

Browndilocks

Browndisha Brownie Sundae
Hi,

I have question regarding pressing combs. I've always used the "basic" standard comb, but I've noticed that there are many different versions of a pressing comb. For example:

Wide tooth
Fine tooth
Wide tooth curved
Short tooth
Xtra long tooth
Extra heavy

My question is what distinguishes one pressing comb from the other? Do these different combs produce a different effect? Are the combs meant for specific hair types or purposes (such as edges & nape)? Just curious. Thanks! :)

foxybrownsugar

I'm no expert but I think they do make them based on hair texture i.e. fine, medium, thick/coarse. I have a heavy wide tooth for my gold n hot electric stove. I think using a heavy comb would be disaterous for someone with fine hair and vice versus a small lightweight comb would take a person with thick long hair all day to straighten. The results probably do correlate with the amount of metal and shape of the metal. The different handles are probably based on user comfort. I don't know maybe someone will explain. :)

pet

I think it depends on how fast you want to press the hair. Obviously, the wide tooth comb would hold more hair in it. If your hair straightens easily, then that would probably be the best choice for you. The ones that are curved is just to make it easier to press. Most pressing directions tell you the turn your hand so the hair is pressed on the back of the comb, and the curved combs just makes that step more easier. I believe the small comb, is for fine haired people. Also I think the small comb is the best because it gets every strand straight. Also, it's easier to get to the roots. Many times, when people use the bigger or wide tooth combs, often times they go back over the hair with a smaller fine tooth comb, why press twice?

Anyway, that's my explanation. Maybe someone can give us a better one!