Everyday Oiling

I oil my scalp when needed which varies based on the needs of my hair but it is typically about 2 times per week. I seal moisture in with oil 2 x per day (morning and evening). I co-wash midweek so I do not feel that mohair is weighed down. I have very thick hair and it stays thirsty.

I apply jojoba oil to my scalp after washing. It has an essential oil blend of peppermint, tea tree and eucalyptus. I did have it in a spritz but now I pour it into a jar top and dip my fingers to massage it into the scalp. I do this prior to the leave in, oil to shaft and cream prior to braiding it up.

Feeling like a straight
3388230443_2200c10451_o.jpg

right now.

I oil rinsed the other day with a hefty amount of coconut oil and rinsed it out as well as I could in the shower, focusing on cleansing my scalp. Wore a slick bun for two days, and now I am experimenting with curl formers. The reason I feel like a unicorn is because my hair is COMPLETELY STRAIGHT with no heat. Yeah the buns and curl formers stretched it out, but there's usually some kink. I look like I flat ironed, blow dried, sat under a dryer or something. Daily oiler for life yo.

Feeling like a straight

right now.

I oil rinsed the other day with a hefty amount of coconut oil and rinsed it out as well as I could in the shower, focusing on cleansing my scalp. Wore a slick bun for two days, and now I am experimenting with curl formers. The reason I feel like a unicorn is because my hair is COMPLETELY STRAIGHT with no heat. Yeah the buns and curl formers stretched it out, but there's usually some kink. I look like I flat ironed, blow dried, sat under a dryer or something. Daily oiler for life yo.

:yay:

I noticed the same thing! My hair is pretty much straight by day 2-3 post wash. I attribute this to oils, mud wash (Terressentials), and moisturizing with water and working it in/smoothing down my hair. I just prepoo, mud wash, leave in butters/oils, then M/S & bantu/braid with water/oil during the week. Easy, simple, and my hair is thriving!

KittyMeowMeow it's so nice to hear that your hair is thriving. I hope more people discover this as a long term way of caring for hair. Until then, I'll still be pushing oils on the mount.

I do!! I oil my hair everyday. I have a bottle and I mix the oil with water...ratio around 1/5 oil....rest water...I use EVOO...Grape seed OIL...and I just started to use African Castor Oil. I apply the Castor Oil to my scalp and ends.

I've been heavy oiling my scalp daily since the past two weeks and will continue until it gets warm again. Using jbco on nape and edges and olive oil/tea tree mix in a spray bottle for rest of scalp. I've found that if I don't my scalp is just too dry and itchy because of the cold temp. Even if I skip one day it feels like I never put any oil in it at all. My scalp just soaks it up. After wash day sometimes I have to oil twice a day.

I need to go back to oiling at least every other day. My hair loved it. I stopped to use up another product. And the oil I was using was expensive but it was light and moisturizing.

@KittyMeowMeow it's so nice to hear that your hair is thriving. I hope more people discover this as a long term way of caring for hair. Until then, I'll still be pushing oils on the mount.

Agreed! Preach on, preacher! :lol:

I have been using this reggie for over 1.5 years, with daily/almost daily oiling for several years. Both in the long and short term, oils have made a big difference in my hair.

I oil as well…I cannot even begin to tell you what coconut oil and water does to my hair. Sometimes I'll co-wash and put in a light leave in conditioner and oil my scalp/hair with coconut oil. Wrap with a silk scarf and have amazingly soft and moisturized silky smooth hair. My hair really responds well to coconut oil!

I oil my hair once a week. It's rare that I have to apply it more than that.

It seems to work with me. I sleep in a scarf afterwards. :bdance:

Last edited:
I use to oil my hair every day when I used coconut oil. I use to carry my applicator bottle with me everywhere until one day it spilled out in my most expensive bag. My back use to have all this oil down my back and it use to be running down my face in the summer and people thought I was sweating lol. But in the winter my hair was so hard, but was so soft when I went I went inside. I looked like I had Jerry curl juice dripping down my face lol but then I got into moisturizing and sealing. You just made me realize that my hair wasn't bad with oil. Maybe I need to start just moisturizing and sealing after I wash and applying just oil to my hair throughout the week

I also use to leave oil stains on people leather couches or whatever material it was and have to wipe it on the sneak tip. But this time I wouldn't oil my scalp, just my hair

Aww I've never been the grease ball at parties leaving stains on people's couches. I wish.

I oil rinsed my hair by applying a good liberal amount of coconut and olive oil to my strands and scalp, then cowashed. It really saved my hair after I went swimming and shsmpooed.

I oil my scalp and hair everyday. I find that it keeps my hair well conditioned and from shrinking too much. I'm a 4b natural that rarely protective style (meaning I normally do not weave, wig, braid, or twist), so it's important that my ends hold in moisture, have slip, and do not tangle. Daily oiling has been extremely beneficially in helping me retain my ends!

I think I'm going to try a modified version of this.

My hair doesn't like oil just sitting in it, no matter how little, so one of the new ways (well, new for me) I was thinking of getting my oiling in is by applying it to my scalp before I run and co-washing it out during my shower after. I had seen a few members over the years says that they'll deep condition with a cap over their heads while they exercise so that's what gave me this idea. I'm not going to cover my head, just apply enough oil to my scalp/hair (not so much that it's going to run down when I sweat), go for a run, take a shower and co-wash.

I slathered on HydroQuench Systems Mango & Coconut Oil today before Cowashing.

EVCO makes a great Pre-Rx and takes care of Hydral Fatigue. (if you're concerned about that).

Still using something 'daily' especially in these extremely cold temps.:cold:

In my Current Rotation:
ED JBCO
Pure Flax Seed
Pure Pumpkin Seed
Pure Olive
Pure Avocado
HQS Coconut (as a Pre-Rx) because I'm trying to use it up

I'll save the "Blends" for Spring

I don't oil daily but I do a pre poo hot oil treatment with an oil of my choice (right now I am using cherry kernel oil, before that I was using pistachio oil), sage and cinnamon twice a week. Once before a shampoo or co wash and once before a tea rinse. I have noticed that my hair is much thicker, darker, softer/silkier and so shiny that it literally sparkles in sunlight. The great results are the only reason I have stuck to it this long. Generally if it takes me longer than five minutes to do my hair, that's a problem right there.

Back