Enjoying your time transitioning?

melissa-bee

so i decided last week to transition to natural hair which is type 4b and i am only 6 weeks post and i was wondering if anyone actually enjoyed transitioning and how did your experience go?

I am enjoying my transition time. It can get a little frustrating at times dealing with the two textures but it has taught me patience for my hair. I am actually still learning what moisturizers my hair likes at 11 months post. Overall, I love it and I can't wait to be natural. I know I just need more length for my own personal taste.

also, are there styles you can do transitioning that you can't do when you are fully natural and relaxed?

I am enjoying the time too. I like seeing my hair getting longer and the two textures dont cause me any problems at all. i am looking forward to being natural though.

So far my transition has been pretty uneventful so I cant complain....

As far as styles.......Ive been hiding my hair 99% of the time anyway but as Ive gotten more new growth wash and go's would be a no-no.....the two texture don't match.......

ETA- oh wait, misread the style question......

I am enjoying my transition. My regimen is relatively simple and I protective style all the time so I never have to battle the two textures everyday. I'm 19 months post texlax with no intention of BCing, just trims and dustings a few times a year.

I am enjoying my transition time. It can get a little frustrating at times dealing with the two textures but it has taught me patience for my hair. I am actually still learning what moisturizers my hair likes at 11 months post. Overall, I love it and I can't wait to be natural. I know I just need more length for my own personal taste.

Couldn't have said it better! I am soooooooo loving my new growth and learning what products work best on my hair. Can't say I'm not ITCHING to big chop, which is just REMARKABLE for me, because I am usually one to KEEP long hair. My hair has never been shorter than earlobe/ chin length, and that was drastic to everyone else. But I just really would love to experience my curls, waves & kinks without relaxed hair. But patience is a virtue, so I am trying to WAIT until it gets at least to shoulder length.

I am wet bunning a lot and then usually flat ironing once and letting it swang for a week, then back to bunning. I have also learned that my hair LOVES, LOVES, LOVES conditioner in it 24/7, so I am doing that. I keep wanting to attempt a roller set and I am working to get time to sit down and do it. Since we are getting 3-5 inches of snow today (CRAZY, RIGHT!), I will likely have time today.
All in all, I am LOVING this transition...this is my second! My mental is so there! :)

Last edited:
I'm enjoying transition :yep: I do have days I get impatient cos I want my hair to grow already so I can be all natural.
Most of the time I enjoy my styles as seen in my siggy, I love my new growth slowly but surely growing, I just love it.

I am in love with my transition! I have been transitioning since Sept/Oct 07. Even though I had a set back in May 08 I have still managed to maintain nearly every inch from May 08 on out. I love my natural texture.:yep:

so i decided last week to transition to natural hair which is type 4b and i am only 6 weeks post and i was wondering if anyone actually enjoyed transitioning and how did your experience go?
I definitely enjoyed my transition, and it was a pretty smooth transition. It's fun to watch your hair do what it wants to do. :yep:

I am enjoying it more now than I was when I first started. I love playing in it.

I am most amazed at the major difference in thickness.

Hmmm seems I'm the only one not enjoying my transition. Well I love the new texture but having a bit of trouble with my crown area. It's breaking bad and i'm not use to having any problems with my hair. I wore my hair in a braid outs the last 15 weeks and just flat ironed my hair and I noticed it breaks less. Any suggestions? I've also tried protein treatments too.

I heard a lil bit of heat is not bad during a transition, because your new growth will be looser to match the rest of your hair and it will probably tangle less because it will be straighter. When i have about 2-3 inches of growth i plan to straighten it. Hope that helps.

Im enjoying it. In my case, the longer I transition, the easier it gets. I can do the all the same things with my hair. Im wearing it straight 80% of the time and in weaves the other 20%.

I like seeing my little curlies and discovering what my natural hair does.
Detangling is not fun at all. :nono: I think I'm at that point in the transition where it just gets hard. I a lot of natural hair and relaxed hair and they like to fight each other. :ohwell:

It has been a love/hate relationship, but I appreciate the lessons along the way.

Transitioning has helped show me that hair does grow...and it does break off. Looking at 15 months of new growth solidified that for me. I was doing mini-trims by choice from month 6-14, but I have decided to hold on to my length to encourage a longer transition. Months 1-6 I had to trim b/c i wasn't taking care of my hair...rather i was allowing my hairdresser to take care of my hair...(weekly flat-irons...no moisture!)

I feel like transitioning has taught me the basic lessons of hair care...natural or relaxed. My relaxed ends are quite healthy now and sometimes I consider going back, but I can't waste all this effort!

I still don't have a set regimen, but once i take these kinky twist out I will work on keeping a hair schedule...

That is my number one suggestion. Get your hair on a schedule. That way you don't have to talk yourself into doing something with your head...

OMGHEE detangling is a bi-a. Other than that, I like to see the coils. My CHI has helped tremendously with the transition.

In reference to detangling...

When I started only detangling in the shower, with loads of condtioner, under the stream and my denman...it has been an ease. If i do a pre-poo its a lot better. Oh, I add olive oil to ALL of my co-wash shampoos and DCs. For a DC, I add honey, evoo and sea salt...

If it is extremely tangled...i finger detangle, wide tooth and then denman...actually i usually do that. but it doesn't take long at all.

I feel like my hair is not as moisturized when it is straight and well off in other styles, i'm thinking I may just switch a every other week with braid outs, buns, and flat ironing. So I guess my hair needs a schedule blksndrlla :) Thanks for the info ladies.

I guess I could say I am enjoying my transition or at least it's not driving me crazy. Honestly, I am not spending much time thinking about my hair. I have had moments where my hair got on my nerves but that happens every 6 months or so for me when I was relaxed and natural. I just tend to let my hair do what it does. That is what I am doing now.

I made it a year and my hair started to vex me a bit so I did a not so mini but not quite big chop. I went from just above BSL to above shoulder length bob. It will probably be another 6 to 8 months before I finish it off. Not because of any transitioning goal but because of what will be happening in my life at that time. I need enough hair to do certain styles. So I will be hanging on to my little ends until then.

So yeah, I am enjoying it. I am really enjoying the transition now that I have less hair to deal with.

Back