Ends snapping off..?

Gemini350z

I tried searching first, but the feature is not working so I apologize if this topic has already been addressed.

My problem is, that it seems like my ends are snapping off when I run my fingers through my hair. I always have little short pieces of hair on my shirt and on the floor. How can I stop this? I used aphrogee reconstructor with heat, about a week and a half ago, and it is still happening. I am 9 weeks post relaxer, I have a lot of new growth, was trying to wait to relax until mid december. Should I relax now, will this stop the breakage?

Right now I am trying another protien treatment, emergencia with heat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate it, I am really trying to get to APL but at this rate, I never will:(

Legend

Trichological Alchemist
It actually sounds like you need more moisture, not more protein.

Too much protein can make your brittle and prone to snapping. Concentrate on moisture for a while with some DCing and a great daily, water-based moisturizer and I'm sure you'll see a big difference. :yep: Also, try a little castor oil on your ends at night to make them more pliable.

Also, do you use heat regularly? If so, this could also contribute to dryness and breakage.

Leslie_C

Dont overdo it with the protein. I was having this program a couple of weeks ago and it seems to have subsided. I just used a lot of moisture and stopped manipulating it even though I had a strong urge to keep running my fingers thru it to see if I was still getting hair in my hands. I just moisturized it really well and wore a single french braid for a while. It feels nice and soft again and very little to no breakage now. Ive been concentrating on moisturizing and sealing my cuticles now and so far so good.

What are u using as a moisturizer? I also cut out the sunsilk I had been using bc it had keratin in it as one of the main ingredients and I think that really helped too. My hair hates moisturizers that contain protein.

Gemini350z

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was using ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer, Elasta QP Mango Butter, WGO, S-Curl and Elucence MB Conditioner (mixed with water in a spray bottle).

I newly added the Elasta QP product, and maybe that is the culprit, anyone have any issues with it? And I think I have a love hate relationship with ORS Olive Oil, sometimes I like the way it makes my hair feel, sometimes I do not.

Any suggestions for better moisturizers?

I dont use heat daily, maybe once a week, is that too frequent?

RubyWoo

The heat can be a stressful on the hair if you're not moisturizing enough and the heat may be drying your hair out. I c/s all the advice in here. You need to deep condition with a moisturizing deep conditioner for the next few washes.

ETA: What do you use to deep condition? And how often are you deep conditioning?

Gemini350z

The heat can be a stressful on the hair if you're not moisturizing enough and the heat may be drying your hair out. I c/s all the advice in here. You need to deep condition with a moisturizing deep conditioner for the next few washes.

ETA: What do you use to deep condition? And how often are you deep conditioning?

Thanks for responding.

I am going to stop it with the direct heat.

To deep condition, I use Cathy Howse's conditioner

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Thanks for responding.

I am going to stop it with the direct heat.

To deep condition, I use Cathy Howse's conditioner

I agree about the too much protein.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Cathy Howse's conditioner has proteins in it. A lot of her products are a little protein heavy and some people's hair just can't deal with that.

Have you tried co-washing? The daily moisture helped me to stretch a little past 15 weeks and I usually can't go past 12. SouthernTease is transitioning and she co washes and baggies daily. She also dc's once or twice a week and she hasn't had any problems with breakage because of the constant moisture her hair's getting.

If you don't wanna co wash, start dc'ing twice a week and moisturizing once or twice a day. If that still doesn't work, I think it's time to relax :yep: HTH!

mrshicks2002

I was having this same problem and made a post yesterday. My hair was snapping and breaking and I couldnt understand why because I was using Cathys DC and following up with a moisturizing DC aferwards weekly, so I thought I was balance. Thanks for the replies of the ladies here that I need more moisture and Sareca stated that she DC on dry hair with heat using a moisturizing DC. I am here to say that I done it today,but without heat and I can already tell a difference in it.:yep:

Thanks Ladies!:yep:

Leslie_C

I was using ORS Olive Oil Moisturizer, Elasta QP Mango Butter, WGO, S-Curl and Elucence MB Conditioner (mixed with water in a spray bottle).

I newly added the Elasta QP product, and maybe that is the culprit, anyone have any issues with it? And I think I have a love hate relationship with ORS Olive Oil, sometimes I like the way it makes my hair feel, sometimes I do not.

Bingo...maybe that is the culprit...my hair didnt like that stuff at all. I do like the Elasta QP recovery oil moisturizer though.

SouthernTease

I agree about the too much protein.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Cathy Howse's conditioner has proteins in it. A lot of her products are a little protein heavy and some people's hair just can't deal with that.

Have you tried co-washing? The daily moisture helped me to stretch a little past 15 weeks and I usually can't go past 12. SouthernTease is transitioning and she co washes and baggies daily. She also dc's once or twice a week and she hasn't had any problems with breakage because of the constant moisture her hair's getting.

If you don't wanna co wash, start dc'ing twice a week and moisturizing once or twice a day. If that still doesn't work, I think it's time to relax :yep: HTH!

:yep: it's true I do that... my advice... LOW MANIPULATION IS KEY ask anybody with waist length hair and beyond how often they comb/brush/manipulate their hair... drop the comb sister and if you're running your fingers through your hair... you might want to stop doing that too. Also, less is more when it comes to hair... keep it simple.

AvaSpeaks

I have this problem too! Could it also be from taking Biotin? Because although the Biotin has thicken my hair and help with growth, Biotin is a protein that we already get plenty of from food.

Just wondering if their is a connection?

Kawaii1

Sounds like protein overload. I had the same problem and stopped using protein for 2 weeks to correct it. I am only using light protien occasionally. Watch out for protein hidden in moisturizers too. My hair is doing so much better. In two days I had a big difference.

DayStar

:yep: it's true I do that... my advice... LOW MANIPULATION IS KEY ask anybody with waist length hair and beyond how often they comb/brush/manipulate their hair... drop the comb sister and if you're running your fingers through your hair... you might want to stop doing that too. Also, less is more when it comes to hair... keep it simple.

ITA!! :yep:

Artemis

Mango Butter is considered a light protein product, I think b/c it's for resolving breakage.

Why not try deep conditioning 2x/wk for a couple of weeks, and see if that resolves it. Or spray your ends with the S-Curl and seal them the ORS and then bun it up. Use half of a pea-sized amount.

Do the ends pop off when your hair is wet, too? Or just dry/styled?

LadyZ

I was having this same problem and made a post yesterday. My hair was snapping and breaking and I couldn't understand why because I was using Cathy's DC and following up with a moisturizing DC afterwords weekly, so I thought I was balance. Thanks for the replies of the ladies here that I need more moisture and Sareca stated that she DC on dry hair with heat using a moisturizing DC. I am here to say that I done it today,but without heat and I can already tell a difference in it.:yep:

Thanks Ladies!:yep:
===========

I deep condition using heat, so you are saying your hair turned out better not using heat on your DC?

mrshicks2002

===========

I deep condition using heat, so you are saying your hair turned out better not using heat on your DC?

That is correct, to me it was about the same as using heat. I left DC on my hair for a while doing things around the house with plastic cap on. I used a moisturizing DC with no protein in it and yes I had already seen a difference in my hair once it airdried.:yep: Less hair was coming out when combing and not snapping like at first.

Sometimes when I dc after shampoo, I dont use heat and my hair still works out fine. The tripped out part about it is when I dont use heat I find more water drops in my plastic cap like my hair have been steamed from using heat.

Last edited: