suffering from weak ends

sugawooga

should I cut my ends off? I know this is why it's taking such a long time for my hair to grow long. My ends are my major problem area. I did a corrective relaxer and it helped me out alot because I don't have as much breakage as before. But I still have breakage and it must stop. I want my ends to look healthy (like the rest of my hair) and I want the snapping to stop. Everytime I comb my hair (or do anything with it), put it up, run my fingers in it I feel the snapping and breaking. I'm really tired of this because it's only my ends. I've been taking care of my hair much better since I've been a memeber of this forum and my hair is soooo much healthier than before. Now I'm debating on if I should just chop off my ends. My hair is shoulder length and I do see some growth and this is the reason why I'm hesitant on chopping off my ends. Any advice on what I should do? Any products I should try to stop the breakage and does anyone else experience this problem and have a solution?

sarina0000

That happens to me at times when I need to clip my ends. Maybe you should just cut your ends off gradually so you can still have some length. Like every month cut about a half inch off or less until the ends of your hair stop breaking.

sugawooga

I wash my hair once a week, and deep condition it once a week too. I use Pantene R&N line and I use Hot 8 oil. I also moisturize it with Pantene R&N daily moisturizer and add diluted setting lotion to wet hair before drying it. I HAVE been blow drying hair with a comb attachment dryer but recently stopped (thinking that that may be contributing to some breakage) I haven't used my blow dryer in two weeks yet, my hair is still breaking at the end. My hair was breaking at the ends before I got the blow dryer so I don't think that is the reason for the breakage. I use to over process my hair (I didn't know what I was doing at the time) and I think my ends are severly damaged because of this (let me give you an example: I would keep a no-lye relaxer in my hair for 45 minutes. Now I use lye relaxers and only keep them in my hair for 10 minutes tops. My ends are damaged because of what I used to do to my hair.

Oh yeah, I get alot of breakage too when I let my hair airdry. Even though I add conditioners to it and moisturize it when it's still wet. UGHHHH!

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
You may just need some significant protein/moisture. I'd say find out what your hair needs first, then treat the ends. If doesn't work and you still experience breakage then cut. Also check out Edie's rave on TIGI products: Edie on TIGI

Tai

If your ends are split, then you'd have to cut them to get them healthy. You can't mend split ends.

But if your hair's just weak, protein treatments like Aphogee and Emergencee by Nexxus could help. Also using TIGI Bed Head's ego boost on the ends could also work.

I also experienced major shedding when I was blowdrying and curling. It continued for the first two weeks after I stopped. But now I don't see any shedding at all (I only airdry and leave my hair curly). I only comb my hair in the shower w/ conditioner in it and the hair I see is minimal.
What shampoo and conditioner are you using? Does your shampoo have any SLS or SLES in it? Those can really dry out your hair.
HTH

Brooke007

Member, Dumbledore's Army
Severe damage and over processing?
Well there may be nothing you can do about that. Before you cut, my vote is for you to try a serious protein treatment like Aphogee or Nexxus Emergencee, make sure you follow with a moisturzing conditioner.

sugawooga

Good lookin' out!! I will get it as soon as I can. I wonder if I can find it in beauty supply stores in my neck of the woods?

Tai

SLS is sodium laurel sulfate. It's a strong detergent agent.
I also recommend Aubrey's Organics GPB for a milder protein treatment.

Isis

Sugawooga - how are your iron levels? This happened to me in the past and I couldn't figure out what was going on. My ends were breaking and my hair was getting consistently shorter. Of course I didn't know how to care for my hair back then but it wasn't breaking like that before. As a last resort I went to my doctor and had my iron levels in my blood checked. It was very low. Shortly, like within the week after taking iron, my hair stopped breaking. I only wish I knew that before.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Sugawooga - how are your iron levels? This happened to me in the past and I couldn't figure out what was going on. My ends were breaking and my hair was getting consistently shorter. Of course I didn't know how to care for my hair back then but it wasn't breaking like that before. As a last resort I went to my doctor and had my iron levels in my blood checked. It was very low. Shortly, like within the week after taking iron, my hair stopped breaking. I only wish I knew that before.

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me too Isis
My hair wasnt at the breaking point yet, but it was really dry, my periods were too light, and I was cold all the time. I got my iron checked and it was lower than the norm. I dont take a separate Iron Supplement just a multi. I was taking generic Iron (Ferrous Sulfate) but it made me constipated. So now I keep my levels up my eating liver twice a month, and eating Shredded wheat, or Cream of wheat for breakfast

SiLkY_T

for a solution for out of control ends, mix castor oil and water together and put it in a spray bottle... make sure to use more water than oil or your hair will become oily. Spray the mixture on your hair b4 u go to sleep and in the morning your ends will feel soft and look less fried...

sugawooga

Thanks everyone, This is what I decided to do. At this point I can't afford anymore hair products so what I did was cut my ends off on the sides only. The reason I only cut my sides is because they were the most damaged and two, because my sides were much longer than the hair in the back and when I wore my hair down it didn't look right. I'm glad I cut off my ends because now my hair looks much thicker than before. It's funny, when I cut my ends off (about an inch)I saw how thin my hair was at the ends. My ends were so thin that you could see right through them. It almost seemed ridiculous on how I nutured what was already gone. Plus, after I cut my ends I analysed them and they were very dry a brittle. Now that my hair looks healthy all the way around I feel mor confident wearing my hair down (even if it is a little shorter).

LABETT

Try using Profectiv Healthy End this product really protects
your ends and keep them strong.
My end are stronger since I started using it.

Wildflower

Grow, hair,Grow!!!
[ QUOTE ]
sugawooga said:
should I cut my ends off? I know this is why it's taking such a long time for my hair to grow long. My ends are my major problem area. I did a corrective relaxer and it helped me out alot because I don't have as much breakage as before. But I still have breakage and it must stop. I want my ends to look healthy (like the rest of my hair) and I want the snapping to stop. Everytime I comb my hair (or do anything with it), put it up, run my fingers in it I feel the snapping and breaking. I'm really tired of this because it's only my ends. I've been taking care of my hair much better since I've been a memeber of this forum and my hair is soooo much healthier than before. Now I'm debating on if I should just chop off my ends. My hair is shoulder length and I do see some growth and this is the reason why I'm hesitant on chopping off my ends. Any advice on what I should do? Any products I should try to stop the breakage and does anyone else experience this problem and have a solution?

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel your pain! I was there a couple of months ago. The best thing I did was trim my ends off and treat my hair with some protein. I've been using k-pak, conditioner washes and a lot of deep conditioneng. My ends are now blunt and healthy and I don't get any more breakage. I'm so happy!!!

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
ayeshia said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:

[/ QUOTE ]

This happened to me too Isis
My hair wasnt at the breaking point yet, but it was really dry, my periods were too light, and I was cold all the time. I got my iron checked and it was lower than the norm. I dont take a separate Iron Supplement just a multi. I was taking generic Iron (Ferrous Sulfate) but it made me constipated. So now I keep my levels up my eating liver twice a month, and eating Shredded wheat, or Cream of wheat for breakfast

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks like you started boosting your iron in time, before the breakage. That's great Ayeshia!

sugawooga

I also had low iron at one time too. I didn't know that a low iron count can contribute to weak hair. When I was pregnant (3 years ago) I had low iron. My doctor made me take iron pills and it immediately fixed the problem. I don't think I have low iron now though. Could my ends still be effected from when I had a low iron.

Isis

Low iron means a low red blood cell count, not enough oxygen reaching the scalp, which in turn affects all of the hair, including the ends. It would only affect your hair if you are still anemic. That's what I meant about having your blood checked by your doctor first, before taking iron.

Growingitlong

I think the baggie technigue would help as well. It should help keep your ends in a nice health state. You could try that for a see how it works for you.

msprettyeyes

Hi SUGAWOOGA

I THINK U SHOULD JUST CUT THE ENDS. YOUR HAIR WILL LOOK AND FEEL SO MUCH BETTER. THERE IS NO USE ON HOLDING ON TO SOMETHING THAT DOESN''T LOOK GOOD. I KNOW IT MAY TAKE SOME TIME TO GET USED TO, BUT YOUR HAIR WILL HAVE SO MUCH BOUNCE AND BODY THAT YOU ARE GOING TO WISH YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE IT SOONER. MY ENDS WERE LIKE THAT. BUT SEE I DIDN'T CONSIDER CUTTING IT OFF UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE. BY THAT TIME THE DAMAGE WAS MOVING UP TO THE ROOT. BUT NOW MY HAIR IS HEALTHY AND GROWING SO FAST. IT REACHES PAST MY NECK JUST BEFORE MY SHOULDERS,(AND THAT IS LONG WAY FROM ABOUT 2 YRS AGO WHEN I LOOKED LIKE A WOODPECKER).