Help: Niece's 4c Hair Snapping Off With Gentle Combing

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hi.

I am visiting my little 5-year old niece. Her hair is 4c and cottony, nothing like her sisters' 3c/4a silkier hair. I'm not sure her mom knows what to do with it.

I took a medium-toothed comb to one of her tangled puffs, and hair just started snapping off. Little tiny pieces that I assume are the very ends of her strands.

And her hair is super greasy. Mom just keeps adding oil to it week after week.

Any advice? Her mom will not take her to a professional. I am going to tackle it, and I'm used to my 4a coily hair versus cottony hair. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

My current plan:
Cleanse with SM JBCO poo.
Detangle with Soultanicals Hair Glide.
Treat with Komaza Protein Strengthener.
Condition under dryer with SM hipo masque.

I wish I could apply the protein right after cleansing, but the hair is so tangled.

Do you think Komaza's protein treatment is okay for a 5-year old?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

beingofserenity

I think I would avoid a comb and gently finger detangle.

The best way to detangle my hair, is in the shower soaking wet with conditioner. You can add oil to the conditioner for extra slip. Since you are using soultanicals to detangle, I would add it to her hair, let it sit for a while and then proceed to detangle in the shower. You can use your fingers and the pressure from the shower head to help you remove shed strands.

faithVA

First, 4C hair should probably not be combed when dry. If it needs to be restyled, it needs to be moisturized and finger combed.

If she is natural and 5 I would skip the protein treatment for now. Just do the shampoo, conditioner combo.

Have the mom use a detangler spray and moisturizer mid-week to restyle if needed.

What are you using after the conditioner to style and seal it? How is she wearing her hair?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
First, 4C hair should probably not be combed when dry. If it needs to be restyled, it needs to be moisturized and finger combed.

If she is natural and 5 I would skip the protein treatment for now. Just do the shampoo, conditioner combo.

Have the mom use a detangler spray and moisturizer mid-week to restyle if needed.

What are you using after the conditioner to style and seal it? How is she wearing her hair?

I'm not sure what her mom moisturizes and seals with. I can give her your suggestions. She is natural, and mom styles her hair in 2 afro puffs at the front and flat twists at the back.

faithVA

I'm not sure what her mom moisturizes and seals with. I can give her your suggestions. She is natural, and mom styles her hair in 2 afro puffs at the front and flat twists at the back.
If she is just using grease and she is wearing the front loose (afro puffs are loose), it will eventually break. The ends will dry out.

If she can do an LOC after conditioning and she keeps her hair tucked away she may be able to maintain enough moisture until the next wash day a week later. If she isn't washing weekly, then she may want to moisturize every 3 to 4 days and reseal with the proper products.

classychic1908

Finger detangle with a wet slippery detangling product or slippery conditioner, before shampooing.

Actually, I would skip the shampoo and just cowash in pre-detangled sections. No need for protein, it sounds like her hair needs moisture.

Use a leave in conditioner and seal with an oil or butter. Always thoroughly wet hair with a conditioning product before restyling.

kxlot79

Kitchen Mixtress
Did you consider detangling with the Soultanicals first, then shampoo then protein then moisture DC?
I say that only because little kids tend to not have patience for detangling and my experience is that tangling is worse after shampoo is added to already tangled hair.
Komaza has pretty good ingredients. I'd think it's ok for a kid as long as she didn't have any specific allergies to anything in there.
Also, have you considered your plan of action for styling? LOC tends to work well for 4c hair. Maybe even liquid, cream, grease (like Softee Coconut or Mango---but only because I don't like the smell of Blue Magic)

hothair

Moisture her hair is dry don't do a protein treatment yet.

I would finger detangle with a conditioner (like relaxer application) then co-wash if little mama is still up for it a moisturising DC. Rinse out, apply leave in while damp and seal with a butter ESP her ends and dry/style in at least 4 plaits

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Did you consider detangling with the Soultanicals first, then shampoo then protein then moisture DC?
I say that only because little kids tend to not have patience for detangling and my experience is that tangling is worse after shampoo is added to already tangled hair.
Komaza has pretty good ingredients. I'd think it's ok for a kid as long as she didn't have any specific allergies to anything in there.
Also, have you considered your plan of action for styling? LOC tends to work well for 4c hair. Maybe even liquid, cream, grease (like Softee Coconut or Mango---but only because I don't like the smell of Blue Magic)

Yes: Detangling then pooing was my first thought. The hair is so dirty/filthy, though. That made me just want it clean.

I definitely don't want to make the tangles worse, though. I think I'll water rinse it to try to remove some of the oil, build up, dirt, etc., and then detangle. Thanks.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Thanks so much, all.

Her mom will be moisturizing and styling. I'm just supposed to detangle, cleanse, and condition.

If they don't go skating today, we're supposed to do everyone's hair at 11 EST. That will give me time to purchase LOC products for mom from Sally's.

She is the greatest little girl! She cries big tears and hard when her mom does her hair, and it's one big yelling fest. I think once her hair is softened, it will be lovely. I am concerned and a little worried: I don't want her thinking her hair is different and a problem.

Evolving78

Thanks so much, all.

Her mom will be moisturizing and styling. I'm just supposed to detangle, cleanse, and condition.

If they don't go skating today, we're supposed to do everyone's hair at 11 EST. That will give me time to purchase LOC products for mom from Sally's.

She is the greatest little girl! She cries big tears and hard when her mom does her hair, and it's one big yelling fest. I think once her hair is softened, it will be lovely. I am concerned and a little worried: I don't want her thinking her hair is different and a problem.
Get some apple cider vinegar (it doesn't matter), water, an a spray bottle. Mix 1/3 of ACV with a cup of water. To detangle spray a small section of hair and use your fingers to work the mix through. Once the hair flowing through the fingers get a wide toothed comb and finish detangling. Do this section by section. After detangling give her a oil prepoo treatment. Like Africa's best oil. Let it sit in her hair for an hour with a plastic cap, or get under the dryer for 10-15 mins with a plastic cap.
After that proceed to shampoo her hair twice, then follow with a deep conditioner.
The ACV works like a charm. I used it on my daughters matted hair.

Blue_Berry

Snappy, does her hair feel dry and brittle? She probably needs more moisture. A moisturizing deep conditioner and a great moisturizer apply afterwards. If she has single strand knots try to use your fingers instead of a comb to get them out. If they are single strand knots a comb can easily rip the hair out.

Also, if there is build up (hair is too greasy and coated instead of moisturizing), it is usually best to clarify the hair. Build up will make the other products not work effectively on the hair. Clarifying will renew the hair and allow the product to work in the hair effectively. If you decide to clarify, make sure to put back intensive amount of moisture.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@YvetteWithJoy

I have nothing to add to the discussion because the ladies have provided you with some excellent suggestions!

I just wanted to say that it is no coincidence or accident that you are in this baby's life, at this moment. Your presence there and the loving observations you have made in order to give understanding, as it relates to your niece's hair, are providing support and knowledge that will help both mom and baby in ways that will reap so many wonderful benefits to come in the future. Positive perception of one's own hair is especially important for black females, especially in the context of fortifying self-esteem. Bravo, Auntie!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Snappy, does her hair feel dry and brittle? She probably needs more moisture. A moisturizing deep conditioner and a great moisturizer apply afterwards. If she has single strand knots try to use your fingers instead of a comb to get them out. If they are single strand knots a comb can easily rip the hair out.

Also, if there is build up (hair is too greasy and coated instead of moisturizing), it is usually best to clarify the hair. Build up will make the other products not work effectively on the hair. Clarifying will renew the hair and allow the product to work in the hair effectively. If you decide to clarify, make sure to put back intensive amount of moisture.

I was thinking the same: Clarify all that grease and build up first! However, I'll wait to clarify to avoid even more tangling.

It definitely feels dry beneath the oiliness, if that makes any sense.

I will wait and clarify after it's detangled and clipped up in sections. I'll poo one section at a time. I hope everyone has the patience for this!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy

I have nothing to add to the discussion because the ladies have provided you with some excellent suggestions!

I just wanted to say that it is no coincidence or accident that you are in this baby's life, at this moment. Your presence there and the loving observations you have made in order to give understanding, as it relates to your niece's hair, are providing support and knowledge that will help both mom and baby in ways that will reap so many wonderful benefits to come in the future. Positive perception of one's own hair is especially important for black females, especially in the context of fortifying self-esteem. Bravo, Auntie!

Oh, @Chicoro, thanks!

I agree with you so much about perception, self-esteem, etc. My hubby just told me she's really excited to be getting a hair treatment from Auntie. Awww! I want her to feel special, and I hope to do a good job and make sure she feels good.

healthyhair2

Hi.

I am visiting my little 5-year old niece. Her hair is 4c and cottony, nothing like her sisters' 3c/4a silkier hair. I'm not sure her mom knows what to do with it.

I took a medium-toothed comb to one of her tangled puffs, and hair just started snapping off. Little tiny pieces that I assume are the very ends of her strands.

And her hair is super greasy. Mom just keeps adding oil to it week after week.

Any advice? Her mom will not take her to a professional. I am going to tackle it, and I'm used to my 4a coily hair versus cottony hair. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

My current plan:
Cleanse with SM JBCO poo.
Detangle with Soultanicals Hair Glide.
Treat with Komaza Protein Strengthener.
Condition under dryer with SM hipo masque.

I wish I could apply the protein right after cleansing, but the hair is so tangled.

Do you think Komaza's protein treatment is okay for a 5-year old?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

If the ends are snapping off like that, it sounds like she needs a heavy duty moisture condish. I would detangle with a mix of VO5 Moisture Milk conditioner and olive or grapeseed oil BEFORE shampooing. Once the hair is detangled then you can go about shampooing and DCing.

biznesswmn

Ive been using a moisturizing spritz from haircrush/chime that has gotten me out of dry hair hell.
She talks abt it at the one minute mark
I take my spray bottle and add 60% water, 30% glycerin, and the last 10% is half aloe and half oil. Been doing it for several months so far and the results have made me extremely happy w my hair's health.
Mix them a batch of this spritz so they can use it when u leave

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Okay, phew! All done.

I cleansed and detangled with 22nd Century Natural Woman's shampoo bar. It's very sudsy yet moisturizing and very slippery. Detangling wasn't too bad.

I applied a DC like a relaxer and she sat under the dryer for 20 minutes.

Then I did an LCO. I didn't have a good cream. Her mom asked me to do a twist out, so I installed 32 twists. It'll dry overnight, and we'll see how the take down looks.

I should not have divided the back down the middle and instead should have parted in such a way that the twist out will cover the crown without a split.

Thank you for the advice and videos. All was helpful!

Attachments

• WP_20161230_003.jpg
    WP_20161230_003.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 83

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
You've gotten some great advice. I just wanted to add steam is a great way to add moisture and the q renew literally MELTED my tangles away. You do need good products so her hair will stay soft and moisturized but it's the best hair tool I ever used

I saw this video and ordered it right away

More vids of the q renew on 4c hair

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Before our vacation ends and I leave, I'll clarify her hair, just in case it helps products to perform better.

Her mom agreed to take her to a salon for a trim. :up: I gave her a list of questions to ask. Hopefully their answers will inspire a regimen.

During pooing, I gave her a scalp massage. She was in heaven. Lol! When I put her under the dryer, OMG, you would've thought this was her wedding day hair prep or something. As I twisted her hair, she kept saying to her sisters, "Y'all need to go to bed. I have to stay up 'cause I'm getting my hair done!" LOL! Once all twisted up, she was swinging her hair back and forth. No tears the whole time. No yelling. :smile:

I learned some things: I now totally understand why some folks advocate finger detangling only, and no combs. It worked great on her COTTONY hair. However, I'm curious about whether other COILIES like myself concur: I get a way better experience with a wet brush. Finger detangling takes hours and hours and hours . . .

Her mom is requesting recommendations for a very moisturizing cream. I'll check the children's subforum.