EMERGENCY Aveda Hair Color Question: All Colorists HELP ASAP!

poookie

Hi Ladies!

I'm mixing up a batch of Aveda permanent hair color. (Violet/Blue) I'm attempting to dye the front portion of my hair. I have questions but the 1-800 aveda color line is currently closed (only open monday - friday)

1. how long should i leave it on to process for? Is it 30 minutes or 10 minutes? (I'm using a 20 volume developer and my hair is in good condition)
2. Is it possible to add a dash of semi-permanent color (like a Jazzings rinse) to tweak the permanent color result?

The bowl of color is sitting here on my desk & I'd love to know exactly what to do with it before I plop it on my head.

Thanks so much!

Is the section of hair already colored?

You might only need 10vol if so especially since cool based colors process and set faster on previously chemically treated hair.

And yes, you can use semi perm color to tone the result afterwards.

not colored, but lightened over time. i already poured the 20 volume in the mix. how long would be a good time to leave the mix on?

where do you buy aveda color? I've been going to the salon for the gray coverage and highlights and my hair is costing me about $200 once a quarter for this?!?!?!

ETA: I ADORE:love: the color and my hair is not dry and straw-ish, like in the past when I've had color, so I need to understand if I can do this myself or if I'm relegated to the salon for quarterly visits....

Last edited:
where do you buy aveda color from? I've been going to the salon for the gray coverage and highlights and my hair is costing me about $200 once a quarter for this?!?!?!

i buy it from eBay. i paid 4.99 (+ shipping) for each 1 oz tube of color. the developer is sold separately from the color, though. it's a bit pricey, but it's sold on eBay as well :yep:

Back