Dying hair to Jet Black / Blue Black

Whimsy

Hey everyone,

I know henna/indigo is really popular and I was considering it (still am…kinda) but my question is for those who dyed their hair JET BLACK or even BLUEBLACK with a commercial hair coloring product.

- What brand did you use?
- Did you follow instructions on the box or change it up to suit your needs?
- Are you happy with the results?
- How often do you touch up your roots?

Most importantly:
- Did you see any negative effects on your hair’s health after using the dye?

Thanks in advance to all who take the time out to answer!

Danielle

nycutiepie

I used to use Sebastian Cellophane in Black Orchid (I think that's the name of the color) to color my hair about every 6 weeks. I stopped a while ago but I was satisfied. I am getting ready to use Henna and Indigo to go back to blue black. One thing I want to point out is that the only way you can get rid of black or blue black is to grow it out. Please be certain that you are ready for the long term commitment.

Shaniquah

I did the blue black color, but it was a semi-permanent color because I didn't want it forever. I got it at Sally's Beauty Supply and it looked great! My hair wasn't damaged by it at all.

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
When I was relaxed I used Adelle (sp?) lights and brights in blue raven. It's semi permanent, but works well, especially if you clairfy first. You can get it at sallys. I didnt have to worry about the color running either, tho you will see some bleed when you wash.

Andreainnis

My hairdresser use to put a jet black semi-permanent rinse in my hair (not sure of brand, Jazz I think) and although it made my hair jet black, it felt chalky, dry & hard, no shine, and just had a dyed look. I have used the henna/indigo twice and the results are absolutely beautiful! Jet black, shiny & soft (after a deep condition:) ), permanent so it doesn't run when you sweat or wet your hair. I love it and would never go back to chemical dyes!

navsegda

I'm considering indigo because it's natural. I've been relaxed since I was 13 1/2 and over the years I've noticed my hair is lightening to brown in some areas. I used to have jet black hair and I want it back!

sareca

I use indigo now, but the last commerical dye I used was Natural Instincts in black. It was terrible. It dried my hair something terrible and looked really weird and fake. I used Natural Instincts in brown for years and years without a problem, but the black one really did a number on my hair.

healthyhair2

I recently used L'oreal Colorspa in Glossy Black and liked the results. My hair felt fine afterwards. This brand is Demi Permanent, which means it can last through 28 shampoos. Now my hair is natural, but I used it when I was relaxed as well. Even on my natural hair I did not leave it in the recommended time. I processed it for 9 minutes after smoothing it out to my ends. I also used about a quarter size of shampoo and worked it into my hair with the color and a bit of water before rinsing thoroughly. I then used a little protein conditioner mixed with the moisturizing one that came in the kit-worked that in and put on a plastic cap for 15 minutes then rinsed until the water ran clear. I then did my normal routine of moisturizing my hair and putting it in plaits. Worked for me. Good luck:)

HERicane10

Bump! Need feedback too. Cuz I've been eyeing Loreal Feria's Starry Night Black. It's supposed to have SUPER SHINE!

metalkitty

I heard Feria is really drying :perplexed, I can see the temptation though since that color is really pretty.
I can't tell you how much I love Lush Henna though! It is compound henna, but there's nothing bad in it like metallic compounds, there's things like cocoa butter and other natural things to help with the color. Honestly, it'll probably take a couple times to get your hair Jet Black, but it makes my hair so healthy! My hair gets less frizzy, there's barely any hair in my combs, and it's always soft. Thats a big deal for me. Oh, I don't work for them, just in case you were wondering.

http://usa.lush.com/cgi-bin/lushdb/catzoom.html?mv_arg=Hair Hennas&expand=Haircare , heres the link to the lush site...

Ms. Cleo

I have colored my hair with Miss Clairol #51D Black Velvet permanent color with the lowest peroxide available for years. I have never experienced problems with it.

The other brands I have tried left my hair hard and dry. Dark and Lovely took it out. Jazzin just did not do it for me. Bigen took a girlfriend of mines hair out.

I don't retouch that often. Only when I can see a huge line of demarcation.

divya

I just had my hair colored jet black on New Years Eve - new look for the new year. :) It's my first time coloring in my life and I like it alot. It was done at a salon and the stylist used Paul Mitchell semi-permanent black. I just make sure to moisturize my hair plenty.

so so chic

I dyed my hair with Bigen Oriental Black, and it was GREAT for my hair :D. I really love it. It did not damage my hair, and it made my hair jet black and shiny. I got this done back in July I think, for the first time. I had major issues with Loreal Feria (it was a lighter color though) drying my hair out, but when I used Bigen, my hair was wonderful. This is the only "store-bought" dye I will ever use.

twistedsista

That's funny that Lush Noir was brought up. I just hennaed my hair with it on sunday. My hair came out a very nice shiny black and is very soft. I have noticed that my hair has not shed as much when detangling. It's a nice even colour. I also do not work for them. I did however call the store where I live and also the company inquiry line and both individuals said there are no metallic salts. I did a test strand anyways and I was not disappointed. I hope this helps. By the way, I have 4a relaxed previously chemically coloured hair.

I will never chmically colour my hair again. It caused my hair strands to be thin and weakened. Luckily, I have a lot of hair to compensate.

Last edited:

mshoney2u

Just be careful when dying your hair jet black/blue black. I would suggest a semi and NOT a demi if you ever want to lift your hair. I use clariol's colorgloss a couple of year ago to dye my hair jet black. It turned out good. But when I went to get my hair lifted, it was murder my stylist had to end up bleaching me to give me highlights and it still didnt turn out the way i wanted :ohwell: .

Artemis

so so chic said:
I dyed my hair with Bigen Oriental Black, and it was GREAT for my hair :D. I really love it. It did not damage my hair, and it made my hair jet black and shiny. I got this done back in July I think, for the first time. I had major issues with Loreal Feria (it was a lighter color though) drying my hair out, but when I used Bigen, my hair was wonderful. This is the only "store-bought" dye I will ever use.

I used Bigen about a week ago, in Blue Black. My hair is very soft and shiny...Definitely a keeper for me. I only plan on retouching when the roots get too outrageous. Or if my minimal grays start waving at me, lol!

2cute2B4gotten

so so chic said:

I used Bigen too, and I love it. That was like in October and my hair is still shiny! It is the only hair color that hasn't eventually stripped my hair of the shine.

asiaticlily

artemis_e. said:
I used Bigen about a week ago, in Blue Black. My hair is very soft and shiny...Definitely a keeper for me. I only plan on retouching when the roots get too outrageous. Or if my minimal grays start waving at me, lol!

Ditto! I've used Bigen for years.

GoingNatural

I dyed my hair jet black with dark and lovely and another time with Feria. It NEVER stays black. I start off with beautiful jet black hair and then slowly but surely i'm back to brown.

Whimsy

Thank you ladies for all the input. I think i'll be trying bigen next weekend. It's still safe to do henna treatments if i choose to, right?

AVNchick

KhandiB said:
So bigen is safe to use on Relaxed hair?

Is it permanent?

I use Bigen Oriental Black and I'm relaxed. I haven't had any problems with it whatsever. My hair is soft and shiny after I use it. It's a permanent powder, but it doesn't contain ammonia like most permanents do. I retouch with it every time I retouch my relaxer. Love It!!! HTH.

toniy

I used this for years #52. My hair never dried out and the conditioner that comes in the box was very good. I now henna/indigo because I like knowing that I get more than just color from using it.

santia

I always see Bigen in the BSS. I pick it up, then put it back. I really do want to try it. Great now there's another product :grin:

Artemis

Whimsy,

I think I read in another thread somewhere that you used Revlon Colorstay. How's that working out for you?? Did you use the blue/black shade?

Whimsy

Artemis -

I used Revlon Colorsilk. I didn't use the blueblack. I used the next level down so to speak. Jet Black. I'm quite happy with it. It's been a week and I'm going to shampoo today and see if I lose any of the color. I hope I don't. Colorsilk made the color very deep and vibrant.
Updated photos are in my album if you'd like to see. Also I'm going to update my siggie.

If you try it, tell me how you like the colorsilk.

Artemis

Whimsy said:
Artemis -

I used Revlon Colorsilk. I didn't use the blueblack. I used the next level down so to speak. Jet Black. I'm quite happy with it. It's been a week and I'm going to shampoo today and see if I lose any of the color. I hope I don't. Colorsilk made the color very deep and vibrant.
Updated photos are in my album if you'd like to see. Also I'm going to update my siggie.

If you try it, tell me how you like the colorsilk.

LOL! Colorsilk--that's what I meant; I'm thinking a/b doing my nails, that's why I said Colorstay, haha.

I've used it before, however this was before the very informative "colored girls" thread from Tracy...so I didn't keep up w/my proteins, and I had beaucoup breakage. I'm still liking the Bigen blue/black I put in a few weeks ago, although I don't think it's as permanent as it's s'posed to me :ohwell: It's dark, but not as much as the 1st couple of weeks.

MissFallon

I just put a rinse in my hair that was black last week. I used Adore semi-perm hair color in jet black. I have pics in my "natural hair texture" album in my fotki. I left it in for about 1.5 hour w/ no heat. I think the color took great w/o the recommended heat.

Sistaslick

I just used Bigen (Black Brown) for the first time last week and used Jazzings in clear over the top of it for extra shine... the color is BEAUTIFUL, but its much darker than I expected. It's JET BLACK!!! I was expecting a dark, coffee brown or something. I can't even imagine how dark it would have been if I would have gone one step darker with the oriental black! I love it though. The shine is amazing, and black hair just looks so healthy to me. Bigen is a keeper. I had to use 4 boxes to do my big old dome. One box wasn't even enough for my edges and hairline.:lol:

I was using Colourshines in black orchid before, and while it was a great color the bronzey highlights I had on my natural red brown hair were coming out a tealish/greenish tone under that blue dye.:eek: No more blue water for me. :lol: