dying hair black question

melahnee

what do you all have to say about this? I've heard that dying your hair black doesn't really damage it.. and henna is not an option for me.
my hair is like a medium brown and I really want to dye it black so it could look better and healthier, but my hair is already kind of damaged. what do you all think?

bronzephoenix

The last time I colored my hair black, it sealed my cuticles and it was really hard to moisturize :(

But back when I flat ironed all the time, I loved going black because the coating left it really silky feeling and glossy looking, so I thought it left my hair in better shape. What type of damage do you have?

Proverbs 31:30

Evolving78

what do you all have to say about this? I've heard that dying your hair black doesn't really damage it.. and henna is not an option for me.
my hair is like a medium brown and I really want to dye it black so it could look better and healthier, but my hair is already kind of damaged. what do you all think?

I plan on coloring mine too. Black isn't damaging. But you will still need to dc. It can be drying if u don't.

30something

I died my hair black several times I never experience any damage from it. I suggest staying away from L'Oreal Feria Starry Night it faded and turned my hair brownish purple...twice. Bigen oriental black and is better.. but it is jet black.

melahnee

The last time I colored my hair black, it sealed my cuticles and it was really hard to moisturize :(

But back when I flat ironed all the time, I loved going black because the coating left it really silky feeling and glossy looking, so I thought it left my hair in better shape. What type of damage do you have?

thank you all for responding. bronzephoenix I have some heat damage and I'm guessing some bleach/dye damage from over a year ago on some of the ends :blush: it's almost gone..

Kinky4Agirl

Dying your hard dark is not damaging to your hair. It's when you try to dye it light that it is damaging because the hair's color has to be lifted or something like that...

Ann0804

In my experience:

I have had just about every hair color there is, and black is the least damaging since you are not bleaching which causes dryness. It also does give the appearance of having thicker, shinier and healthier hair.

You could do a semi permanent jet black or black to see how your hair will look and feel before making a commitment.

Mz.MoMo5235

Black wont damage it but it wont magically fix what damage you have though. The black dye sits as a coating on your hair so people think its healthy because it makes the hair strand feel thicker or look better but what ever damage you have will still be there. So take care of your hair according to the damage you have.

Also be sure to dc whether you do a perm, semi, or rinse. It can almost act like a protein and be drying and if you dont take care you can make your current damage worse.

I'm rather lucky and when ever I've gone dark I havent had too much drying out to where I needed a super dc. But I've seen some girls go black and their hair snap right off because their hair was so dry and coated from the black it was stiff and any manipulation caused all kind of breaks

bronzephoenix

Black wont damage it but it wont magically fix what damage you have though. The black dye sits as a coating on your hair so people think its healthy because it makes the hair strand feel thicker or look better but what ever damage you have will still be there. So take care of your hair according to the damage you have.

Also be sure to dc whether you do a perm, semi, or rinse. It can almost act like a protein and be drying and if you dont take care you can make your current damage worse.

I'm rather lucky and when ever I've gone dark I havent had too much drying out to where I needed a super dc. But I've seen some girls go black and their hair snap right off because their hair was so dry and coated from the black it was stiff and any manipulation caused all kind of breaks

Agreed!

InBloom

In my new-growth
I've tried all kinds of products to color my hair black. They all seem to give me a nice result, but I have a favorite that I'll use from now on.

I LOVE using Naturtint - bought at Whole Foods. It's long-lasting..not really permanent although it says so. I wash my hair often with sulfate free shampoos and find that after about 2-3 months or so, my hair is back to the dark/chocolate brown color it likes.

I never experience damage UNLESS I slack on my deep moisturizing DC's. It's applied to dry hair.

Prior to finding the Naturtint, I used and loved Colorshowers/demi-perm. It didn't last as long, but the color was fabulous and never seemed to dry me out. It is, however, messy to apply and the undertone is a blue color. It would stain my skin blue from time to time.

I would suggest them both, but the frontrunner is Naturtint IMO.

PureSilver

I dyed my hair with black henna once when my hair was relaxed. Oh boy oh boy i loved i.t (see my album) My hair was so lovely, shiny looked thick even though i have very fine strands and was soft. I don't know about dryness, maybe that's because i always DC

CarmelCupcake

I dyed my hair black a few years back....lets just say I am currently a member of long hair care forum from the experience.... After dying my hair black, inches of hair broke off immediately....maybe I didn't know what I was doing...I don't know what happened....I would recommend a professional to do it if u must do it