How much does hair dye damage hair?

Sarahh.

I have medium brown hair and am thinking of dying my hair darker brown in a month or so when I'm due to flat iron, measure and photograph my hair. I've used Loreal hair dye before and like it and will probably use that again. I'm white and my hair is quite healthy, but how much damage will this dye do? I didn't think it would be much because I think this dye is quite gentle, but last time I used it I probably wasn't as fussy about my hair and didn't notice the damage as much. Any advice?

BostonMaria

Well I used to dye my hair for years (not anymore) and noticed that black hair dye would just fry my hair eventually. I think it all depends on the application and making sure you moisturize. When I dyed my hair black I was also applying lots of heat and relaxing my hair. It was a miracle I wasn't bald LOL I only henna now, but that's because I want to get rid of greys. My advice to you is maybe get the first dye professionally and do the upkeep yourself. If money is tight, then go ahead and dye your hair brown and make sure you moisturize your hair frequently.

BTW, I noticed your hair looks much shorter. When did you cut it?

dlewis

It damaged my hair. And it was a rinse. I notice that my mothers hair is very thin from 37 years of dying her hair. And she still won't stop using it. I said and I'll say it again, I'll rather have a head full of grey hair than have thin dyed hair.

Tinkerbell19

I have been dying my hair for yrs and the key is conditioning AND moisturizing and also try to stay away from too much direct heat. If you look at my avatar pic u will see I was red now I have just dyed it chocolate and its still healthy. Its all about how u care for your hair AFTER its dyed. Good Luck :grin:

LivingDoll

I always feel like rinses help to seal my hair's cuticles. My hair is a lot bouncier and shiny after I've done a fresh rinse. Now using demi-perm colors (colors requiring a developer lotion) are a lot more harsh for the hair. I don't use those. They eventually lead to thinning and breakage if used too often or done improperly.

livesoundtech

I dyed my hair once every 3-4 weeks for over 8 years... and honestly, all the chemicals ruined the texture of my hair. It used to have curls and it used to bounce and have life... but now it's flat, dry, extremely porous... and I used extremely gentle hair dyes. I guess it depends on your hair. As most of the ladies here know, I'm Sicilian... I don't have sleek or shiny hair naturally (I have a dry, course texture) so my hair may have already been too dry to use color. However, if you feel that your hair can handle it, go for it. Rinse the dye after 20 or so minutes... don't leave it on for 45 minutes like the box says. Deep condition often (2x a week) and seal with EVOO. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Some of my hair is so thin that you can see through it. Other strands are thick, course, and have very tight Z-shaped curls. Eventually, your hair gets so porous that the dyes don't even stick anymore... so I have some strands with literally no pigment! Not trying to deter you... but seriously be careful and consider organic dyes.

Sarahh.

Well I used to dye my hair for years (not anymore) and noticed that black hair dye would just fry my hair eventually. I think it all depends on the application and making sure you moisturize. When I dyed my hair black I was also applying lots of heat and relaxing my hair. It was a miracle I wasn't bald LOL I only henna now, but that's because I want to get rid of greys. My advice to you is maybe get the first dye professionally and do the upkeep yourself. If money is tight, then go ahead and dye your hair brown and make sure you moisturize your hair frequently.

BTW, I noticed your hair looks much shorter. When did you cut it?

Nope, no trims for me-maybe you have me mixed up with someone else.
You can have a look at my pics on my lhcf page if you'd like.
And thanks for the advice too.

Sarahh.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
I am still thinking of dying, and if I decide to I'll be sure to be very careful and do lots of extra conditioning and moisturising.

Last edited:

Liberianmami26

I dyed my hair once every 3-4 weeks for over 8 years... and honestly, all the chemicals ruined the texture of my hair. It used to have curls and it used to bounce and have life... but now it's flat, dry, extremely porous... and I used extremely gentle hair dyes. I guess it depends on your hair. As most of the ladies here know, I'm Sicilian... I don't have sleek or shiny hair naturally (I have a dry, course texture) so my hair may have already been too dry to use color. However, if you feel that your hair can handle it, go for it. Rinse the dye after 20 or so minutes... don't leave it on for 45 minutes like the box says. Deep condition often (2x a week) and seal with EVOO. Hope this helps!

EDIT: Some of my hair is so thin that you can see through it. Other strands are thick, course, and have very tight Z-shaped curls. Eventually, your hair gets so porous that the dyes don't even stick anymore... so I have some strands with literally no pigment! Not trying to deter you... but seriously be careful and consider organic dyes.

wow the same thing happened to my friend she is italian like sicialian and she had like nice curls she dyed her hair a lot but when she went blonde it was all down hill from there cuz she say she has no curls anymore and she had to chop her hair off now she is trying to grow it bacl