Dyeing hair from red to brown/black?

Hairsofab

Right now I have not dyed my hair at all. I dyed my hair a light blondish color years ago and that caused a lot of breakage but it was also before I discovered LHCF and my relaxed hair was in bad condition anyway. I've since grown all that color out and my hair is natural-ish for the past 3 and a half years.(I had a very mild texturizer several months ago).

I am thinking about dyeing my hair a reddish color. Its been years since I dyed my hair and I'm scared if I do it, that I might not like it. So I'm wondering is it possible to dye hair from red to brown without a lot of damage?

Hairsofab

No I haven't thought about henna. I've seen some henna results on others and dont care for the way it looks. The color never looks that strong.

Mrs. Verde

Not trying to split hairs with you (pun intended) but I'm not sure you are "naturalish". If you had a texturizer a few months ago then your texlaxed. The reason I bring this up is not to make a big deal out of using the word natural, but in how you deal with your hair. You have a chemical on it and it's need to be treated accordingly. The reality is our hair fragile, PERIOD end of story. However, your hair might be a little more fragile because of the chemicals.

Now after all that, I think you can successfully dye your hair red. You will cause some damage, that's just part of the process when you lighten your hair (and sometimes when you darken it). How you treat your hair after the dye is the key. You will need to kick up the moisture, and possibly, the protein. Do you have a clear idea of moisturizing DC vs. protein DCs? I ask because a lot of people are confused and don't know which ingredients are proteins. Do you have a steamer? If you do, then I would make sure you use at least once a week, maybe twice.

I know you don't like the color of henna. However, keep in mind any "bold" color you put on your hair is going to cause damage. The brighter the color the more damage. Good luck.

Hairsofab

I may just dye my hair black. I really want a red color but you are right ultimately I'm very scared of the damage.

I said natural-ish because my hair does not look texlaxed, it is still very kinky and behaves like natural hair and the chemical was only on for 5 minutes back in february. Its just hard for me to consider myself truly texlaxed because my hair doesn't look it at all.

LadyPaniolo

Tread carefully if you plan to lighten your hair! Even though the chemical was only on for a few minutes it was still chemically processed. To add haircolor to the mix is making a pretty big gamble.

I wish henna didn't give that strong of a color... after I've indigo'd like 5 times I still have swaths of my hair that are dead up RED, in the sun especially so, due to henna. Each individual application might not make a huge difference at first, but if you keep using it the effect really does make your hair red.

Alternatively you could get it black with indigo (and just skip the henna altogether).

*CherryPie*

It may not look like it, but your hair is texlaxed. No matter how little time the chemical was on there, it still did something to your hair, whether it looks like it or not.

I just had to say that, because the other day my older sister told me that she was natural because she only puts relaxer on her hair a few times a year. I thought she knew better, but she didn't. /that had me wondering if many people thought this way...

I may just dye my hair black. I really want a red color but you are right ultimately I'm very scared of the damage.

I said natural-ish because my hair does not look texlaxed, it is still very kinky and behaves like natural hair and the chemical was only on for 5 minutes back in february. Its just hard for me to consider myself truly texlaxed because my hair doesn't look it at all.

EllePixie

How dark is your hair? I used henna to get my red color and it's bright - lol, a little too bright. But, I had previously dyed my hair light/med brown.