Do the chemicals in hair dye change the curl pattern in natural hair?

Radianthealth

That was not the desired effect when I dyed my hair. I feel like my two years of progress may have been slightly compromised :ohwell:

I dyed my hair jet black with permanent hair dye about a month ago now I have chunks of brown, black, and reddish brown hair throughout my head. It isn't dramatic but when the sunlight hits my hair it looks really weird :(.

I most likely won't ever dye my hair again. Can anyone explain why these two things might have happened.

Does dye change the curl pattern of natural hair?

Why didn't my permanent hair color stay? Why do I have three different colors throughout my head?

Lucia

Depends did you have henna or another or in your hair before ever?
Maybe since you DIY you missed some patches
Most people's hair is different subtle tones and highlights of a color not just straight one color maybe the black dye makes your naturally lighter brown hair show up more.
I don't think permanent color changes curl pattern unless your lightening it and that takes bleach in various concentrations depending on how light you want to go.
You may want to do some DCs and in 2-3 weeks try to color it black again yourself or get a good colorist to do it for you HTH

Last edited:

Radianthealth

Thanks!

That is reassuring, I am deep conditioning now. I think I am going to keep it 100% natural from this point on.

westNDNbeauty

Chemical dyes absolutely changes the texture of the dyed hair.

Henna loosens the texture, but it returns after a few washes.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
It's a possibility; not everyone can take the chemical process. Did you do a strand test/ patch test before hand?

After several conditioning treatments, you can add a semi-permanent rinse to your hair. (Do a search on cellophanes or rinses.) Perhaps that will help 'correct' the patchiness of color. A professional colorist can be beneficial as well. HTH

Last edited:

MaraWithLove

Hmm, it probably does change curl pattern-but I think it varies depending on the person and the color. My hair looks noticeably more curly when my hair is dark, and more like fluff when it's lightened. That's just my two cents haha.

As stated above maybe you missed some spots or it created a highlight effect. My natural hair is a moderate brown with blonde and gold undertones so before I've ended up with parts of my hair that looked reddish. Perhaps porosity also plays its part in this? Hmm