Coconut Oil causing dry scalp?

achangedlife

I read an article on CareFair.com that says coconut oil can have a drying affect on the skin, so people with oily skin tend to use it as a moisturizer cause it balances excess oil, and people with oily scalp use it as well. That would explain why whenever I do a pre-poo, oil rinse, or seal with coconut oil I'm darn near scratching the skin off my head the day after. I know a lot of you use it and if it works for you than continue to do your thang. I don't think I'll be using it any more. I did an oil rinse with Hot Six oil today (which probably has some coconut oil in it), but my itching is completely gone.

My daughter also complained of her scalp itching when I did a pre-poo with coconut and other oils in her head a couple of weeks ago. I was perplexed cause with the amount of oil I put in her head there was no way that her scalp should've been dry.

Just wanted to share in case anyone using coconut oil is suffering from itchy scalp and doesn't know why.

trevprit

My mom experiences this with coconut oil. She said it dries her scalp out terribly and causes it to flake and itch. At least I can tell her I just read about it somewhere. When she told me this I thought it may have been the one of the components of the oil, like the lauric acid, maybe? But I never did the research. Thanks for the info. Off to carefair.com to read more.:yep:

chasturner84

That is interesting. I am not a fan of coconut oil anyway. After using it, I don't have scalp problems but my hair is always dry and crunchy :nono: --I hate that! Lately, I've been using it as a hot oil treatment on dry hair just to use it up. When it is gone, I won't be repurchasing it.

ycj1

I am so glad you posted this thread! Since I've been using the coconut oil on my hair and my scalp (only to refresh my braids) I've also noticed how dry my hair and scalp seems to be too! Whew! I thought it was just me and that's why I never said anything. I did'nt want ppl to think I was 1 in a million with that same issue. I too will have to see about using other oils that's just as beneficial than coconut oil. I have an extremely dry scalp and hair, and that's the last thing I should continue to use. Thanks again for bringing this up. Now I know it's not just me.

shtow

I got this from online http://eternalvoyageur.xanga.com/702383032/coconut-oil-is-drying/

" I love to use oils for cleansing as well as for moisturising. However all oils are not equal, and while some may work magic, others may wreak havoc on the skin.

Recently I discovered that coconut oil is drying when used on the skin – as soap makers already know ! It forms a barrier on the skin, and although initially it may seem moisturizing, after a while you'll feel that your skin has dried up underneath.

This is because coconut oil molecules are to big to be absorbed by the skin. So the oil stays on the surface, acting like a barrier that keeps the stuff in your skin in, and the stuff outside out. (Coconut oil might work well if you live in a place that is hot and humid ?)

Also, since the skin is so oily on the surface, it stops producing its own oils, so after some days the skin will dry out."

(yes, they spelled moisturizing and too wrong lol)

IDK. I thought coconut oil was one of the few oils that can absorb. If the author is saying this is why coconut oil makes skin dry, then pretty much any oil will do the same, since coconut is one of the best at penetrating (up to 70 percent).

foxee

This probably explains why my scalp has been an itchy, flaky mess the last few weeks. Coconut oil worked fine during the summertime though. I'm switching back to almond oil or EVOO during the winter. Thanks for the article!

Mdmommy99

Thank you so much for posting this. I just started using coconut oil because I am a newbie and notice that so many others here use it as a part of their routine. I actually love way that my hair looks and feels but my scalp has also been itching horribly for the past two weeks. I was about to start a thread to ask suggestions as to what could be the culprit but I had never thought about the coconut oil as a possibility since I never really thought that an oil could dry your skin.