Dominican Saloners - Setting Lotion or Leave-in

Luli

Hey Ladies,

For all those who frequent the Las Dominicanas, was wondering if you new about a particular setting lotion or leave-in. My girlfriend went to a DS yesterday for the first time in Maryland. She said that the stylist sprayed something in her hair before rollersetting it that was creamy and white/clear. It was in an unmarked bottle and it smelled like a baby doll. Very fresh and clean smell. Her old stylist used to use Salerm 21 so it's definantely not that. When she asked the stylist what it was, she wouldn't tell her - she just said "Oh it's Dominican." Even after pressing her about it - she still would tell her the name.
Does anyone get there hair set with something that looks and smells as described. She wants me to try to find it for her in NY. Thanks ladies!

Luli

THanks Tracy, do you have any idea of what kind of conditioner they could be using. I travel between NY and DC alot, and I notice that most salons usually use the same things. I know there are so many different kinds of "dominican" conditioner and products but I have yet to remember one that smells like a new baby doll. My girlfriend said that was the only way she could describe it.

A

AmilLion

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Luli said:
Hey Ladies,

For all those who frequent the Las Dominicanas, was wondering if you new about a particular setting lotion or leave-in. My girlfriend went to a DS yesterday for the first time in Maryland. She said that the stylist sprayed something in her hair before rollersetting it that was creamy and white/clear. It was in an unmarked bottle and it smelled like a baby doll. Very fresh and clean smell. Her old stylist used to use Salerm 21 so it's definantely not that. When she asked the stylist what it was, she wouldn't tell her - she just said "Oh it's Dominican." Even after pressing her about it - she still would tell her the name.
Does anyone get there hair set with something that looks and smells as described. She wants me to try to find it for her in NY. Thanks ladies!

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually prefer my Leave-In conditioner over a setting lotion. I hate the the feeling of "film" on my hair or the crispy feel of it when the rollers come off. With my leave-in conditioner, once i'm finished under the dryer, the rollers are nearly falling from my head.

Allandra

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
AmilLion said:
I actually prefer my Leave-In conditioner over a setting lotion. I hate the the feeling of "film" on my hair or the crispy feel of it when the rollers come off. With my leave-in conditioner, once i'm finished under the dryer, the rollers are nearly falling from my head.

[/ QUOTE ]
I use a leave-in conditioner too for my roller sets (been using it this way for years). I was never crazy about setting lotions.
Sometimes I'll use 'regular' conditioner and water in a spray bottle. It works like a charm.

Nzinga

I use Lottabody, the one that you have to dilute, and I love it. It seems like conditoner and water would leave a film, but, I will probably give it a try.

Do your curls last long using this method? Do you have a glossy look? I use Lottabody because I like the way it makes my hair look. It's only crispy when I remove the rollers if I got carried away spraying it.

Nzinga

Why don't some stylists like to tell you what they are using on YOUR HAIR? I guess they think we will not come back to them if we know and can use it ourselves? Recently, my stylists was defensive when I asked her what strength relaxer she used on my hair.

Luli

Hey Ms_Kenesha,

I'm not exactly sure but I will find out. I think the name is D&amp;G Hair Designs and I think it's on Fenton Street behind City Place in Silver Spring. The only thing she liked about that place is what they used to set her hair. SHe got some highlights and they screwed her up - and acted like nothing was wrong with it. I know she had to turn around and make an appt with her reg. stylist for tomorrow to actually fix the color. She's Dominican too, but works in an AA salon. I'll get the proper info and let you know.

Tracy

Luli,

Lemme think a little and get back to you. I can't think of anything specifically that would smell the way you described, but the description of the "look" is very common and usually means conditioner and water.

I'll sniff around at the beauty supply and see if I can identify anything.

Like a "babydoll" makes me think of the milk and honey formulations of Dominican conditioners off hand.... they ten to have a sweet, baby powderish scent.

More details later.

peacelove

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Ladies,

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, Luli. I am not positive, but I think I know what this is. I went to a Dominican salon today for the first time in about 7 years - they used Fermodyl Interactives. It is a Treatment &amp; Shine leave in conditioner. It does have a baby smell, the only thing is that this one is pink, so I am not positive. But maybe it is something out of this line. The salon I went to sold a number of their products.