Mousse or setting lotion?

melodee

Which do you prefer for setting the hair. Mousse was big in the late 80's/early 90's, then it's populartiy kind of waned in favor of the more watery setting products. Do you use Mousse or another type of setting lotion? And if so, what are the benfits for you? I tend to get a lot of shine with Smooth and Shine styling Mousse.

Also, does anyone know what setting lotion your stylist usus. Mine keeps it a secret so I won't be able to duplicate it at home.

model_chick717

I prefer setting lotion over mousse. I find that mousse is a little more drying and tends to make hair feel "crunchy".

melodee

Which type of setting lotion do you use, Modelchick? I've only used Lottabody and it leave me crunchy.

PrettyBrownEyes

I use the ready to use Lottabody or Keracare or Pantene R&N setting lotion.

I've never used mousse so I can't comare the 2 products.

ChoclatePrincess

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
Also, does anyone know what setting lotion your stylist usus. Mine keeps it a secret so I won't be able to duplicate it at home.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you just hate that, that really burns me up!

I asked one beautician what something was and she acted like if she told me she would have to kill me.
I've only used Lottabody for shirley temple curls or straw set. Do you blow it out after it's dry? I use TiGi Bed Head to set my hair. It's leaves my hair with a lot of body and shine.

melodee

Hmm , TiGi Bed Head? Never thought of that one. What is the "ready to use" Lottabody? I gotta try once my Smooth and Shine runs out. It's not bad, though. It doen't make me crunchy like other Mousse products. I do get a lot of shine.

PrettyBrownEyes

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
Hmm , TiGi Bed Head? Never thought of that one. What is the "ready to use" Lottabody? I gotta try once my Smooth and Shine runs out. It's not bad, though. It doen't make me crunchy like other Mousse products. I do get a lot of shine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Melodee, here it is Ready To Use Lottabody

KinksnCurlz

You guys know I love me some keracare but i HATE their setting lotion, makes my hair feel sticky and
. I like motions foam wrap or lottabody HEAVILY diluted with water. I so hate the crunchy curls. I'll have to go home and check out the supply, there is something else I use but i can't remember the name of it.

PrettyBrownEyes

You know what happens with me with Keracare's setting lotion CH is that I can't use it alone, it seems like my hair isn't "sealed" then. I've used it with their Jojoba Oil Moisturizer with much better results. I got that tip off of their website.

KinksnCurlz

That makes sense. I've tried the Keracare SL twice and i just couldn't figure out what the hell it was lacking... the oil probably helped ease the sticky feeling, although i don't have their oil, i have organic jojoba so maybe i'll give that a try. Thanks PBE

PrettyBrownEyes

Sure! I'm not crazy about using their oil moisturizer outside of how I mentioned above, so if you try their brand try to get a small size in case you don't like it either.

soslychic

I like the foamy properties of mousse because I feel that it's easy to work with and distribute, but all of them leave my hair too dry and crunchy. So I prefer foam setting lotions. I love Elasta QP Design Foam. Dosn't leave hair hard, gives a nice set, and is easy to apply.

SoniT

I prefer setting lotion although I've used Motions Foam Wrap lotion and Keracare's Foam Wrap Set lotion. I mainly use those for wraps. For rollersets, I use Lottabody or Pantene Relaxed and Natural Conditioning Setting Lotion. Lottabody is a long-time friend of mine but I LOVE Pantene's setting lotion. No crunch at all and I love the way it detangles my hair.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
melodee, you have to dilute lottabody or your hair will be hard. it says so on the bottle. dudleys isnt so bad either.

i like setting lotion because mousse makes my hair hard and dry!

Karonica

I'm not into mousse anymore. The only time I may use it is for a wet-n-wavy, but that style doesn't work much for me anymore, so I have no use for mousse. Setting lotion is always good to have around, IMO.

karezone

I use Elasta Qp design foam on wet hair (roller setting or wet wrapping) and then I use Finesse Moisturizing mousse on dry hair.

melodee

CH,I hate crunchy curls, too.
Once I bought TCB wrap and setting foam, but when I read that it had SDalcohol, I took that bad boy back.

calbear

I started using LottaBody on my braid outs and i have to use quite a bit for the curls to stay. I remember as a kid that stuff made my hair hard but lately I'm not getting much hold and I'm not even dilluting. Did they change the formula when they changed the bottle design?

soslychic

[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
I see, they're starting to call Mousse Setting Foam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....maybe. I do'nt really know what the difference between mousse and setting foam is but all I know is that every mousse I've ever tried comes in a certain sort of bottle, requires you to shake the bottle and turn it over before squirint, comes out in a hard foam ball so that you can throw it in the air and catch it again (
) and leaves my hair hard, crunchy, and utterly dry and yucky. Setting foam (the ones that I have tried) hasn't done that to me yet.

naomi

good skin and hair
I havent used a setting lotion in a long time. But I always used Lottabody - the one thats already prediluted. And I always like the set it gave me, nice bouncy hair. But I had discovered mousse, so I was using Paul Mitchell sculpting foam for a while and that is really good.

Anyway I really dont see a difference in mouse or setting lotion. Its just that mousse comes in a pump foam dispenser. Its really just the packaging that determines if its a mousse or setting lotion than the actual product.

mouse, foam, setting lotion all sets your hair.

melodee

[ QUOTE ]
soslychic said:
[ QUOTE ]
melodee said:
I see, they're starting to call Mousse Setting Foam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm....maybe. I do'nt really know what the difference between mousse and setting foam is but all I know is that every mousse I've ever tried comes in a certain sort of bottle, requires you to shake the bottle and turn it over before squirint, comes out in a hard foam ball so that you can throw it in the air and catch it again (
) and leaves my hair hard, crunchy, and utterly dry and yucky. Setting foam (the ones that I have tried) hasn't done that to me yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The part bout throwing it up in the air. The mousse I have isn't really hard, but I know what you mean. But reaaly, setting lotion is a new take on mousse. Good observation!