Dominican Hair Techniques at Home

Royalq

Oh yeah, i remember my relaxed days at the dominicans. They have terrible hair care techniques but the results are drool worthy. I live in Brooklyn NY and there's a dominican shop on every street. I have 2 that are two blocks from me.
They use very little product in the hair which is why the end result is so light flowy. They usually shampoo me twice and then DC. After washing out the DC they put no other product in my hair, its completely naked. Sometimes if you ask for it they'll put those tiny little leave in things that are in the plastic vial. They then roller set like a dream. the dominicans dont rollerset for curl they rollerset to make your hair dry. unless you want to walk out after the rollerset but it wasnt for the purpose of style. Then you have two options the can blow your roots and then wrap your hair (still no damn product, they never even use heat protectant). Or they can blow out your hair straight and flat iron for a more silky polished look. Too much damn heat, not enough product or heat protectant. beautiful results still.

Royalq

oh yeah, and those friggin blow dryers are HOooooooot! I think its called turbo 3000 blow dryer. It for professional hair dressers so it has crazy power and the attachment concentration nozzle is soo thin it gets your roots supper straight with the right technique. But if they get too close to your scalp that thang hurts soo bad.
and the results arent in the products they use its the technique. The ones i go to rarely have dominican products its usually just some random shampoo and conditioner.

Last edited:

danysedai

this is an old thread, right?

I want one of those hair dryers (the turbo dryer). I also think it's hard to do it on yourself as the stylist is standing behind and over you so the dryer is positioned vertically and the angle does not burn your scalp. All those people who have their scalp burning is when the stylist has positioned the dryer incorrectly.
I LOVE rollersetting and learned a lot from my dominican hairdresser. I also rollerset for drying my hair, not for the curls.
I also agree that they use little product but they are big on deep conditioning with heat. In fact, when I lived in Montreal, the hairdresser told the shampoo lady not to apply the leave in I had brought and told me it was too heavy, so she used something lighter. The ones I've been to do not flat iron the hair afterwards, just the blower and maybe a tubi (wrap) when they are done. My hair was flawless but super straight (like my sister says Jackie Chan straight) and I like my hair with volume.
This is a picture of those days