Dominican Hair Techniques at Home

aprilbiz

Hey Ladies,

Since the Dominican salons have the techniques that give beautiful results, and since some of us aren't fortunate enough to have a Dominican salon or community in our area (still looking for one in Cincinnati, OH), I'm wondering if anyone has been able to master their techniques for home usage?

I've got a pretty good list going of Dominican products, but what exactly is done to achieve the awesome results? I know I've heard about the hot blow dryers. How is it done, and at what point during the service?

Do they use any particular styling aids (beyond the shampoo and conditioners) that help achieve the straight look?

Thanks!

Tracy

It's not really the styling aids April. It's the technique. They rollerset the hair and then use a blowdryer to get it slightly straighter (a more finished look) or blow the roots (same idea, less potential damage if your hair is sensitive to even weekly heat) and then wrap it to get it even straighter. They use very little product as well. Mostly just a leave in after it's washed and before it's set. Then a little serum or some sheen after the set and before the blower, or after the blower even.

I just wash and rollerset - no blowdryer - at home to get a similar look.

aprilbiz

Thanks Tracy! That's interesting that it's blow dried after the rollerset. Doesn't that take away too much of the curl? Or do they blow the hair while still in curlers?

Also, any particular kind of rollers that are used? I am going to try that root blow out. I would rather compromise using heat to get my roots straight then having to retouch every two months. If I can stretch it, that would be great.

aikaa71

thanks for the tips Tracy.

Also want to know do the use a particular technique when roller setting? i.e the way the rollers are positioned and how firmly the put the rollers in

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
aikaa71 said:
Also want to know do the use a particular technique when roller setting? i.e the way the rollers are positioned and how firmly the put the rollers in

[/ QUOTE ]
The middle section of the hair is normally rolled back, and the sides are normally rolled down.

vevster

One think I learned from my Dominican stylist is to use a clarifying shampoo for the first 1-2 shampoos then finish w/ a moisturizing detangling shampoo....

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
[ QUOTE ]
vevster said:
One think I learned from my Dominican stylist is to use a clarifying shampoo for the first 1-2 shampoos then finish w/ a moisturizing detangling shampoo....

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting... My cousin goes to a Dominican stylist and she says they lather her hair 3-4 times, too.
I thought it was because of her religous scalp greasing. She gets her natural hair blown out roots to tips. It looks so pretty for a few days. Then she starts globbing on the grease again.

lsubabiedee

I used to rollerset my hair on magnetic rollers and I think that I achieved the same look that I have seen on others that went to dominican salons

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
aprilbiz said:
Anyone know how they do both of the blowout techniques?

[/ QUOTE ]
They use a round brush and a blow dryer (hot, but not too hot). For the roots only, they just use the brush and blow dryer on the roots. For the roots and the length of the hair, they use the brush and blow dryer on all of the hair (of course, while turning the brush round-n-round). The blow dryer is usually held a few inches away from the brush.

AnjelLuvs

I have pic in my album and I must say that I feel like it is the same as goin to the beuty shop. I do both regular sets and ponytail sets( when lazy)

Paris Belle

[ QUOTE ]
vevster said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I usually do this..I clarify with the first wash and then use CON or Breakthru for the next two washes. I never have a problem with buildup and since I use Dax Vegetable Shampoo as the clarifying shampoo (it's very gentle) it doesn't strip or dry out my hair.

lunalight7

I do this too CarmenRose. I always clarify weekly with AO Swimmers or DAX and then do another poo with AO Sea Buckthorn and Egg or with CON if I have a lot of new growth. Works well and I never have any buildup.

AceH

<font color="blue"> does anybody know what type of products they use as they are doing the blow out? </font>

NAY007

This is what I do:

I wash my hair twice with a clarifying shampoo and then follow with CON. Then I condition my hair and rinse. I apply a serum (with my hair parted in four sections). Then I start blowdrying my hair in sections. I blow dry each section until the hair is 80% dry, then I add some pink oil.

When I have more time I put my hair in a bun first so the top part of my hair can air dry straight. Then I take the bun out and blow dry the rest of the hair with the same procedure as above.

AceH

<font color="blue"> Thanks NAY. I will definately keep this in mind - especially about getting a round brush </font>

lonei

I am from England so have never been to a dominican salon. In spite of this, some of the ladies state that my photos look like my hair has been done by the dominicans. I too have learnt to use very little product. The doobie pictures have oil sheen, next time I will try it without.

tricie

Bumping this thread...this is great info for newly naturals and those who are afraid of salon temperatures! :grin:

And subscribing...

hiswill4me

There is a GREAT website to purchase the dominican hair products roundbrushhair.com you can also call them and get advice based on your hair needs.

lana

I just cannot use a round brush on my texlaxed hair without major breakage and damage. But I like the other suggestions about how to wash and get the best set. Makes me want to give Rollersetting another try.

Right now I use the tensions method to blowdry. I detangle the hair and section by section I pull it taut and then just gently blow it dry on the lowest heat setting. This way I don't have heat damage. I also set my flat iron on the lowest temperature for my hair and I avoid clamping down on the ends (the most fragile part of our hair). I'm retaining length. So I think it's working.

NJoy

Here I grow again!
They use a round brush and a blow dryer (hot, but not too hot). For the roots only, they just use the brush and blow dryer on the roots. For the roots and the length of the hair, they use the brush and blow dryer on all of the hair (of course, while turning the brush round-n-round). The blow dryer is usually held a few inches away from the brush.

What the?! :shocked: Girl, quit playin! Those blowdryers have one setting: "Hot as hayl"! Folks ducking and wincing. Neck and ears all crispy. :lachen: If the results weren't so good, I don't think anyone would subject themselves to that madness. :nono: BUT, the results are FABULOUS!!! :yep:

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Smh, It's better to do it yourself at home. They use WAY too much heat at the salon. I swear, I have permanent thinning on my crown from all that heat.