Does washing your hair often cause your scalp to itch?

Geminigirl

My scalp has been itching sooo bad. I don't have any dandruff but it itches like the dickens.(that's what my mom says lol i'm not sure what it means) Anyways I cowash pretty frequently atleast everyother day. When I pre poo/DC there are always oil in it. I massage and apply oil to my hair to seal in moisture.

I just got some Vatika oil and have been applying that to my scalp and it def helps although last night I DC and cowashed and my scalp was itchy again. I applied the oil to my scalp and I am fine again now but I feel some itchies coming on.

At first I though my head was itching so bad cause it was growing. After research I realized that's not true. What can I do to get my scalp under control cause my head is on FIRE.

Also I have been puttin TTO and PO in my DC to try and help with intching and any fungus or whatever is going up there but it still itches.

Platinum

You made need to change your shampoo or condish. There may be something in the ingredients that may not agree with your scalp.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My scalp has been itching sooo bad. I don't have any dandruff but it itches like the dickens.(that's what my mom says lol i'm not sure what it means) Anyways I cowash pretty frequently atleast everyother day. When I pre poo/DC there are always oil in it. I massage and apply oil to my hair to seal in moisture.

I just got some Vatika oil and have been applying that to my scalp and it def helps although last night I DC and cowashed and my scalp was itchy again. I applied the oil to my scalp and I am fine again now but I feel some itchies coming on.

At first I though my head was itching so bad cause it was growing. After research I realized that's not true. What can I do to get my scalp under control cause my head is on FIRE.

Also I have been puttin TTO and PO in my DC to try and help with intching and any fungus or whatever is going up there but it still itches.

What Are You Co-Washing with? And when is the last time you Clarified your Hair to remove any Potential Build-up?:ohwell:

Geminigirl

Well last night I did the baking soda and water because since going natural I have been trying to avoid poos. I read that I might need to clarify so I did the baking soda wash. Still itchy.

I cowash with VO5 don't tell me I will have to give it up. I have so much condish but lately I have been sticking to Vo5 Passion fruit I believe.

DC I usually just mix things that i want to use up and then put some oil in it and slap it on.

tocktick

Make sure the conditioner is only going onto your hair and not your scalp. That could potentially cause problems with itchiness. Also co-washing regularly doesn't equal a clean scalp. What are you using to clean your scalp (ACV, shampoo, baking soda etc)? Baking soda doesn't do ish for me and ACV only works if I apply it undiluted to my scalp with q-tips. Instead, I just use Sulfar 8 shampoo.

I suggest you create an oil blend with something like peppermint, tea tree and jojoba oil to apply to your scalp once or twice a week. ORS tea tree grease helped me when I first went natural but it has mineral oil in it so I stopped based on what I heard on hair boards. You could also up your intake of zinc, healthy fats and b-vits.

Last edited:

Ronnieaj

When my head itches, it's a sign that it needs shampoo. I shampoo my hair once a week, but if I do more than 2 cowashes in a week, it will start to itch. I shampoo every Saturday as a result.

krissyprissy

I find that co-washing makes my scalp itch. I believe it was leaving a film on my scalp. For that reason I no longer co-wash often anymore.

Geminigirl

Im scared but I might use my ORS Creamy Aloe poo and Shampoo today. Is this a good poo to use? I also have hard water.

tocktick

If I was making up a mix, I'd probably put about 1/2 a glass of jojoba oil in a spray or applicator bottle then add about 4-6 drops of each essential oil. You do not need a lot of EO to feel the effect.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I cowash with VO5 don't tell me I will have to give it up. I have so much condish but lately I have been sticking to Vo5 Passion fruit I believe.

Awww. I Wouldn't.:nono: I agree with the other poster.

Make a mixture of TTO & PO and maybe some Rosemary and Apply Directly to scalp. (Instead of adding it to your products).

Desarae

That ORS creamy aloe will remove build up if that's the problem.

I've noticed that if I co wash too much, or let conditioner dry on my scalp, it itches like crazy! I was gonna say it might be dry scalp but you use oil in your conditioners and you don't use shampoo too often.

You'll be surprised how good your hair feels after a good shampoo and DC. Don't be scurred!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Great I have rosemary too. I will make this tonight and apply to my scalp when I wash later. THANKS!

Girl, I am using this Pre-Poo Scalp Treatment from Phyto. They call it a $38.00 Botanical Pre-Poo Scalp Treatment. I Got it B&BW's Phyto Sale for about $6.00.

Chile' all it is: TTO, PO and Rosemary. I put it on my scalp with a Baggy for about 30 minutes before I Co-Wash. My Scalp is 100% Better.:yep:

I also have TTO & PPO From the Health Food Store too.

Geminigirl

OK see after I cowash I put condish on my hair as a leave-in and then put oil on top.(My hair is really soft and it even defines my coils some) I was kinda try to do something like what I seen on tightlycurly.com.(leaving the condish on the hair) Maybe it has built up and is causing me to itch.

I will try this oil treatment before I poo and condtion. Thanks I hope this works. I might go do it right now..Shoot I'm not doing nothing else. I need to see if my mom has another applicator bottle lying around first. If not do they sell them at the Dollar Tree?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I need to see if my mom has another applicator bottle lying around first. If not do they sell them at the Dollar Tree?

I Know they have them at Sally's (all sizes) pretty Cheap. Even the little ones like 2 oz. You won't need that much for a large applicator bottle. (Not really sure about the Dollar Stores):perplexed

You will be amazed at how well it works directly on your scalp. Start applying each time you get ready to Co-Wash. That's what I've been doing. No more "itchy", "sore", "dry" scalp.:nono:

Geminigirl

cool and my sister has a card so we are going hit up both places. I need more condish too, from the dollar tree.

One last question should I apply the oils to my scalp as is or should I wash and then apply it? Will it be able to penetrate if I have build up? DO i still need to poo? Ok that's more than one but oh well...

Liege4421

If you have changed your poo and conditioner, I would see a dermatologist. You may have eczema. I have eczema, but I've found that using an ACV rinse really helps combat the itching. I use it once a week

Geminigirl

I have been using new products I suppose.

Just got back from Sally's lady was watching us like a hawk. Me, My sister and my MOM. And I surely said something to her old wrinkled self too. And I will be writing them an email and I won't be back to that Sally's Anyways Bout to make the oils and apply to my scalp and let sit while I write my email and then continue with my wash.

I got V05 clarifying condish is this a good condish? how do I use it?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I have been using new products I suppose.

Just got back from Sally's lady was watching us like a hawk. Me, My sister and my MOM. And I surely said something to her old wrinkled self too. And I will be writing them an email and I won't be back to that Sally's Anyways Bout to make the oils and apply to my scalp and let sit while I write my email and then continue with my wash.

I got V05 clarifying condish is this a good condish? how do I use it?

Lemme Know How Your Scalp Feels Afterwards. It Should really feel good. I got like immediate "relief" when I applied mine before Co-washing.

I have not used the V05 Clarifying Conditioner. I Do Have a Clarifying Conditioner, But I always use it as a follow-up to the Clarifying Shampoo.

But with all products of a clarifying nature, please make sure you Put the Moisture Back into Your Hair. Clarifiers can be drying and stripping.

Make Sure You Deep Condition with Something Super Moisturizing or after clarifying, use your Moisture Milks or whatever V05 you are using to get that Moisture back into your hair.:yep:

Since You Co-Wash Often, I would Clarify at least twice a month to remove buildup.

remilaku

this used to happen to my mother and she found out she had a fungus on her head. Don't wash your hair before you go to bed. u need to let your hair fully dry before you sleep. She used to go to bed with her hair wet all of the time and the doctor gave her antifungle medician. the doctor told her it was from going to bed with her hair wet. that is why it was iching all of the time.

BostonMaria

I notice that if I do an overnight DC my scalp will be itchy for days. I like to pretend that's my hair growing LOL

blessedandlucky

thank God for the search feature. i cowashed with ao hsr for the first time ever a few days ago and have been clawing at my scalp ever since! i am almost 8 weeks post and i applied it pretty close to the scalp to soften the new growth (didn't work:( and this was probably the problem. i have at least an inch of new growth and i'm going to go ahead and relax..as soon as i stop scratching and allow the scalp to heal.