Scalp Itch - is this from washing more often???

naturalmanenyc

Over the last few weeks, since I started washing more often, my scalp has started to itch like crazy. I washed last night and am sitting here with severe itchies right now. I never had this problem until I started washing more frequently.

How can I stop the itching before I draw blood from scratching?

My stylist always used shampoo (Nioxin mostly) and I never had this itching problem. I wash with diluted Cream of Nature (green label).

Thanks!

Last edited:

naturalmanenyc

Are you co-washing or washing with shampoo? And how many times per week are you washing?

For March I washed:
3/2/2008
3/10/2008
3/14/2008
3/18/2008
3/26/2008
3/31/2008

I use diluted Cream of Nature (green label) with about half water & half shampoo.

PeggyFair

Oh, Okay, I used to wash more than that and I did not itch and I never diluted the shampoo. I have no idea what to tell you, I'm sure someone else can offer some suggestions.

froggie08

I feel the same way, I have started to co-wash more frequently and I too have noticed that my hair itches more. My hair doesn't itch badly, but it does itch/ irritate more than usually.

I don't have any suggestion, but I wanted you to know that your not alone.:look:

naturalmanenyc

I feel the same way, I have started to co-wash more frequently and I too have noticed that my hair itches more. My hair doesn't itch badly, but it does itch/ irritate more than usually.

I don't have any suggestion, but I wanted you to know that your not alone.:look:

Glad to know that cowashing is not the answer. lol lol

Nonie

For March I washed:
3/2/2008
3/10/2008
3/14/2008
3/18/2008
3/26/2008
3/31/2008

I use diluted Cream of Nature (green label) with about half water & half shampoo.

CON was the debil to me. The build up from it was out of this world, and it never left my scalp feeling clean. Actually when I first joined the forum, my mentor would suggest CON for the hair and Castille soap peppermint for the scalp. And the one time I didn't have Castille and use CON, I had to use another shampoo just to get my scalp to feel like it can breathe.

Do you do ACV rinses? I highly recommend them. I put about 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar in a basin of lukewarm water. Add 20 drops of rosemary EO and the same number of drops of lavender EO. Then I dunk my head in it and massage my scalp till the cows come home. This not only ensures no residue on my scalp but also improves my scalp's blood circulation.

Nonie

Your problem is I believe the same as Reg's: scalp build up. When I do CW, I never apply the conditioner to the bottom inch of my hair. Of course I can't completely prevent conditioner from touching my scalp, but I make an effort to minimize this. And then I rinse, rinse, rinse...massaging my scalp well. Then dunk my head in ACV and massage my scalp again till it's "squeaky" clean. How fresh my scalp feels and how happy my hair feels after that long soak in ACV.

pr3tty

I have the same problem and it just started also. I have been washing more often n itching like crazy

Nonie

My stylist always used shampoo (Nioxin mostly) and I never had this itching problem. I wash with diluted Cream of Nature (green label).

Thanks!

This further confirms what I was thinking: CON is to blame. (Sorry everyone that thinks CON can do no wrong.)

LongHairDreams

Over the last few weeks, since I started washing more often, my scalp has started to itch like crazy. I washed last night and am sitting here with severe itchies right now. I never had this problem until I started washing more frequently.

How can I stop the itching before I draw blood from scratching?

Thanks!

I itch after a co-wash but only with V05. Yesterday I used Tresemme Anti-Breakage and didn't experience that. I don't experience itch with my beloved CON. There must be something in there thats causing it. Have you alway used CON as a regular shampoo?

ultrasuede

It took me several years to figure this out, but my scalp hates conditioner. When I put conditioner on my hair for an extended period of time my scalp itches for four days after I wash it. I even wake up in the middle of the night scrathing my scalp. So I ususlly concentrate my conditioner on the length of my hair with minimal contact with the scalp area. Maybe your scalp doesn't like the particular shampoo you are using. Although my scalp hates just about any conditioner I use.

naturalmanenyc

I itch after a co-wash but only with V05. Yesterday I used Tresemme Anti-Breakage and didn't experience that. I don't experience itch with my beloved CON. There must be something in there thats causing it. Have you alway used CON as a regular shampoo?

No, I have all sorts of shampoos but just bought CON when I found LHCF. My stylist used nioxin, paul mitchell & nexxus products.

aloof one

My scalp has been itching something awful lately... I don't know what to do about it but I hope I find something. I don't even use CON anymore. I do put conditioner on my scalp though...

Do you put anything on your scalp after washing and conditioning? Could daily moisturizers be the problem? Should I just leave my scalp alone? I don't remember what I use to do when my scalp never itched but something I do now is making it burn.

Nonie

I haven't applied anything to my scalp since 1980 or thereabouts. I did apply oils when I was trying to regrow my bald spots but products make my scalp itch something awful. That's why I am anal about a final thorough rinse with ACV.

When I was first dared not to put anything on my scalp, I was horrified. I was sure I'd get dandruff and itch like crazy. I might've itched the first day I tried to go w/o applying anything to my scalp (withdrawal symptoms perhaps?), but after that, never again. The bonus was also that the acne I used to have also diminished, but it eventually completely cleared when I didn't have any hair products touching my face.

aloof one

I haven't applied anything to my scalp since 1980 or thereabouts. I did apply oils when I was trying to regrow my bald spots but products make my scalp itch something awful. That's why I am anal about a final thorough rinse with ACV.

When I was first dared not to put anything on my scalp, I was horrified. I was sure I'd get dandruff and itch like crazy. I might've itched the first day I tried to go w/o applying anything to my scalp (withdrawal symptoms perhaps?), but after that, never again. The bonus was also that the acne I used to have also diminished, but it eventually completely cleared when I didn't have any hair products touching my face.

I'm going to try this. Thank you:yep:

kweenameena

I get serious itchies after I wash whether with poo or a cowash. I don't even use CON. I switch up often. I even clarified because I thought it was a build up problem but it still itched like crazy. I don't know what's up

naturalmanenyc

I ended up putting olive oil cream on my scalp (like grease) and then pinned it up. So far the itches have stopped and that was around 4:45 p.m. - over 5 hours with no itches:grin: Maybe we do need "grease" on the scalp?

Cleve_gryl

I wash all week long (poo, cowash) and when I get the itchies, I think its because either my scalp is dry or its covered in buildup. So, yeah when you scratch do you have the filmy buildup under your nail? CON left a nice layer on my scalp. Me thinks its the products you use.

naturalmanenyc

I wash all week long (poo, cowash) and when I get the itchies, I think its because either my scalp is dry or its covered in buildup. So, yeah when you scratch do you have the filmy buildup under your nail? CON left a nice layer on my scalp. Me thinks its the products you use.

Nope, I never noticed product build up after scratching.

I am gonna stop washing every few days and see if the itchies stop. I will try washing once a week and see if that helps. Maybe it's just scalp irritation from all the manipulation when washing, roller setting & braiding? Does that even make sense? I know it's not itching from being dirty since I have washed so often in the last few weeks.

Mahalialee4

1. Could be "dry scalp" or
2. Could be due to buildup, leaving a thin film on the scalp or
3. Could be the "sulphates" in the shampoo or conditioner or
4. Could be the "agent" that acts as the "softener" in the conditioner or
5. It could be that you are not rinsing the conditioner off the scalp well or not clarifying from time to time or
6. It could be the "salts" in your water or the chlorine or from the hard water or
7. It could be "mites" or
8. It could be contact dermatitis from any additional product you are adding to your hair or

It could be all or none of the above. Hope this helps.

naturalmanenyc

1. Could be "dry scalp" or
2. Could be due to buildup, leaving a thin film on the scalp or
3. Could be the "sulphates" in the shampoo or conditioner or
4. Could be the "agent" that acts as the "softener" in the conditioner or
5. It could be that you are not rinsing the conditioner off the scalp well or not clarifying from time to time or
6. It could be the "salts" in your water or the chlorine or from the hard water or
7. It could be "mites" or
8. It could be contact dermatitis from any additional product you are adding to your hair or

It could be all or none of the above. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I will have to use DH's mechanic tips and use process of elimination over the next few washes.