Does this PREPOO makes any SENSE???

RODI

Today is my wash day. I will wash my hair this evening after I get home from work.

So in preparation..... this morning I worked through conditioner (Sauve) in my dry hair. Put it up in a clip and went to work. My hair has since dried with the conditioner in it.

When I get home I plan to put Amla oil in my hair on top of the conditioner that is already in. Maybe i will walk on my treadmill while the oil do its thing or if I'm too lazy I will sit under the dryer.

Then wash out, shampoo and DC as normal.

Does my "so called " pre poo regimen makes any sense? Am I getting any benefits after the con dries on my hair??? Right now it is very soft to the touch and feels very moisterized.

CenteredGirl

Soft and moisturized sounds likes it's working for you. overtime, you may find that phasing out the condish and concentrating on using prepoos will work. That's what I did. You don't want to over condish your hair.

Ladi, you have beautiful hair. Keep it growing gurl!

RODI

Soft and moisturized sounds likes it's working for you. overtime, you may find that phasing out the condish and concentrating on using prepoos will work. That's what I did. You don't want to over condish your hair.

Ladi, you have beautiful hair. Keep it growing gurl!

Thank you for the compliment. You got me smiling.

I thought anything before a shampoo was considered a pre-poo. So what am I doing all day with this conditioner in my hair???? Not pre-pooing???? :perplexed The only reason I did not add the oil this morning was because I did not want to risk it running down my face on the job and looking like a greasy pork chop.

CenteredGirl

Thank you for the compliment. You got me smiling.

I thought anything before a shampoo was considered a pre-poo. So what am I doing all day with this conditioner in my hair???? Not pre-pooing???? :perplexed The only reason I did not add the oil this morning was because I did not want to risk it running down my face on the job and looking like a greasy pork chop.

Technically speaking, yes you are conditioning your hair all day. If you have got plastic over your head, the heat from your head is opening the hair cuticles and condioning your hair. Actually deep conditioning because it's going inside the cuticle.

An oil prepoo is mainly for hair that is in good condition IMHO. Here you are overlaying the oil to well conditioned hair to PROTECT it from shampoo stripping the natural oils from your hair.

About the running down the face. If you mix 6oz oil with 1 T of beeswax, you get a thicker oil treatment. Mine runds down my face every now again, but hey, the price of bootiful hair.

Lady Esquire

Technically speaking, yes you are conditioning your hair all day. If you have got plastic over your head, the heat from your head is opening the hair cuticles and condioning your hair. Actually deep conditioning because it's going inside the cuticle.

An oil prepoo is mainly for hair that is in good condition IMHO. Here you are overlaying the oil to well conditioned hair to PROTECT it from shampoo stripping the natural oils from your hair.

About the running down the face. If you mix 6oz oil with 1 T of beeswax, you get a thicker oil treatment. Mine runds down my face every now again, but hey, the price of bootiful hair.

I agree completely w/CenteredGirl. You get the ultimate results if you were to sit under the dryer, w/a cap, supposedly heat helps it penetrate hair shaft better. However, I have done what you did, and it is an effective prepoo as well. Sometimes if I feel like the dried condish is not enough, I apply some oil right before I am about to shampoo, especially to ends or NG, as extra protection against harsh detergents (which is the basic premise here anyway).

Tenacious

Sounds really rich... But IDK about the beeswax. I used a fingertip on my edges and took forever to wash it out... I also ended up with bumps on my hairline from using beeswax, in addition to my ends still feeling...er....sticky.

The pre-poo sounds nice, nothing else needs to be added. It's just going to be washed out later on and it's serving its purpose. Adding more oils would just be putting more gunk in the hair. Just stick with conditioner and the Alma oil and your pre-poo should do good.

lovelychar

Greasy porkchop:lachen: Had to say something bout that one first.lol

So CG are you saying that when LADI put the conditioner in her hair and left it in all day that she was just conditioning and not pre pooing? I'm still lost even after your explanations. I figured that anything that you put in your hair (oil/conditioner) was considered pre pooing regardless if you did it over night, all day (like LADI), a few min. and or processed under the dryer just before? I get what your saying about the deep conditioning, but a sistah just need some clarification on the later.Sorry for the slowness.

CenteredGirl

My definition of pre-pooing is to take protective measure to ensure your hair does not get stripped during the shampoo phase.

Some use DC, some add oils to DC some use oils exclusively. However, my take is that if you pre poo with DC using a plastic cap, you are in essence pre-deep conditioning your hair prior to shampoo.

If this works for your hair, then, that's your prepoo. I myself did that for awhile until my hair got too mushy, then I moved to adding oils to DC now I only use oils and butters.

It's confusing. At the end of the day it's about knowing what your hair NEEDS and finding a prepoo that gives it that.

Sorry if I can't be more clear.

CenteredGirl

Sounds really rich... But IDK about the beeswax. I used a fingertip on my edges and took forever to wash it out... I also ended up with bumps on my hairline from using beeswax, in addition to my ends still feeling...er....sticky.

The pre-poo sounds nice, nothing else needs to be added. It's just going to be washed out later on and it's serving its purpose. Adding more oils would just be putting more gunk in the hair. Just stick with conditioner and the Alma oil and your pre-poo should do good.

Adding a bit of shaved beesway (it comes in a block or shaved bits) gives your oils a heavier consitency like vaseline (after it cools overnight). I don't use shampoo but baking soda and water and it does a great job de-greasing my hair and leaving my hair soft and cuticle intact.

SouthernTease

I did something similar to this and
my hair is really dry and hard but I
know when I get home and do my ACV
is will be soft... only IDK if it's good to
have my hair feeling hard and dry like this
all day... I'm probably not going to try
this again...seems a bit risky but I used
Olive oil not conditioner... I think if your
hair doesn't feel dried out or hard...
it's a good idea... some conditioners
can be used as leave-ins and are really
good to use in the summer if you're on
the beach as an all day thing

Tenacious

IMO, I think finding a milder, organic shampoo is easier than doing the whole pre-poo process. I understand that you don't want the stripping and damage that occurs by using sulfates, but I think that those products could be best used in other ways (like sealants, moisturizers....etc). I could see using Olive or Alma oil pre-poo, but conditioner, honey, masks and other things? It just seems easier to switch shampoos to a milder, organic one or washing less often and keeping the scalp clean.

I used Burts Bees More Moisture and it smelled and cleaned my hair great w/o stripping. I heard Organix is good and using Baby Shampoos were very gentle on the hair. Pre-pooing hasn't made much of an impact on my hair, it just ended up costing me more product (=$$$) in the end. I still retain length w/o pre-poos, but that's just me.