Does this make sense?

Mufasa

Hello all,

Below are a list of steps to performing a perm - again. Does what listed below make any senee? I hope some of you don't get angry should you see your own words below

Does the procedure below make sense?

Kind Regards.

<ul type="square">
[*]BASE THE SCALP: Make sure the scalp and hairline all the way around is based heavily. Divide my hair into 4 sections only, these are the same sections what will be relaxed. I base each section in a criss cross pattern making sure I base as much as possible. If you are doing it right and thouroughly it should take about 45-60 minutes

[*]PROTECT HAIR THAT IS TO BE TEXTURIZED - Saturate the hair that is to be permed with S-CURL

[*]PREPARE THE PERM - mix a little olive oil in the perm and whip it in a non-metal bowl. This makes it more smooth and cuts down on smoothing time in the hair

[*]PROTECT ALREADY PROCESSED ENDS - Choices to use: Conditioner plus Olive Oil - OR - Infusium 23 Leave In Treatment plus Cholesterol. Saturate already permed hair with one of the choices listed above

[*]APPLY RELAXER TO THE HAIR - dont forget a strand test

[*]RINSE OUT THE RELAXER - Using Vitale's Revive Positive Conditioner prior to neutralization, helps eliminate all alkaline substances inside the hair shaft and thus prevent breakage problems due to poor neutralizing. Use the neutralizer that turns pink to let you know that the product is still active in the hair. Keep washing the hair until no more pink is seen. The neutralizing shampoo must be in contact with the hair for at ** least 5 minutes ** regardless of how many soapings you do. It takes at least that long for the active ingredients in the neutralizer to penetrate all three layers of the hair shaft and bring the pH of the hair down to normal.

[*]USING ACV - Use Apple Cider Vinegar rinse (with distilled water) to neutralize the perm further - saw this somewhere to supposedly neutralize the affects of the perm A rinse of 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar diluted in 1 to 1 1/2 cups water is also a great and safe way to neutralize the alkalinity of a relaxer.

[*]CLARIFY - After you rinse the neutralizing shampoo you need to soap it briefly with the a clarifying shampoo. This will get all of the residue from the relaxer off of your cuticle.

[*]RECONSTRUCTOR - Put in 2-minute Reconstructor (from Aphogee) - then rinse

[*]CONDITONER - If you are doing your hair in parts, after processing one area (using steps above), put on conditioner and then clip away - after all hair is done, rinse thoroughly

[*]DEEP CONDITIONER - apply a deep conditioner with hair NOT WITH A LOT OF HEAT - but just a warm deep conditioner - also put in a little Aloe vera oil or aloe vera gel in the deep conditioner to smooth burns and promote healing of the scalp.

[*]GOOD RECONSTRUCTOR 5 DAYS LATER - After 5 days, wash hair, condition, apply a good reconstructor, rinse, apply deep conditioner. I would use Aphogee

[/list]

Mufasa

Hello again,

I suppose that this would not apply to an Affirm relaxer. I was unable to locate an online store that would sell it
Also, going to
now.

Kind Regards

sweetcocoa

I don't see why anyone would be offended.
I think this is a personal preference to how that person likes to relax. I do what is working for me.
I do believe in basing thorughly. And I also believe it the ACV/disitlled water rinse (I wouldn't use as much as you posted...more like about 1/4 cup to 1 quart of water).
I know some ladies mix oil with their relaxer(I haven't done it enough to know how it works) and they like the results.
I don't know about the aloe vear gel to sooth the burns...because if you base properly and don't apply the relaxer to the scalp, you shouldn't have any burns at all...not even a little.
I used a protein condioner followed by a moisturizing one after I relaxed.
I also believe in shampooing at least 3 days later with the nuetralzing shampoo.
When ladies post their relaxer methods...this is what they found works for them...just like any other routine posted here. I pick out the things I think will work with my hair...because I KNOW my hair. If I try something that does not work the way I want it to...I don't do it again. Most of the time if you use common sense, you shouldn't have any problems.
...ALWAYS do your homework especially when you are not sure.

lunalight7

I wonder about a strong protein immediately after the relaxer...my hair likes it better when moisture is added. If protein, then a creamy light one like Keraphix or Salerm Silk...but different bells ring in different churches, so if your hair responds well then good luck. I dont think the aloe vera is necessary either if basing is as thorough as you posted...happy hair straightening!

Mufasa

Hello and thank you for responding

Sweetcocoa, you mentioned that you use a protien conditioner followed by a moisturizing one. Is it a light protien conditioner (as mentioned by lunalight)? Also, do you protect the hair that is to be "permed"?

I am just doing research now. What was written above was gathered from many areas

Mufasa

Spagirl

I always thought acv rinse were used after all of the conditionings due to it's ablity to close the cuticle(or shaft) of the hair and thus locking in the conditioners to optimize the benefits of the conditioners....anyone have any insight on this matter...thanx

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I think that the ACV rinse would wash away the conditioner, depending on the strength of the solution. If it was extremely diluted, I believe that it would work in the manner that you're suggesting. I don't often use it that way though.

Spagirl

Thanxs for the 411...I guess I was thinking that acv made the cuticle lay down and thus hindered anything much from getting in...my dad always said two head are better than one...thanx again

sweetcocoa

[ QUOTE ]
Hello and thank you for responding

Sweetcocoa, you mentioned that you use a protien conditioner followed by a moisturizing one. Is it a light protien conditioner (as mentioned by lunalight)? Also, do you protect the hair that is to be "permed"?

I am just doing research now. What was written above was gathered from many areas

Mufasa

[/ QUOTE ]
When I did the relaxer(Motions) I used the CPR(which is a mild protein to me) followed by the Moisture Plus Conditioner. I just started using proteins again recently. Before I came online I used one everytime I shampooed...I didn't know you shouldn't do that...which would explain some of the problems I was having with my hair....among others.

CurlyCrly

[ QUOTE ]
Thanxs for the 411...I guess I was thinking that acv made the cuticle lay down and thus hindered anything much from getting in...my dad always said two head are better than one...thanx again

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I use heat to deep condition....to open the cuticle back up.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why I use heat to deep condition....to open the cuticle back up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow curly curly, you sure know your stuff. I think I'm getting a better understanding on using acv. It's been in my cabinet for awhile now because I didn't have the confidence to use it (pj).

One last qustion, what ratio do you reccommend to dilute the acv...my hair is kind of on the dry side. I think this is d/t (due to) my hair being relaxed and from wearing braid outs for over a month now.

Any additional help/advice that you are willing or have the time to give would be greatly appreciated.

Newbie in the mix.

Peace

CurlyCrly

spagirl, I usually use 1 - 2 tablespoons or 1/4 cup of acv and pour it into a 1 quart container,then I fill the rest up with water. If I am using it as a rinse, I will use the lesser amount. If I am clarifying, I will use more. I have used as much as 1/2 cup of ACV in the past, but the norm for me is 1/4 cup. I feel like I need more ACV in the mix when I have a lot of stuff in my hair.

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
spagirl, I usually use 1 - 2 tablespoons or 1/4 cup of acv and pour it into a 1 quart container,then I fill the rest up with water. If I am using it as a rinse, I will use the lesser amount. If I am clarifying, I will use more. I have used as much as 1/2 cup of ACV in the past, but the norm for me is 1/4 cup. I feel like I need more ACV in the mix when I have a lot of stuff in my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanx CurlyCrly for the 411 and in a timely manner to boot...I'm on my way to the shower now with my ACV mix in hand.

azul11

wait i'm confused? why would you close the cuticle only to open it up again?
God bless you all.

CurlyCrly

The closing of the cuticle is a result of using the ACV to clarify. ACV is less harsh on my hair than clarifying shampoos and I don't care for clarifying conditioners either.

Princess_J

[ QUOTE ]
Hello again,

I suppose that this would not apply to an Affirm relaxer. I was unable to locate an online store that would sell it
Also, going to
now.

Kind Regards

[/ QUOTE ]

you can purchase affirm relaxers and other affirm products online at www.sheldeez.com

I hope that helps