Does it make any sense to deep condition b4 wash?

Due to time constraints, ive found it much easier to dc before i wash my hair, leave it in maybe an hour then shampoo , then do a 3 minute conditioning after washing, does anyone else do this? Does it work or not make any sense lol? It seems to work the same way as I used to do it after washing:perplexed

Nonie

Well, some reconstructors like Emergencée require that you shampoo the hair after using them. I use it to DC so I do shampoo afterwards. *shrug*

LaidBak

I was doing a prepoo deep conditioning for a while. I used to lose a lot of hair on wash day and conditioning before and after (I think its refered to on here as CWC) really seemed to help. I still do it, but not for as long a period of time, maybe 5 - 10 minutes before I shampoo.

sydwrites

Sure it makes sense. I do it all the time, it helps your make sure the shampoo doesnt strip your hair too much, but you still get a good scalp cleansing.

Last edited:
Sure it makes sense. I do it all the time, it helps your make sure the shampoo doesnt strip your hair too much, but you still get a good scalp cleansing.
Yea,this is my main concern about it,, that im just washing out all the con i just put in but i think it really preps the hair for a good wash because if its well mositurized b4 the wash if your careful not to go overboard it should still be well moisturized but if your stating out with straw hair and washing that, BIG MISTAKE LOL, i just wonder if i should be deep conditioning for mayeb longer afterwards. I guess im just paranoid.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
To me it dosn't make sense but I'm all for dc'ing before shampooing on dry hair though. I feel better about doing it if I don't use a sulfate poo after I dc because I feel the sulfates are taking all the moisture out that I just put in which is actually what sulfates do. When I dc this way I will only co-wash after or use a sulfate free poo (preferably my shampoo bar). I feel like I'm keeping my moisture in this way. I don't want to waste my time dc'ing only to strip it all out. This is only my theory though.

lollyoo

I do it, deep condition on dry hair and wash and condition. but mainly because I dont like getting in an out of shower.
Love it, but you use more conditioner as dry hair is thirsty

gorgeous86

Due to time constraints, ive found it much easier to dc before i wash my hair, leave it in maybe an hour then shampoo , then do a 3 minute conditioning after washing, does anyone else do this? Does it work or not make any sense lol? It seems to work the same way as I used to do it after washing:perplexed

This is exactly what I do. :yep: I dc w/ Aubrey Organics HSR w/ a plastic cap before I shower, then shampoo or cowash. If I shampoo I use ORS Replenishing Conditioner as an instant conditioner and i'm good to go.

Fine 4s

I'm not completely sold on doing this YET. However I have done it....

When I first started my journey, I followed what a board member did which was to pre-poo, rinse, wash with condish, rinse, DC (on wet hair) etc. As my hair got longer I enjoyed the process less and less and looked for short cuts. This is when I found DC-ing on dry hair. For the past few months I've gone back to DC-ing on wet hair (and now can't wait to steam treat it) only because I haven't seen as much improvement as when I first started to care for my hair. No real reason *shrug*