Do you see naturals with beautiful, thick hair - in real life?

Napp

Ms. Nobody
There is a girl with a massive fro who is in my class. Her hair is beautiful but it sucks because she likes to sit up front and it obstructs my view. :eek:(

luckiestdestiny

Besides when I look in the mirror...in NYC they are everywhere. Now when you're talking length, there are less but again our shrinkage can be amazing so there may be more long hair naturals than I've seen but I have seen on point twa's and wash and gos, and one of the heads at Tisch at NYU is a natural with locks that awe awe inspiring dropping past her calves. And they are thick, luscious and on point (some locks are not especially when they get this long). So yes it's all around.

Oh and I've seen a few in my building lately (I recommended this place in a previous thread and got a few pms with questions asking about location and how to get in touch with the manager as I was not putting that information online. I would not be surprised if they were Nikos cousins because these amazing long haired naturals showed up out of no where in the building. Where there was one...usually me, there became three others out of no where). I'm sure they want to ask it too...I know they want to as we catch eyes in the elevator and smile....are you Nikos cousin?:lol:

Last edited:

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Yes, i live in Washington DC area and we rock and show our hair.

We sure do! I loved taking the metro back in the day and checking out the naturals. I've been natural almost all my life and when I relaxed, I was not bone straight and wore a "natural look".

Anyhow, I always felt comfortable in this area without bone straight hair. I can say I've started to wear my hair out (and big) more in the last 5 years - prior to then, it was only buns and updos or if it was out, I'd gotten a flat iron or blow out.

NikkiQ

No one in real life inspired me to go natural. One of my sisters was natural,but she kept flip flopping between BCing down to an inch and then relaxing the minute it got a bit longer so that wasn't necessarily a positive influence on me :lol: My best friend however is natural and would always wear her hair straight. I've actually inspired her to embrace her curl. She texts me and asks me questions. She tells me all the time how proud of me she is for sticking it out no matter how much negative feedback I got while transitioning (and Lord knows I got a lot! :nono: )

As far as seeing natural hair...no. I mean back in New Orleans I would see REAL natural hair (not weaves or wigs) every blue moon, but nothing to write home about. Out here in Puerto Rico is a whole other story. You would think they would embrace their gorgeous curls and rock em all day everyday,but they don't! I've been out here almost a year and rarely see any with their natural curls. They all get BKTs and flat iron their poor hair to death. Ends fried to no end. Sad :nono:

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I don't, but there are hardly any brown folks where I am to begin with. On the occasion I see another brown girl, they're braided up or relaxed and between nl and sl.

Last edited:

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I didn't have real life-inspirations, but everyday, I see gorgeous hair walking down the street. I'm in NYC; I think I see a nice balance of chewed up monstrosities and beautiful natural hair daily.

Brwnbeauti

I'm a high school teacher in the South and I saw a junior walking the halls with a twa this past week. I'm not natural but I found a lot of pleasure in this. It appeared to be properly moisturized. She had one side held back by a goody comb.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

LaBelleLL

1) Who has inspired your natural hair journey in real life, where did you see them and how did they have their hair?
I have been natural my entire life. My mother loved our hair and never considered perming it. She also grew up in Haiti at a time when mostly all of the girls and young women kept their hair in its natural state. Today, things are very different. I was inspired to learn to take better care of my hair after having lived abroad and returning home to see my mom cry when she saw my hair. It was damaged and thin from the hard water, malnutrition and having taken several different medications for two years.

2)Do you see naturals with beautiful, thick, healthy hair?

No, I do not see many naturals with beautiful, think, healthy hair around me. If anything, I think many of the black women around me are hiding their hair under weaves. I'm a city where weave-wearing in very common. Even me, I constantly hide my hair since life has pretty much taken over these last 2.5 years. It's usually in twists and tied into a bun or tied back into a bun. Things will dramatically change once I am done with school and out in the real world.

pearcey

I live in Atlanta and I see beautiful natural hair all the time!! Certain areas I see it more than others.

Most of my natural hair inspirations at the time I went natural was from here and YT. It wasn't until I was about a year into my hcj that I started noticing more women with beautiful natural hair wearing beautiful, creative styles.

Great free form hair. I wish i saw more, as this is my only style...

1) Who has inspired your natural hair journey in real life, where did you see them and how did they have their hair? My cousins and my mom are natural; so they totally supported me. Also, seeing other women online and throughout our country gave me much inspiration. I'm a free-spirit; yet, I didn't feel right claiming that part as I was so tied to something that wasn't necessary for me. I see some naturals that press their hair; however, I mostly see those wearing their curls.

2)Do you see naturals with beautiful, thick, healthy hair? Oh yes! It's awesome to me.

discodumpling

Sometime in 2006 I took a trip home to my island of Antigua. I saw my cousin with a headfull of beyond waistlength bouncy sunkissed mini twists. Our parents are full siblings I reasoned that my hair could and should look like hers:nono: girl I still ain't there yet!

My hair has it's moments. Most times I simply let her do what the heck she wants to do. Other times i'll wear a pony/bunny tail for weeks on end!

I see naturals with pretty hair all the time IRL.It's kinda all "just hair" to me at this point in my journey...not much makes me gush.

Atdow71

Sometime in 2006 I took a trip home to my island of Antigua. I saw my cousin with a headfull of beyond waistlength bouncy sunkissed mini twists. Our parents are full siblings I reasoned that my hair could and should look like hers:nono: girl I still ain't there yet!

My hair has it's moments. Most times I simply let her do what the heck she wants to do. Other times i'll wear a pony/bunny tail for weeks on end!

I see naturals with pretty hair all the time IRL.It's kinda all "just hair" to me at this point in my journey...not much makes me gush.

My family is from Antigua, Siblings & both parents.

niknakmac

I see alot more natural hair now than when I was natural. Seeing everyone's hair is actually making me fall in love with it all over again and thinking about doing a bc. I also see alot of flat iron naturals here and their hair looks really healthy so I say hair care overall is definitely improving.

leiah

I saw plenty in ny. Now I'm in Florida and everyone has awful wigs and weaves or they don't even bother and just throw on a satin bonnet

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
1. No one inspired my natural journey in real life. I saw beautiful heads of natural hair here on this forum and on YouTube and wanted my hair to look like that. My HJ with processed hair was a fun, learning experience and my hair grew and flourished. I was sure I could get the same result, with my natural hair, with the knowledge I picked up here.

2. I do see some ladies with natural hair. It's usually in locs/loc extensions or twists pinned up or under braids so I never actually see their hair in all its glory to tell if it is healthy and thick.

nysister

Hi ladies, just looking for encouragement today. I'm transitioning and wearing twist outs and flat twist outs. I would love to hear your stories, so when you are at the mall, grocery store, work, or anywhere else - Do you see naturals with beautiful, thick, healthy hair?

1) Who has inspired your natural hair journey in real life, where did you see them and how did they have their hair?

2)Do you see naturals with beautiful, thick, healthy hair?

1) This hair board. Anytime I'm discouraged I just look around the hair section and at some of my faves and I realize how much I've learned and how appreciative I am.

2) Mine! LOL :lol: Not trying to be arrogant, but while my hair isn't very long & how beautiful it is would depend on the beholder, but I can testify to it's thickness and health.

I don't live in an area with a lot of Black women, so I don't get to see others.

sheanu

1. I was the first one in my family to go natural before it became popular then went back with the perm after illness sort of of ruined my curl pattern. When I got healthy again I transitioned back to natural again just cuz I liked natural hair. Therefore, I can't say that anyone really inspired me but I NEVER liked relaxing my hair and always loved my hair the way it grew out of my scalp.

2. I'm in south Florida and while I occasionally see a nice head of natural hair, it's rarely styled well. Most people are suffering with a weave addiction down here. I think I saw the most naturals in my college campus. Out of a group of about 6 of us at a campus ministry meeting only one was relaxed. I did see this girl with a gorgeous natural high bun in power smoothie on Saturday though. She just about had me praying for some growth!

Blessed&higlyflavoured

yea when i look in the mirror....

(jokes)

but seriously, mostly its on children. Once you hit puberty, its like a rite of passage to get a terrible weave or a relaxer that you're not equipped to maintain. Its a little bit sad that black people in the uk associate being grown with straight hair. ( or locks if your getting to middle aged)

this is a very very very generalised view though

Jewell

No, I dont see nice naturals much here. Nor do I see much REAL, as in authentic long hair on black women here. Lots of weave, braids with extensions, or straightened naturals with short, thin-looking hair. I got a lot of attention when I was natural because ppl dont see healthy, thick, long natural hair much here. And i live near the largest, BEST bss in the entire state...and i still dont see them in there despite shopping there regularly. I get the side eye and stank eye a lot just cuz my hair is past bsl.

Its like ppl here think blk womens hair is supposed to be short. Even other races get excited over blk women with long hair here. I only decided to texlax because I got sick a few yrs ago after the birth of my daughter and didnt have the strength (literally) for 45 min detangling sessions, daily styling, etc. I loved my hair natural, and will likely transition again at some point; I loved it texlaxed too. For me it's mostly about health and retaining length than about the state (relaxed vs. natural). Ibpersonally love it all, locs too.

But coming from sc, a rural area at that, im used to the ignorance about blk women and natural or long hair. It really is sad. This lady behind me in line at the groc store last nite was looking at me with the stank eye likely cuz I had my hair down, freshly texlaxed hitting about WL in a nice braidout. Poor thing. Dont hate, congratulate. You can grow yours too, boo. Lmbo

Last edited:

ManeStreet

I live in the DMV and I see it all the time. Mainly at Busboys and Poets hahaha! But yeah, many of them have their hair in protective styles. Locs are also really popular around here.

Most of the girls I see with really big and full hair are heat trained naturals. All my best girlfriends here are natural too. One is a year into her transition and usually does PS. My other friend has longs down to her shoulders. gorgeous. My last friend has hair down to her waist that's totally natural (since 2004 I think) but she hates dealing with her hair and said she may loc it as well.

Really good inspiration and I wish I had that kind of patience.

We must frequent the same places because I see it everywhere too including busboys lol.

Most people in public arent sure if my hair is a weave or not because there arent many waist length & beyond ladies around.

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me

I've had to be my own inspiration. I've been natural for most of my life, and until recently, it was not considered a good thing. Back in the 80s/90s, I was the only person I knew who was natural and people were not liking it. Luckily, I'm a really self-possessed, confident person and told most people to bite me and continued to do me. It's really nice that the rest of the world is finally catching on and doing the right thing. :lol: :lol: :lol: J/K

Throughout the years, many women have asked me about my hair and how I maintained it, but the majority of those women also said that they weren't brave enough to take the plunge and give up the relaxer. I hope those women have been paying attention and have given it a try.

2) Do you see naturals with beautiful, thick, healthy hair?

Sadly, there are minimal black folks where I live so I don't get to see my beautiful natural sisters here. But when I go to Sacramento, San Fran, LA, Seattle, NYC, etc. I see lots of naturals doing their thing. And I LOVE it!