do you REALLY listen to reviews?

Zay-neey

I know i dont...atleast not anymore

Example: I bought eco styler gel wen i was newly natural because 95% of ppl liked it better than fantasia i.c gel. but then i tried fantasia recently...and i like it mucchhhhh better.

SO now wen i read a review.. i do not completely listen to it.
i will still try sumthin that got bad reviews,bcuz its something i want to try.

Ive tried too many things that got goood reviews and in the end i didnt like it.

So Do you really listen to reviews?

I don't because I've already found my staple products and I do not want to risk buying something that my hair will not like just because it worked for someone else. So I basically ignore all reviews.

^^Ditto what LaFemmeNaturelle said. If it ain't broke(n), I don't fix it. So I don't even open product review threads coz I'm not looking for anything to add to my regimen.

Last edited:
for the most part yes. but it depends. if most people said they hated the product but i know my hair loves the ingredients and the price isnt too high, i will purchase anyway.

I'm still looking for my staples so I do consider them. With so many products on the market I wouldn't really have much basis to try a product. I usually will pay more attention to a review the more detailed it is (hair type, previous issues), if I can see the persons hair and style, etc. I am very selective in what I will try.

After I find my staples I may not but it is useful for me right now while I am starting out.

I listen to reviews about 99% of the time when it comes to may wigs/weaves...For products I only listen if I am on the fence about whether or not to purchase something new

I listen to reviews to an extent. But I don't depend solely on them. I've been on the boards awhile now and realize that alot of the stuff everyone raves about does not work for my hair.

It depends. I am still working on my product reggie and really understanding what does or does not work for me.

I think reviews are helpful in areas you do not have a staple product. Like, you need a moisturizer and so far you haven't found one your hair likes or even one at all. So read the moisturizer reviews to get some ideas.

That is how I found some really great staple products.

The only down side of reading reviews, it adds to your PJ tendencies! :D lol

I know that certain products do well on my hair, but I'm always looking for the next best (and possibly cheaper) thing. I love trying new products and that will never change. That said, when a product gets several good reviews/mentions, it gets my attention, but one or two bad reviews won't deter me from trying it. I guess you could say I simply loosely interpret the review, based on what was said, my own knowledge of my hair, and the ingredients list. In the end, you never will really know until you try it though.

Yes I did when I first joined this site just to try things out. But from so many products not working for me and my hair I play it by ear now. I've become a pj to say the least bc of the positive reviews I've read and many of the products don't work for my hair. So I have learned a valuable lesson. Although it's good to read and research the product reviews whether it's hits or misses you have to go with what you feel might work. Every product review I've read in the past that was a pro does'nt necessarily mean it will work for all hair types. Everyone has special needs one way or another.

But frankly with my jumping on the bandwagon self it has cost me alot from my pocket! I've calmed down alot of buying and realize the best products for my hair seem to be dominincan and anything mostly with wheat germ added. So now I know.

I look at reviews not really because I want to see how something works on someone's hair (because everyone's hair is different), but it's nice to get a POV and see what the product smelled and felt like, ingredients (without me looking them up, lol), and to see if it did something extra good or bad. Like, if someone said, "This product made my hair fall out," I sure won't be using it! Not worth the risk!

I love product reviews. I know i don't need anymore products, but if someone had a good experience, I can't help but wonder if it will be even better than what i use. And everytime I say..."That's it! No more products!" I try something new and love it more than something else. So, it never ends. I'm a very curious person. sigh.

depends on who is giving the review. There are some lhcf ladies that I will take their advice flat out, everyone else I give a shrug and store the product away in my mental product file.

I sure do - I've found awesome products because of rave/good reviews. These are the same products I would've overlooked if it weren't for the reviews (especially from people with hair like mine).

I listen to my hair more though.

I'm a class A PJ, so yes I listen to reviews but I don't always believe what I read. The reality is, no matter what product you're reviewing there will be people singing it's praises and just as many thinking it's the worse thing they've ever encountered.

Oh YES, a lot of really amazing products that I've found, bought, and adored have been based off reading positive reviews and seeing at least what brands are available.

I didn't know anything about organic brands before I came to this board and now I'm semi-obsessived/in love with them.

Some reviews i do, but i tend to shut people out who rave about every single thing they try and use on their hair. I like reviews that give the positive and negative then i go from there to make my decision if i want to try it or not.

I enjoy reading all product reviews, and it doesn’t matter who they are, the state of their hair, or how long they’ve been a member of the site. I view all points of view and experiences uniformly as having equal merit.

I will read product reviews and take them into consideration base on whatever the circumstances are before trying...but I rarely let it influence my final decision...since joining LHCF the ingredients list determines on whether or not I buy, use and the frequency of use.

I read reviews and evaluate each product as fairly as possible. Reviews are culled from more than one source for the most part just to make sure I get an even consideration from different sides of the opinion. Negative reviews can reveal just as much as good reviews at times.

I've been reading reviews recently because I've been looking to replace my staples. These days ingredients and ability to moisturize hair play a big part in whether I will think about buying something or not. Once i find all the products I need I usually don't listen or read many reviews.

I usually buy products then look up reviews if I'm curious about other opinions. Sometimes I will buy a product if it's cheap and there are a bunch of negative reviews just to see whether or not they're based in fact. I have my own ingredients list that may/may not coincide with other people's lists.

Since I am new to my HHJ , I have no choice but to go by reviews for now . Honestly , without reviews I would be lost . There are sooooo many hair products out there that I would never know where to begin . But like others said , when I lock in a set regimen I will be fine . Me and my pockets have no intention on becoming a product junkie .

Yes!

I read reviews because I like knowing what the product does both the good and bad. I like having a array of people with different viewpoints give reviews. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to purchase. The reviews, combined with the ingredients, the reviewer himself or herself, and listening to what my hair needs is going to determine whether or not I'm going to purchase the item.

I always thoroughly research before I purchase.:yep:

Back