Do You Have to Protective Style Forever to Retain Your Length?

Do you have to protective style forever?

• Yes. I reached goal and I do PS.

Votes: 13 8.0%
  • Yes. I'm not at goal, but I likely will always PS.

Votes: 70 42.9%
  • No. I reached goal and I don't PS anymore.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • No. I'm not at goal, but I likely won't always PS.

Votes: 59 36.2%
  • I never really protective styled my hair.

Votes: 19 11.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jaxhair

Yes. I'm not at goal, but I likely will always PS.

My hair type, 4b,c, whatever (kinkiest of all, lol) will definitely only ever flourish when protectively styled, in my opinion, otherwise it'll just dry up and break off and I'm pretty sure I'd lose all the years and effort I'm putting into it in a year of complacency. I totally agree with Tock Tick, and I await with bated breath for my hair to get longer so the PSs will be without added hair and will look cuter. It's certainly getting easier with length at the moment, but then again, all I have is 6-7''. Can't wait till I have 12'' all round, then 24 and rock some uber cute updos like Sera. Darn it, her hair is cute! Occassionally, I'll wear it loose but those days will be far and in between.

chokolate miss

IMHO, I do not understand the point of growing hair to whatever goal length and then tucking it away ALL of the time.

I want to enjoy my hair. Heck, I worked hard to get it!

I am APL now (thank goodness), and my goal is BSL. I think any longer than that will be too much. However, I will wear protective styles for ease, not because I am afraid of losing hair.

Now if I notice that I am inching my way very close to NL or something of that nature, then I will return to nurture mode...

tocktick

IMHO, I do not understand the point of growing hair to whatever goal length and then tucking it away ALL of the time.

I used to think the same thing and wondered why people with long hair even bothered to PS. When I reached a little past APL and left my hair without PS'ing for 3 months, I changed my tune. I realised that protective styles need not be reduced to just twists, a simple bun etc once you've reached goal. I also suspect that for most who haven't reached goal yet, the idea of always leaving hair loose is better than the reality :look:.

I think that for any goal beyond BSL it would probably be more realistic for time management sake to protective style most days (for most people, imo). Leaving it all out everyday requires a quite bit of maintainance and manipulation, imo. Especially at night. If your hair is long and thick (and if you're natural or stretching), that's a lot of work. I could see myself keeping two long pocohantas braids or a chinese bun in my hair for 5-6 days of the week then having a hot braidout/twistout, wash 'n' go etc for the remaining 1-2 days. Traycee does beautiful protective styles that still allow you to show off how beautiful and healthy your hair is.

MizzBrown

I believe in it to nurse your hair to a certain length but once you have reached your hair goal and your hair is supposedly in a healthy state, I dont understand the need to keep doing it.

Is it really a styling option at that point or will you just not retain length without doing it?

Because if thats the case then your hair still isn't healthy. Healthy hair should be able to flow freely more than 50% of the time. I think something is STILL wrong with the state of your hair if you can't wear it down because it still sheds too much or you still get splits, still can't retain and always have to go back to the bun to protect it.

Sera

I think protective styling is very helpful & is necessary (at least for me anyways); however, I do think that you should also enjoy your hair & wear it out/down every now & then, especially once you have reached your hair goal.

melodies815

I PSed my daughter's hair all her life and she grew to WL as of July 2007. I cut her back to MBL because I slacked off a little in Britain...but she got there and stayed there easily with pretty styles.

I wonder why I never realized that's why her hair was so long. I thought she had the infamous "good hair." when really I just took better care of her and her hair than I ever did for myself or my own hair.

I will live with twist and braidouts and the beautiful Mwedzi buns for the rest of my life!!! Okaaayyyy...maybe a couple of times a year, I will get Sabinoed down for my DH :blush: but other than that...PS is a life move for me!

(I'm working on my Picasa album right now...)

cj

Tee

I have reached my goal and I still use protective styles. BUT, I don't wear them all the time.

I honestly believe to get from SL (Shoulder Length) to APL (Armpit Length) faster (retention) P.S. are a must. I use to wonder why my hair wouldn't grow past SL. Wearing it down all the time was holding me back.

panamoni

I have reached my goal and I still use protective styles. BUT, I don't wear them all the time.

I honestly believe to get from SL (Shoulder Length) to APL (Armpit Length) faster (retention) P.S. are a must. I use to wonder why my hair wouldn't grow past SL. Wearing it down all the time was holding me back.

I didn't want this to be my fate, but I do want to reach my goal, so I can learn to hack it, at least until I reach my goals.

ajoyfuljoy

I don't think it is necessary. We have heard of those who have breakage from wearing buns all the time too.

Black Hoya Chick

i'll continue to protective style. and it probably won't even be intentional. to keep my hair out of my face and to avoid playing in it all the time, i tend to just throw it in a bun. as it gets longer, it gets more annoying lol

Juliagizzle

I will most likely always use PS. I really like pinning my plaits or a french braid up with my goodie ouchless clip. It makes a cute style. I'm also rarely without a satin doo rag around the house. Even after I reach my goal, I would still do PS to protect my ends so they continue to look healthy. I am looking products that protect my hair when it is out. I'm looking more into silk peptide. I've read it helps protect and restore hair. I've been experimenting with it as a detangling spray I really do like wearing my hair down. It would be a waste to me to reach my goal and never get to show it off.

robot.

I'll chime in just because I feel inclined too, for some reason. :lol:

I don't plan to PS! Everrrrr. At least not intentionally - I would wear a puff or fro-hawk because it was cute before because it protects my ends. I want my hair to grow big before it grows down, that way I don't have to worry about it. :look:

fyb87

I know Protective Styling is important when you're trying to reach your hair goals. But do you always need to hide your hair to keep your ends from suffering?

Do you wear your hair out for special occasions only? Do you wear satin shirts to protect your ends?

Please post links if you know this has been discussed previously.

I don't really believe in Protective Styling per se. I've pretty much had long hair all my life. When I get bored I get it cut. So it has been in a chin length bob a few times and shoulder length, BSL, WL and TL. Just depends on my mood. I never even heard of Protective Styling until I joined these hair boards. So, of course I wasn't doing them and I don't now either. Now because most of the time I did have long hair and once I got in corporate america I would wear my hair in a ponytail or bun to work. But, it would be down at all other times. I really don't get the whole thing. To me if you keep your healthy, by using heat only once every two weeks (that's what I use to do when I straightened my hair) at the most and keep the chemicals down to a minimum (I would get relaxers twice a year, three times at the most) you shouldn't have to do Protective Styling. But, that is just my opinion.

I feel most of us are lazy when it comes to our hair and just go to the Beauty Salon for them to deal with it instead of learning how to do it ourselves (that was me when I was in my early twenties). Then we let them mistreat it because they are suppose to know what they are doing. When not all of them do. Sorry for going on....I said that to reiterate I don't think it's necesssary if you are doing right by your hair!

hillytmj

I don't really believe in Protective Styling per se. I've pretty much had long hair all my life. When I get bored I get it cut. So it has been in a chin length bob a few times and shoulder length, BSL, WL and TL. Just depends on my mood. I never even heard of Protective Styling until I joined these hair boards. So, of course I wasn't doing them and I don't now either. Now because most of the time I did have long hair and once I got in corporate america I would wear my hair in a ponytail or bun to work. But, it would be down at all other times. I really don't get the whole thing. To me if you keep your healthy, by using heat only once every two weeks (that's what I use to do when I straightened my hair) at the most and keep the chemicals down to a minimum (I would get relaxers twice a year, three times at the most) you shouldn't have to do Protective Styling. But, that is just my opinion.

I feel most of us are lazy when it comes to our hair and just go to the Beauty Salon for them to deal with it instead of learning how to do it ourselves (that was me when I was in my early twenties). Then we let them mistreat it because they are suppose to know what they are doing. When not all of them do. Sorry for going on....I said that to reiterate I don't think it's necesssary if you are doing right by your hair!

I think you make an interesting point, especially since you've already reached your goal. I never really PS'ed until recently because I'm trying to break a hair plateau. I did notice less of a need to trim when I protective styled, but I'm not sure why. I do know that once I reach my goal, I want to wear it out very often. I'd like to do that now, but I'm more interested in reaching MBL. :yep:

dcprdiva

I have never been a fan of protective styling. I keep my hair moisturized and DC consistently so I don't worry about it. My length is holding on.

Bluetopia

Cute pictures i found when I googled "protective style"

Lots of your images popped up too!

Oh - EM - GEE! I know her! That aint all her hair :look:

:lachen:

SmartyPants

I believe in it to nurse your hair to a certain length but once you have reached your hair goal and your hair is supposedly in a healthy state, I dont understand the need to keep doing it.

Is it really a styling option at that point or will you just not retain length without doing it?

Because if thats the case then your hair still isn't healthy. Healthy hair should be able to flow freely more than 50% of the time. I think something is STILL wrong with the state of your hair if you can't wear it down because it still sheds too much or you still get splits, still can't retain and always have to go back to the bun to protect it.

I disagree with this!!!

I'm fat and am on a fitness/weight loss mission. After I meet my weight/fitness goals, if I go back to the same practices that got me where I am now, I will eventually balloon back up. I see it as the same with my hair. Once I reach my length goals, I need to keep the practices that got me healthy hair or my hair will deteriorate.

Mystic

I never payed too much attention to PS but after being on this hair journey for so long w/out seeing any significant growth, it now looks like I have no choice but to join in the PS group. Hopefully, it will help me realize my goal length.

chokolate miss

I used to think the same thing and wondered why people with long hair even bothered to PS. When I reached a little past APL and left my hair without PS'ing for 3 months, I changed my tune. I realised that protective styles need not be reduced to just twists, a simple bun etc once you've reached goal. I also suspect that for most who haven't reached goal yet, the idea of always leaving hair loose is better than the reality :look:.

I think that for any goal beyond BSL it would probably be more realistic for time management sake to protective style most days (for most people, imo). Leaving it all out everyday requires a quite bit of maintainance and manipulation, imo. Especially at night. If your hair is long and thick (and if you're natural or stretching), that's a lot of work. I could see myself keeping two long pocohantas braids or a chinese bun in my hair for 5-6 days of the week then having a hot braidout/twistout, wash 'n' go etc for the remaining 1-2 days. Traycee does beautiful protective styles that still allow you to show off how beautiful and healthy your hair is.

I agree to a point. I would not wear them ALL of the time. At the moment I rollerset my hair. I do not comb until the next wash day nor do I use heat, direct or indirect (besides at relaxer touch-up). At night I moisturize and cover with a bonnet or scarf. It's not that time consuming at all. :yep:

There is another thread, an older one that addressed this question. The majority of the women answered that you do not HAVE to PS, but you will reach your goals much sooner if you do.

So I am with you. If a person chooses not to PS, they will have to make adjustments elsewhere, such a low/low-mani, no/low-heat, ect. However, variety is the spice of life! I have to change it up every now and again. Yes, I realize you can do this with PS as well...

vainღ♥♡jane

ღ♥♡honey chile♡♥ღ
i don't. my hair is not fine or fragile, and i know because i halfway take care of my hair now, and its fine. anyway, i think if someone has a solid regimen then their hair would be fine. and i guess there are some cute protective styles if the hair is fine.

lilsparkle825

i am only APL and sometimes when my hair is straightened i feel that i have to put my hair up to keep it out of my face or something...and like someone said, now i can do buns and the like, so why not? once i hit BSL+ i dream of wearing my hair down all the time, but more than likely i won't just out of habit. i'll let you know when i get there :lachen:

Lovestyr

I currently APL with my hair straightened and wear protective styles 90 percent of the time. I think wearing your hair up is very benficial...I also plan to keep utilizing protective styles for life. I only wear my hair down like straightned 3 times a year..so it doesnt bother me.

dlewis

I wear my hair in protective styles because I'm lazy when it comes to hair. And I don't want to be messing with hair all day when I wear it down. I have worn protective style since I was in college before I knew the offical term.

I prob will continue to wear them the rest of my life because it's easier for me.

I don't think it's mandatory to maintain longish hair but I'm sure it helps.

Kurlee

I wear my hair in protective styles because I'm lazy when it comes to hair. And I don't want to be messing with hair all day when I wear it down. I have worn protective style since I was in college before I knew the offical term.

I prob will continue to wear them the rest of my life because it's easier for me.

I don't think it's mandatory to maintain longish hair but I'm sure it helps.
:yep::yep:

rsmith

Two strand twist have been very helpful with retaining length for me. I think I will continue to wear them until I reach my goal.

joib

You don't have to but it is a good idea to incorporate it into your permanent reggie. At the point were you have reached your goal you need to maintain it.

SvelteVelvet

I went from SL to BSL wearing my hair out nearly all the time. Protective styling (bunning) meant stress to me and when I started on my hair care journey I wouldn't let a scrunchie or pin near my head and my hair strived in length, health and thickness.

As my hair got longer is when I started doing things like braidouts and bunning, as those styles looked better on me with longer hair, especially the buns. One of the things I look forward to as my hair gets longer is the buns and wearing my hair out less, just special occasions. Guess I'm backwards.