People Who Do Not Protective Style

that_1_grrrl

I really NEED your help. I am begging you here!

I am trying to gain and retain about 9 inches by this time next year for my bff's wedding (I'm a bridesmaid). I know it is hefty goal and realize that I may not even make it.

I would like to protective style but for now, my hair seems to hate braids and twists, and my hair is too short and thick for bunning.

So, I am going to try to make it through w/o protective styling until I can bun my hair.

What I need to know is how can I keep my ends in tip top shape?

I can't wait til others chime in.

I've learned that for ultimate retention, I need to protective style. My hair is ok when I don't, but when I do it's so much better.

Yep - I agree with my litle sis.

I grew my hair out VERY quickly in Braids. My hair was in the 'halle berry' cut of the nineties ( when she was not a star yet :giggle:)
Wow - I can't believe I had a halle berry cut!

In six months - the whole world changed!

What about doing cornrows or plaits and wigging it with a baggy. Or doing French braids one on each side of the head; the ends would be "hidden" and you could tuck the tail end under.

Aldrea has a few cute protective style. This one is my favorite:
http://haircare.aldrea.com/photos10.htm

...and what prompted me to try this one on my twists, although hers is so much prettier:
Mynewtwistupdo-vi.jpg

Here's the French braid idea I was talking about:
http://haircare.aldrea.com/photos12.htm

That is a nice site!

I cannot Flat twist.... or cornrow....

how tragic :cry:

What about doing cornrows or plaits and wigging it with a baggy. Or doing French braids one on each side of the head; the ends would be "hidden" and you could tuck the tail end under.

Aldrea has a few cute protective style. This one is my favorite:
http://haircare.aldrea.com/photos10.htm

...and what prompted me to try this one on my twists, although hers is so much prettier:
Mynewtwistupdo-vi.jpg

Here's the French braid idea I was talking about:
http://haircare.aldrea.com/photos12.htm

Whatever advice you get I'll be taking notes. I wish the puff counted as a protective style.

Whatever advice you get I'll be taking notes. I wish the puff counted as a protective style.

It can be protective if you covered your own puff with a baggy and a phony puff.

This was kinda a protective style because the ends of my twists were cornrowed together under the phony puff:
TwistandPhonyPuffCozySept2008-vi.jpg

That is a nice site!

I cannot Flat twist.... or cornrow....

how tragic :cry:

Lol, I can not flat twist, cornrow, or french braid. :lachen:

Well, from what the three of you are saying, I am going to have to find a way to make braids work for me.

I would really like to try french braiding. That is how my mother wears her hair mostly. A large braid would probably not cause as many problems.

How long can I keep french braids in? Can I co-wash with them in the hair?

It can be protective if you covered your own puff with a baggy and a phony puff.

This was kinda a protective style because the ends of my twists were cornrowed together under the phony puff:

Ooo, I like that. I really need to learn how to braid. My hair is several different lengths, what would you suggest I do with the shorter pieces?

Thanks for the idea! I can pull my hair into a puff and then do chunky twists and baggy. I'll bring my phony puff out of retirement. :yep:

I REALLY need to learn how to cornrow or flat twist.

Ooo, I like that. I really need to learn how to braid. My hair is several different lengths, what would you suggest I do with the shorter pieces?

I think cornrows would work best for shorter pieces. Cornrowing hair up to a point going back helps you get it to where the puff can cover the rest of your hair.

This was a phony puff:
ornrowsnoextensionwithCozyPuff-vi.jpg

I think when your hair is short doing a WNG or twists and twist-outs, braids and braid outs (ie minimal combing) might be the best way to "protect" your hair until it's long enough to incorporate other protective styles.

Wow this style is very lovely, I like it :grin:

I really NEED your help. I am begging you here!

I am trying to gain and retain about 9 inches by this time next year for my bff's wedding (I'm a bridesmaid). I know it is hefty goal and realize that I may not even make it.

I would like to protective style but for now, my hair seems to hate braids and twists, and my hair is too short and thick for bunning.

So, I am going to try to make it through w/o protective styling until I can bun my hair.

What I need to know is how can I keep my ends in tip top shape?

Hi rosie my hair does not like twists either, but i decided to try plaits and im loving them. I make about 8 plaits all over my head, they aren't as neat as i like them to be but its helping alot. I can co wash in them and wash in them. And it feels really good on the scalp. I redo them every 3 days and baggy in them at night to protect my ends. Do you like hair wraps?because that's what im doing right now with silk or satin to protective style with my plaits underneath. Detangling is easier and my hair is not knotting like it used to, whick i think this will help me retain as much length as possible. Sorry so long hth.

Hi rosie my hair does not like twists either, but i decided to try plaits and im loving them. I make about 8 plaits all over my head, they aren't as neat as i like them to be but its helping alot. I can co wash in them and wash in them. And it feels really good on the scalp. I redo them every 3 days and baggy in them at night to protect my ends. Do you like hair wraps?because that's what im doing right now with silk or satin to protective style with my plaits underneath. Detangling is easier and my hair is not knotting like it used to, whick i think this will help me retain as much length as possible. Sorry so long hth.

Thats just what i was thinking you could do. I think im going to try twist or braids with my own hair because i just hate having weave in my hair(so does my scalp:nono:).

Omg, it's funny you mention that because that is exactly what I decided to do. When I first went natural, I wore head wraps 24/7. So much so, in fact, that a lot of people I met thought I was Muslim.

I've decided to revisit the idea but with baggying! So, today, I put my hair in very large twists (easier on my ends), put my baggy on, then threw a hat on (it was cold anyway).

I honestly think this could work for me.

I do the same thing but under a wig. It's amazing for retention and it doesn't take much time.

I also use Nonie's method of baggying, which is just putting on a plastic cap with no product. Works like a charm.

Omg, it's funny you mention that because that is exactly what I decided to do. When I first went natural, I wore head wraps 24/7. So much so, in fact, that a lot of people I met thought I was Muslim.

I've decided to revisit the idea but with baggying! So, today, I put my hair in very large twists (easier on my ends), put my baggy on, then threw a hat on (it was cold anyway).

That's something I do a lot. I love hats and wraps so I wear them a lot and baggy underneath. It's an awesome way to practice a low mani regi. :yep:

That's something I do a lot. I love hats and wraps so I wear them a lot and baggy underneath. It's an awesome way to practice a low mani regi. :yep:

It really helped me out yesterday. My hair-in-hand disease wasn't so bad. I did not feel the need to play with my hair every 5 seconds. When I did feel the urge, I just took the time to redo my twists.

I don't wear protective styles either. I like to wear my hair out. I suggest that you keep your ends well moisturized maybe 2 times a day and don't manipulate your hair too much. Comb your hair only when it is wet. You can wear your own puff but just don't comb it ...only finger comb and moisturize moisturize moisturize. Try wearing a color or clear rinse too like jazzings which will provide a protective coating for the hair.

I thought about doing this...I just have a problem with hand in 'fro disease. I always want to be in my hair, whether it's oiling my scalp, massaging, twisting/untwisting...I haven't even made it a whole week with wraps, and I have a ton of fabric in my closet. I need to do better.

I can flat twist, but my problem is maintaining the style throughout the week. When I work out, I sweat A LOT from my head. The twists look so messy by day 2. Frustrating!

Good luck with your quest for protective styles...hopefully you'll be better at it than I am. :drunk:

I do the same thing but under a wig. It's amazing for retention and it doesn't take much time.

I also use Nonie's method of baggying, which is just putting on a plastic cap with no product. Works like a charm.
Hmmm...I may need to try this under my wraps. I usually always have some type of butter or moisturizer in my hair already...so are you saying you just don't add any extra?

Hi,
I would say try a half wig once you say up some $. That's what I did for quite awhile when my hair was shorter and still do today. It's great as a protective style too.

Hmmm...I may need to try this under my wraps. I usually always have some type of butter or moisturizer in my hair already...so are you saying you just don't add any extra?

Yep. When I'm in braids or twists, I don't use anything after washing my hair. I just wear my hair bare and then baggy every night. When wearing hats and wraps, I keep the baggy on (again no product on hair). Been doing this since 2001 (except for a few months when on joining the forum I tried the moisture moisture moisture rule and hated it)...and so far so good.

Back