Do bobby pins (ueded when rollersetting) damage hair?

blackbarbie

I have seen this question asked here but couldn't remember the consensus, but when I rollerset, I sometimes used the really big bobby pins to hold two or more rollers together if I am running out of the clamps (and sometimes b/c the bobby pins can get in places where the clamps can't). But do you think that since the bobby pins clamp so tight together, once you turn the heat on and sit under the dryer all that time, it will weaken your hair over time? I know I use the clamps (or whatever you call them) to sometimes hold a couple of rollers in place but they don't put as much tension on your hair.

I was just wondering what you ladies thought about the longterm use of bare bobby pins and if it really would have any effect on the hair when used in conjunction with all the heat.

***can one of the mods edit the title??? (that's supposed to be "used")

Isis

I prefer to use the duckbill clips when rollersetting since they are made for the rollers. Bobby pins would be too tight against the hair, IMO, and the hair would be more likely to rub against the metal edge.

For uses other than rollersetting (like updos or buns), someone posted in the past that bobby pins can break the hair, especially when the rounded ends pop off. I decided to buy Good Hair Days pins, which I continue to use.

BTW, you might be able to edit your title with the "Go Advanced" editing feature. I did that the other day. :)

asubeauty

I use the big bobby pins, and I do sometimes notice breakage when I wrap after my rollerset. I didn't connect that to the pins though.

I can't get the clamps to hold my rollers in. :ohwell: