Votes: 6 17.6%
  • I have used bobby pins and they have NOT caused damage

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stiletto_Diva

To combat single strand knots I've decided to wear my hair straight more often. I want to wear my hair in a bun in order to have my ends tucked away.

Instead of putting my hair in a ponytail I gather my hair together and bobby pin the sides to keep it in place. I then put the sock filler on like a ponytail holder, have my hair cover the sock, then put a ponytail holder over it to keep it in place.

My questions are:
-Would wearing bobby pins everyday break my hair?
-Has anyone received damage from bobby pins?
-Has anyone used bobby pins with success?

darlingdiva

To combat single strand knots I've decided to wear my hair straight more often. I want to wear my hair in a bun in order to have my ends tucked away.

Instead of putting my hair in a ponytail I gather my hair together and bobby pin the sides to keep it in place. I then put the sock filler on like a ponytail holder, have my hair cover the sock, then put a ponytail holder over it to keep it in place.

My questions are:
-Would wearing bobby pins everyday break my hair? I'd say no because I use bobby pins all the time w/out incurring breakage. I use them after I've braided my hair for the week & I use them to preserve my twistouts.
-Has anyone received damage from bobby pins? The only time I've ever incurred damage from bobby pins is when I used to use them after the metal coating at the tip came off. I know better now, so I NEVER use them after the metal coating comes off. I've also heard that the Goody Day pins are very good, so maybe you could try those.
-Has anyone used bobby pins with success? Yes, see question #1.

My answers appear after the bolded questions.

I use bobby pins all the time. However, I've found that I have to watch the tips carefully. The minute the tip starts to peel away I throw the pin out because I don't want it to snag or pull my hair. I rarely have that problem with the really long bobby pins just the small ones. That said, Sally's sells some hair pins that are similar to bobby pins. They're plastic instead of metal, larger in width, and hold my hair better. I think they're made by Good Hair Days and come 10 per pak. They're the best. Wish I could post a pic of them...

Mz.MoMo5235

bobby pins jacked up my ends.

when i 1st started bunning i was using a 2nd hair tie to secure my bun, which caused damage to my ends. because of that i switched to bobby pins, but that was still causing damage and when i would take the pins out there would be broken hair pinched between the metal.

then i switched to hair pins. havent had a problem since and to me they are much easier to use and wear.

cutenss

I don't like bobby pins. They always snag my hairr and take couple of strands with. So I switched to hairpins found at Sallys. I use the clear ones. Love 'em

Stiletto_Diva

Thanks everyone for sharing. I've been using bobby pins for the past few days with no known breakage. I might check out the good hair day pins since a lot of people rave about them.

Anybody else have an opinion about bobby pins

ladysaraii

I went from hair bands to bobby pins to hair pins. They work better, but I too watch the ends so they don't jack up my hair.

But I didn't have a real problem with bobby pins

Mz.MoMo5235

by the way... i dont use the good hair day ones... i use the old school cafeteria lady hair pins lmao like these

NikkiGirl

I have never had any damage from bobbi pins. Just make sure to buy the ones with the protective coating at the ends and if the coating comes off, throw it out.

Mz.MoMo5235

I have never had any damage from bobbi pins. Just make sure to buy the ones with the protective coating at the ends and if the coating comes off, throw it out.

yeah, but the protective coating doesnt stop the bobby pins from ripping you hair out when you take them out. its the pinchy part doing it

Stiletto_Diva

by the way... i dont use the good hair day ones... i use the old school cafeteria lady hair pins lmao like these

The black ones are the type that I am referring to. I haven't had any problems with them yet, but I will definitely keep a lookout for broken hairs.