Do and Donts of relaxed hair????

longfroinghair

I'm actually natural:look: But these two things really helped when I was relaxed.

DO:
Use pH balanced products regularly (ph 4.5 to 6.0)

This helped the rough, weak feeling my hair had. It made my hair smooth, and also free of that just-got-a-relaxer-last-week chemical smell :barf:

DONT:
Ignore your nape and temples. These are weak areas, especially on relaxed hair and they need protein treatments, proper cleansing, and scalp massages too. Relax these areas last.

back2relaxed

DO:

Moisturize and Seal your hair as needed
Sleep with your hair covered and protected with silk/satin
Use a heat protectant at all times
Try to rollerset your hair

DON'T

Relax too often, new growth is ok...8 weeks is the minimum!

IMFOCSD

I have a few:

DO
Invest in protective styles(least 4 days a week)...its an important key when retaining length is concerned.

Avoid daily combing/brushing.

Co-wash at least twice a week.

Trim your ends on a regular basis to keep splits under control and keep your ends healthy.

If you want to try color...semi permanent/rinses are actually good for your hair and give beautiful color (under light/sunlight)

Stretch relaxer past 6wks.

Do not forget to moisturize your hair...especially the ends.

Tie your hair up @ night.

DON'T
overlap relaxers

Comb dry hair

Don't use heat more than once a week.

Don't forget to DC.

hmm i think that's about it for me :)

Mische

Any suggestions ?
kailand Oils with ceramide content like safflower, hempseed, grapeseed etc.

But I gotta throw out Shescentit's name for this one too.

A lot of her products contain ceramides and silk amino acids. Her Okra protein reconstructor contains hempseed oil, wheat germ oil & sunflower extract. The Avocado DC has grapeseed oil and the Coco Creme leave in has silk peptides (contains over 18 silk amino acids). :)

NaiyaAi

I'm actually natural:look: But these two things really helped when I was relaxed.

DO:
Use pH balanced products regularly (ph 4.5 to 6.0)

This helped the rough, weak feeling my hair had. It made my hair smooth, and also free of that just-got-a-relaxer-last-week chemical smell :barf:

DONT:
Ignore your nape and temples. These are weak areas, especially on relaxed hair and they need protein treatments, proper cleansing, and scalp massages too. Relax these areas last.
What are some examples of pH-balanced products?

Aviah

DO NOT:
-Leave relaxed hair without moisture and a sunscreen product in the sun in the summer. This will lead to very dry, fried, brittle hair and breakage.

-Relax the hair from root to tip UNLESS it is a virgin hair application

- Leave the relaxer in longer than the specified time limit on the box for your hair type and relaxer strength

-Relax very/ severely damaged hair!

DO:

-Relax the edges of the hair last

-Relax in halves if you have very thick or long hair (relax the front half first, rinse, then the back half) especially if doing it yourself.

- practice touch ups using conditioner when learning to do self- relaxing prior to a real one, and time yourself

Last edited:

sal3w

Do:

Moisturize your ends regularly.

Deep condition regularly.

Work some protein in the mix and get a good protein-moisture balance going.

Protect your ends with oils and conditioners when it's touch-up time.

Wait AT LEAST 8 weeks in between touch-ups.

Stretch.

Don't:

Skip deep-conditioning treatments.

Color, then neglect your hair.

Over-manipulate.

This is just me, but I'm better off combing my hair when dry. Most of the time.

Trim your hair every relaxer, unless you're gradually trimming off damage.
Hello everyone! I am a super newbie to this site (as of February 9, '24, although I've been stalking when I've gotten the chance for the past month).

Anyways... My stylist told me not to add any moisturizing products whatsoever to my hair for weeks after my relaxer since it is practically like adding water to my hair all over again and since my hair dreds/matts so easily at the roots (even though it is super fine)? Why would she say this? Also, some lady at Sally's told me this same thing? So how soon after a relaxer should I start moisturizing and sealing? The same day? After my first wash? Once I see new growth? I see/hear different answers everywhere!

TIA :)

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Hello everyone! I am a super newbie to this site (as of February 9, '24, although I've been stalking when I've gotten the chance for the past month). Anyways... My stylist told me not to add any moisturizing products whatsoever to my hair for weeks after my relaxer since it is practically like adding water to my hair all over again and since my hair dreds/matts so easily at the roots (even though it is super fine)? Why would she say this? Also, some lady at Sally's told me this same thing? So how soon after a relaxer should I start moisturizing and sealing? The same day? After my first wash? Once I see new growth? I see/hear different answers everywhere! TIA :)

You should be getting moisture in immediately. Always keep your hair moisturized. Follow up with protein 1-2 weeks after (depending on you) but always keep moisture in your regimen. If you wait, it may be too late by the time you start incorporating. I use moisture products immediately after a relaxer and have not have any ill effects yet.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

CityGirl

DO:
Make hot oil treatments part of your regimen. Coconut oil works wonders.
Consider Co-washing often.
If Co-washing, do use a leave in conditioner after doing so.
Seal in all of the moisture from the co-washing with an oil; once again coconut oil to the rescue.
Cover your hair at night with a silk/satin bonnet or a satin pillowcase etc.

Don't
Let a hairdresser be the boss of your hair. Know what works for you.
Be discouraged. Healthy hair after extensive damage and just in general takes time and dedication.
Believe that you can't grow your hair. You can.
Don't let anyone make you think that diet and exercise don't matter. THEY DO.
Be too proud to take vitamin supplements. Find the ones that work for you. It's not always the expensive ones either.
DO NOT GIVE UP.

KenyafromCT

DO:
Seal in all of the moisture from the co-washing with an oil; once again coconut oil to the rescue.

Don't
Be discouraged. Healthy hair after extensive damage and just in general takes time and dedication.
Be too proud to take vitamin supplements. Find the ones that work for you. It's not always the expensive ones either.
DO NOT GIVE UP.

Thank you!! Much appreciated!

KenyafromCT

@KenyafromCT great thread bump!

Your hair will get healthy.

DO have patience
DO ask questions
DO keep reading and researching this site.

DON'T think your hair will get healthy overnight.

There is SO MUCH to learn!! When to/when not to relax, which protein to use, which DC, which vitamins are best, sealing, pre-pooing, co-washing, the stockpiling of products....did I say SO MUCH? lolol and I'm learning that it's all a delicate balance....nothing is straight forward!

KenyafromCT

DO:

Don't
DO NOT GIVE UP.

Thank you!! What do you co-wash with? I bought Eden Bodyworks co wash and can't say that I was impressed.

Maybe it was because I was steetching my hair and I found it to be be drying and it tangled my hair terribly. Maybe I should try it one more time before tossing it. I've been taking vitamins for months now! Maybe too many!! Loool

Evolving78

There is SO MUCH to learn!! When to/when not to relax, which protein to use, which DC, which vitamins are best, sealing, pre-pooing, co-washing, the stockpiling of products....did I say SO MUCH? lolol and I'm learning that it's all a delicate balance....nothing is straight forward!
Finding a good product line that is designed for relaxed hair is key. It will give you a good balance.

GraceandJoy

Butterfly
Greetings! I have lurked for years but not posted much. Gathering knowledge from you :love:. I am relaxed and have been for decades. I've had many up and downs, but my downs were due to my neglect. This forum has been wonderful! Thanks to your ideas, suggestions, advice, answers, and encouragement, my hair is healthy now.

Do: Use a relaxer strength that works for your hair. When I started using mild relaxers, it was a game changer.
Do: Apply your relaxer and style your own hair. You know your hair better than anyone else.
Do: Your own research. As many, many others have said, what works for one person may not work for another.
Do: Use a heat protectant when using heat. I have fine hair with medium density. I use heat on my bangs only & now I always use a heat protectant. I air dry the rest of my hair (in a ponytail). My hair stopped breaking off.
Do: Take hair growth supplements, if you think that's what you need to do. I was bald in my crown air, bald! Now I have great density and the hair is about 4 inches long now and growing. The rest of my hair is somewhere around BSL.
Do: Protect your hair. I don't wear braids but I do wear buns, a lot!! It goes well with my professional wear :yep:.

Don't: Think you are destined to have "X" length of growth. My hair will grow as long as I choose for it to grow.

All of this is, of course, my opinion and what works for me. Happy Hair Growing!!

CityGirl

Thank you!! What do you co-wash with? I bought Eden Bodyworks co wash and can't say that I was impressed.

Maybe it was because I was steetching my hair and I found it to be be drying and it tangled my hair terribly. Maybe I should try it one more time before tossing it. I've been taking vitamins for months now! Maybe too many!! Loool
I use As I Am Coconut Co-Wash, any one of the Shea Moisture Masks as my staples. I do rotate regularly using many different ones because I don't want my hair to get too used to any one product. But I have found that a lot of stuff used by naturalistas works very well on my relaxed hair and the As I am line is a perfect example.

So I pretty much use:
As I Am Double Butter Cream (and a couple of the other leave ins from this line as well.)
Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Conditioner
Maui Moisture
(there are a few--at least 3 that I use but can't remember the names of)
Shea Moisture anything; along with their leave ins and there are a couple of those. The Shea Moisture Strengthen, Grow and Restore Leave In is THE BEST. Especially if I am at week 7 or 8.
And pretty much anything else that I come across that looks good or that I have read about. Do a lot of reading and research and be patient. You will find your regimen and the products that work for you. Once you do, keep your staple products and rotate new ones to keep your hair happy. It took me a long time, but I finally found what my hair needs and I do not deviate from that.
I have learned that by being consistent, you will get results. I am a DAILY CO-WASHER unless it is the week I am getting my relaxer. Co-washing and the consistency of the products and regimen that works for me helped me grow my hair from struggling at barely shoulder length and scraggly to BSL and healthy. Yes, you can have healthy relaxed hair.

CityGirl

And...do be stingy with heat. Make sure that if and when you do use it, you use the lowest setting for what you're after. My hair does not do well with too much heat--I learned this the hard way. I rarely blow dry and flat iron. But when I do, I like what happens and its mostly because I buckled down to really learn what my hair needs and what works.

PlanetCybertron

Bump!

DON’T:

•trim your hair just because you can. Sometimes you honestly don’t need to.
•Drag a comb through your hair haphazardly
•Over manipulate

DO’S:

•Be patient
•enjoy yourself and your hair at whatever length and state it is in
•find a good routine that works for YOU!