Do a lot of men think like this?

PassionFruit

I got soem senagalese braids today ( only 4) just so I could keep my fingers out of my hair for a week or 2.... I didnt want any kind of smaller braids because I didnt want the tension pulling on my already fragile edges....

so Im gettign dressed tonight & take off my satin scarf... DH didnt know I got my hair braided... he looks up & says " I thought you were happy with your hair growth & whatnot".... I said I am... he then said "then why did you get your hair braided... the only women who get braids and weaves are those who are embarassed at the length or conditoon of their hair"

I gave him the screw face cuz I was already late for work but then I started to wonder do a lot of men think that way?

pinkchocolatedaisy

I'm not sure but it seems my DH does. Whenever I get braids or a new wig, he always says I like your hair, you don't need to do anything to it. It maybe a guy thing and it's girl thing we do and they don't understand. Sometimes you need a break from your hair just like it needs a break from you. :ohwell:

TaurusAngel

My brother is like that. He thinks when a woman wears braids or weaves all the time, they have something to hide, or they don't like how their natural hair looks. I never understand why. And I don't have a lifetime to sit down and ask.

harrison

IDK.. I think some are just anti-fake hair and view it as a sign of deception. I hear the speech anytime I mention adding extensions.

ladylibra

apparently a lot of women think this way too... when i said i was getting kinky twists, my female friends at work tried to dissuade me left and right. they said that braids and weaves just break off your hair, and that they are only meant for "bald-headed" women who already don't have anything to lose by wearing them. :nono:

i tried to show them it was all about technique and taking care of your hair underneath... but they thought it was just "luck" that i didn't lose any hair each time i got it braided... :rolleyes:

malachi74

IDK.. I think some are just anti-fake hair and view it as a sign of deception. I hear the speech anytime I mention adding extensions.

yeah, they're anti-fake with the real women in their life but drool over beyonce and all the other women in mags and on tv sporting extensions/pieces. sometimes i may wear a ponytail when it's time to go to the club or something, and to me it's an accessory, just like my earrings. But my SO will whine and complain about me putting that s*%t in my head...go figure.

brittanynic16

It's only an accessory if your NOT Black. If it's Britney or Heidi than it's an accessory. If you're Black you must be "bald head."

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
I have had a few guys tell me that they prefer women with their own hair. Thay don't like fake hair period whether it's braids or weave. They much prefer natural tresses, whether it's natural texture or processed. That's been my experience and I like the fact too now that I can say yeah it's all mine...from the roots.

Buttercreme

I have had a few guys tell me that they prefer women with their own hair. Thay don't like fake hair period whether it's braids or weave. They much prefer natural tresses, whether it's natural texture or processed. That's been my experience and I like the fact too now that I can say yeah it's all mine...from the roots.

This is how DH feels. And I like the fact that I can say its all mines tool!

girlyprincess23

yeah my SO is like that too.....he's like your hair is long (yeah okay) why are you putting that stuff in your hair?? but contrary to what someone said earlier strangely enough he's an equal opportunity weave discriminator he says it about EVERYBODY beyonce, britney...anybody if they have weave!

Hair Iam

Most men I know prefer natural to synthetic ..they would rather a short "real" hair style synthetic. My DH hates, braids,weaves, ...I managed to pull off a phony pony once or twice....when he realized he was like :perplexed.

justsimply

I think men and a lot of women think this way. When I get braids (extensions) done I always get looks and comments like why are you doing that when you "have hair" (lol).

Extremus

I'm not going to lie, I think this about women who aren't on this board and who CONSTANTLY wear weaves, b/c 9 out of 10 times, it's a true statement around here.

SoAnxious12

Hmmm. Maybe i'm the oddball here. When i was in high school my close friend would tell me in practically every class to get a weave or wear my hair striaght.... mainly because he thought i would look better with longer hair. Then my senior year when i actually did get some significant length he said "wow its so soft... but get a weave to make it thicker" Maybe it just depends on the guy.

Riverwalk

This may be a bit off topic, but I think it is related:

Sometimes, I think what men say and how they act are two different things.

I mean they may say they hate it when a woman wears the fake hair, but they go crazy when they actually see a woman with long hair (not knowing it is fake).

Soliel185

My SO is kinda the same way. I wore braids for 3 months and he was so relieved when I took them out. I told him I was going to rebraid it and he said " I thought you said you were going to leave your hair alone for awhile."

He'd rather see MY hair in a bun everyday than see if braided up. He doesn't like the look of it, and says they hide my face :perplexed: He doesn't seem particularily against weaves, but prefers that women not wear them.

BotanyGrl

I don't know any men who have outright said what your DH said. But majority of the men I know always voice how they hate when women where braids and weave. It always puzzled me because many of them love Beyonce, Halle and other celebs who are known to wear weaves all the time.

foxieroxienyc

Yeah it's true that they say that, but they also realize that these women are their fantasy women whom they'll likely never have and their girlfriend/wife is their reality. Funny thing is that some men cant even tell a weave from real tresses until he tries to run his fingers through it..... :nono::lachen:

bravenewgirl87

I've found most men who are obsessed with natural textures are expecting women to have curly hair, like this:

But, if you're hair was like Cynthia Mckinney... whole another story.:nono:

Extremus

My SO doesn't care whether its real or fake as long as its long ans straight 90% of the time. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some men be madd frontin when they say they don't like fake hair! Like the others said, they're the same ones who drool over the long silky OBVIOUS weaved girls, and THEN wana frown when he discovered it was fake. :rolleyes: plz! At least, learn how to distinguish the too, first :rolleyes:

Last edited:

prospurr4

I think a lot of them do.:yep:In fact, the men that I know don't like fake hair, i.e. braids, weaves, wigs, etc. DH doesn't understand why a woman would even wear a wig if she has "nice" hair. The men in my family (DH, my 2 adult sons, my dad and brother) much prefer real hair, especially if it's long.

bravenewgirl87

Honestly, I think black women give men entirely too much power over our beauty. I'm not lying when I say I will BREAK UP WITH YOU if you do not agree with something I've done to enhance my outer appearance. If you don't like my hair, don't be with me. You don't like my contacts, I don't have to see you anymore (literally and figuratively). You don't like my weight, don't hold on to me.If you allow a man to push up his mouth and impose his beauty ideals on you one time, then he'll never shut up. I love myself more than I can love any man on this planet, and 10, 20, 40 years is just enough background I need to drop your arse. You don't like it, PUCK off!

MizAvalon

I think a lot of men AND women think like this.

As for the fake hair, men will TOLERATE fake hair if it looks good. But I have yet to hear any man of any race say that he actually PREFERS fake hair over real hair.

bravenewgirl87

I think a lot of men AND women think like this.

As for the fake hair, men will TOLERATE fake hair if it looks good. But I have yet to hear any man of any race say that he actually PREFERS fake hair over real hair.

Ditto! Men honestly don't care about it because so many women wear weaves and extensions. But, when you give a man the options to voice his opinion about your hair, you're looking into trouble. Don't ask, and if he doesn't like how you hair looks... don't date him. Esp. if you are just starting out. How long have I been saying I prefer guys with Musiq or John Lengend's hairstyles, and men don't listen to me. The still do the tacky 360 waves bizness like it's cute. So... I just tell them when they ask about my hair, "I have no opinions. It's whatever you want." Or, I simply don't respond to them. Everyone has their perferences, so don't impose yours on me.

cupcakes

yea my man thinks exactly like that. He absolutely HATES fake hair every time i mention something about maybe trying a phonie pony or something he goes on and on about how only girls with no hair wear them. Last time i got box braids he sulked for a whole 2 weeks:ohwell:

bravenewgirl87

I have to give you all your props, because you are very different women than myself. It would've been a wrap. I'm too young to have someone even think they can control any aspect of my beauty. This my body and mine alone. Long after you are dead, it will still be here... so why should anyone care what I do with it?:look:

Ain't no man nor loving worth all that sulking and carryin' on. But, I don't have much patience nor tolerance so I commend the OP for even asking the question. Takes a lot of guts to consider a man's opinion on what is a delicate issue.