Discouraged Relaxed 4A, Thinking of using ELECTRIC HOT COMB!1

kizzylonghair

Discouraged Relaxed 4A, Thinking of using (DIRECT HEAT)Electric Hot Comb!

Girls,

I am trying to stay positive, I really am. But I have hit a brick wall this week.
I hit the 7 WEEK POST RELAXER CURSE.
For the past 6 weeks me and my hair have been getting along fine.
But now I have loads of roots( Not complaining) I cant wrap it anymore.
BYE BYE to having my hair down :(
And now my hair is really really dry and I can feel the breakage slowly creeping back in.
I really didnt want to use heat, But I was thinking about using an electrical hot comb just on the demaraction line to smooth my hair. NEVER ON THE ENDS. My hair is very very fine

What you think ? Maybe this is the missing link in my regime.

I only discovered rollerset under the dryer as opposed to an airdry bun about 7 weeks and go and my hair loved it.
Maybe my hair need a liitle more heat

Kizzy

Last edited:

ChosenbyGod

kizzylonghair said:
Girls,

I am trying to stay positive, I really am. But I have hit a brick wall this week.
For the past 6 weeks me and my hair have been

Aww! :kiss: So what's the problem? Dealing with the new growth? How many weeks are you trying to get to?

kizzylonghair

lkg4healthyhair said:
What have you been doing so far?

Hi

I am have been washing every 5 days, rotating between moisture and protein.
Rollersets with hood dryer and mositurising.
I use Keracare range and Holly Beauty Olive Oil Moistuzer

baglady215

Re: Discouraged Relaxed 4A, Thinking of using (DIRECT HEAT)Electric Hot Comb!

Maybe you should just relax it... I know it's damn near impossible for me to get to 12 weeks. I've accepted that and now try my hardest to get to 8. It would be nice, but the breakage and the misery isn't worth it to me. Good luck!

kizzylonghair

baglady215 said:
Maybe you should just relax it... I know it's damn near impossible for me to get to 12 weeks. I've accepted that and now try my hardest to get to 8. It would be nice, but the breakage and the misery isn't worth it to me. Good luck!

Baglady,

I have been wondering the same thing because I have done 6 weeks with no breakage. Which means that if I relaxed I would miss out these 6 weeks of worring about and experiencing breakage. Maybe stretching isnt for me ?

ChosenbyGod

kizzylonghair said:
Girls,

And now my hair is really really dry and I can feel the breakage slowly creeping back in.
I really didnt want to use heat, But I was thinking about using an electrical hot comb just on the demaraction line to smooth my hair. NEVER ON THE ENDS. My hair is very very fine

I only discovered rollerset under the dryer as opposed to an airdry bun about 7 weeks and go and my hair loved it.

Kizzy

You have to do what's best for your hair. If you think straightening the roots is the missing link, then I suggest you do that. See how it works for you. Have you tried co-washes to help keep the new growth manageable and soft? That might also help. Just don't do anything that will damage your hair in the long run. If you use the hot comb, don't overdo it. Use it on freshly washed hair and then put it away until the next wash or every other wash. When I stretched to 16 weeks, for the last 2-3 weeks of that stretch I used the blow dryer to straighten. It made my hair easier to deal with.

ThickHair

I agree that maybe you should just relax. What is the big deal? Stretching out your relaxer is not making you happy so why suffer.

kizzylonghair

ChosenbyGod said:

You have to do what's best for your hair. If you think straightening the roots is the missing link, then I suggest you do that. See how it works for you. Have you tried co-washes to help keep the new growth manageable and soft? That might also help. Just don't do anything that will damage your hair in the long run. If you use the hot comb, don't overdo it. Use it on freshly washed hair and then put it away until the next wash or every other wash. When I stretched to 16 weeks, for the last 2-3 weeks of that stretch I used the blow dryer to straighten. It made my hair easier to deal with.

Chosen

Thanks, I will do some co-washes. And I will give the hot comb thing a go. Maybe it will be my saving grace

kizzylonghair

ThickHair said:
I agree that maybe you should just relax. What is the big deal? Stretching out your relaxer is not making you happy so why suffer.

Thick Hair,

Maybe your right. But to be honested when I stretched to 11 weeks before my entire head needed relaxing. However at this point it mainly thh middle and front that has all the roots.
Wouldnt that be overprocessing my sides and nape. My hair is really really fine as it is

Kizzy

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

I can wrap my hair and I haven't had a relaxer in almost 7 MONTHS! :blush:

I tired the airdrying bun thing but it really wasn't working for me. :nono:

So I have gone back to using a blowdryer with comb attachment to straighten my hair. I have fine textured hair and my hair straigthens pretty easily without having to use an electric comb.

I wrap my hair every night after applying oil to my hair.

Hope that helps!!! ;)

kizzylonghair

Poohbear said:

So I have gone back to using a blowdryer with comb attachment to straighten my hair. I have fine textured hair and my hair straigthens pretty easily without having to use an electric comb.

Hope that helps!!! ;)

Thank Pooh,

I can wrap my hair if I really try hard but I can hearthe snaps of breaking hair :nono:
I am scared of blowing, Glad it works for you

ChosenbyGod

Poohbear said:

Hope that helps!!! ;)

I know your right PB because when I stretched to 16 weeks I blowdried w/the comb attachment to straighten my hair and after I oiled it I wrapped it and it was straight and manageable. It still had thickness to it, which I liked!

But PB...how do you keep your hair from reverting? Is it just gonna automatically curl back up when sweat hits it because my hair would do that. Is there a way to prevent that?

Oh! One more thing PB...are you still just washing every 2 weeks and then blowdrying it out? You know you change your routine so much; I'm just trying to keep up with ya! :lol: You are doing great w/your transition!

Poohbear

ChosenbyGod said:

But PB...how do you keep your hair from reverting? Is it just gonna automatically curl back up when sweat hits it because my hair would do that. Is there a way to prevent that?

Oh! One more thing PB...are you still just washing every 2 weeks and then blowdrying it out? You know you change your routine so much; I'm just trying to keep up with ya! :lol: You are doing great w/your transition!
My hair started reverting about a few days after I blowdried it last weekend! :grin: Wrapping it each night helps keep it straight as possible. I don't use anything in my hair except oil. If it gets too curly, I plan on wearing a stocking cap and wig over my hair.

And yes! I am washing my hair every two weeks and then blowdrying it out in sections. ;)

Poohbear

kizzylonghair said:
Thank Pooh,

I can wrap my hair if I really try hard but I can hear the snaps of breaking hair :nono:
I am scared of blowing, Glad it works for you
Are you wrapping airdried hair??? That could be the reason why you get breaking hairs.

Now if you were FULLY relaxed (no unprocessed new growth), it probably wouldn't be a problem to wrap airdried hair. ;)

kizzylonghair

Poohbear said:
Are you wrapping airdried hair??? That could be the reason why you get breaking hairs.

Now if you were FULLY relaxed (no unprocessed new growth), it probably wouldn't be a problem to wrap airdried hair. ;)

Pooh

No I dont airdry at all, I like to wrap my hair every night to keep it straight and sleek

Poohbear

kizzylonghair said:
Pooh

No I dont airdry at all, I like to wrap my hair every night to keep it straight and sleek
OHHH! Okay. ;)

Mizani_Mrs

Kizzi, I"m new to this board and I am struggling to stretch also. I think that you have to play around with people's ideas and then sooner or later you will find an idea that makes your hair feel good. and speaking from experience, when u are more than 5 weeks post, i'd suggest a salon brand moisturizing conditioner instead of a cheapie (i love mizani moisturfuse), this has really helped me in keeping softness and body in my hair. Like for instance for me, I'm a 4a/b... this thurs will be my 10th week and this is the first time i've stretched beyond 6weeks. I think next time i'll only stretch to 8 weeks and then i'll slowly add on a week. This anxiety is killing me, and also i have my hair in a ponytail so i REALLY miss having a fresh relaxer. also i found out that wrapping my hair after 4 weeks ain't all that great of an idea. so i just comb my hair straight back, and tie with a silk scarf, instead of wrapping in a cirlce. I think it works EVEN BETTER. cause sometimes when i wrapped, my hair would still end up looking wicked and i'd need to flatiron it. So this smooths my hair and doesnt break as much as wrapping. also i just found out that my hair likes oil. i used to avoid oil like it was the plague. :lol: I was scared of being greasy and body-less. but my hair actually absorbs it and will still have body IF i did a moisturizing treatment when i washed it. Also i hear many people air-drying. well it leaves my hair too hard and rough so I partially domedry and partially airdry. It works well. I do the sylver scarf method and i sit under the dryer for like 1hr which mostly dries my hair then i go off to bed for it to finish drying. this works very well for me. I don't need a flatiron or anything. so keep it growing and hey if the stretch ain't working out, then gon ahead and get a fresh relaxer. I probably would have had one last week, but i'm currently searching for a new stylist so i don't have an appt as of yet. :ohwell:

sylver2

kizzylonghair said:
Girls,

Kizzy

Hi, I don't suggest the Hot comb. Please don't use it. You mention your hair is thin, all the more reason to not use it. I am relaxed 4a-b and am at 6 months post relaxer 25 weeks right now and my hair is thick and coarse.
I stopped wrapping hair at 10 weeks. When your stretching, you don't want to comb it or manipulate it to much.
Sometimes when it gets to much, I wash, deep condition and detangle in the shower. I use a good leave in and use a lot of it especially on new growth, comb thru I use John Frieda friizz ease on the new growth and ends. I blow dry with a comb attachment dryer and flat iron.
Other times I dry using the scarf method in my album which flattens the new growth and keeps hair maintaoined.
You have to fool around with different methods and leave your hair alone as much as possible.

kizzylonghair

Mizani_Mrs said:
Kizzi, I"m new to this board and I am struggling to stretch also. I think that you have to play around with people's ideas and then sooner or later you will find an idea that makes your hair feel good. and speaking from experience, when u are more than 5 weeks post, i'd suggest a salon brand moisturizing conditioner instead of a cheapie (i love mizani moisturfuse), this has really helped me in keeping softness and body in my hair. Like for instance for me, I'm a 4a/b... this thurs will be my 10th week and this is the first time i've stretched beyond 6weeks. I think next time i'll only stretch to 8 weeks and then i'll slowly add on a week. This anxiety is killing me, and also i have my hair in a ponytail so i REALLY miss having a fresh relaxer. also i found out that wrapping my hair after 4 weeks ain't all that great of an idea. so i just comb my hair straight back, and tie with a silk scarf, instead of wrapping in a cirlce. I think it works EVEN BETTER. cause sometimes when i wrapped, my hair would still end up looking wicked and i'd need to flatiron it. So this smooths my hair and doesnt break as much as wrapping. also i just found out that my hair likes oil. i used to avoid oil like it was the plague. :lol: I was scared of being greasy and body-less. but my hair actually absorbs it and will still have body IF i did a moisturizing treatment when i washed it. Also i hear many people air-drying. well it leaves my hair too hard and rough so I partially domedry and partially airdry. It works well. I do the sylver scarf method and i sit under the dryer for like 1hr which mostly dries my hair then i go off to bed for it to finish drying. this works very well for me. I don't need a flatiron or anything. so keep it growing and hey if the stretch ain't working out, then gon ahead and get a fresh relaxer. I probably would have had one last week, but i'm currently searching for a new stylist so i don't have an appt as of yet. :ohwell:

Mazani,

You dont sound a newbie at all :nono: Great Advice

I understand how it feels about trying to strectch relaxer, I feel you.
I will try that method you suggested and try not to wrap my hair.

Thanks

Maybe my soliution is to just go ahead and relax

kizzylonghair

sylver2 said:
Hi, I don't suggest the Hot comb. Please don't use it. You mention your hair is thin, all the more reason to not use it. I am relaxed 4a-b and am at 6 months post relaxer 25 weeks right now and my hair is thick and coarse.
I stopped wrapping hair at 10 weeks. When your stretching, you don't want to comb it or manipulate it to much.
Sometimes when it gets to much, I wash, deep condition and detangle in the shower. I use a good leave in and use a lot of it especially on new growth, comb thru I use John Frieda friizz ease on the new growth and ends. I blow dry with a comb attachment dryer and flat iron.
Other times I dry using the scarf method in my album which flattens the new growth and keeps hair maintaoined.
You have to fool around with different methods and leave your hair alone as much as possible.

Sylver,

6 Months post-relaxer :clap:
I am gonna wash and deep con my hair tonite. I hear you on the hot comb, but my hair thrives when its sleek I just want to try every avenue.

I just checked out your album you have amazing hair !!!:clap: If I have the thickness of just half of your head I would be happy. My ends not as healthly as yours either :(

Kizzy

Last edited:

FashionistaNY

If there is such a thing as 4D hair lol, I have it lmao. But seriously. I was able to stretch my relaxer 7 months. For my coarse hair, I would wash with a gentle shampoo, condition with Altergo under the dryer and then I would apply Mizani Moisturefuse to soften w/o heat and leave on for about 10 minutes. Rinse, roller-set. Only the sections that required it, I would blow-dry my hair on a cool setting.

As far as maintenance during the week, I would spray leave in conditioner on the new growth and apply oil every night and wrap my hair as tight as can be. By morning, my hair would be smooth as can be.

However, I was forced to touch up my roots because it became soo coarse and unmanageable when it was wet and that was my biggest problem. It looked like I had a mini afro under the relaxed portion.

kizzylonghair

FashionistaNY said:
If there is such a thing as 4D hair lol, I have it lmao. But seriously. I was able to stretch my relaxer 7 months. For my coarse hair, I would wash with a gentle shampoo, condition with Altergo under the dryer and then I would apply Mizani Moisturefuse to soften w/o heat and leave on for about 10 minutes. Rinse, roller-set. Only the sections that required it, I would blow-dry my hair on a cool setting.

However, I was forced to touch up my roots because it became soo coarse and unmanageable when it was wet and that was my biggest problem. It looked like I had a mini afro under the relaxed portion.

Fashion,

Did I write 4D(My Bad) :nono: I mean 4a, 4b. I literally took yours and other advice on the board I have just conwash my hair. Using rollersets. I cant find my attachment to my hair dryer!!DOH

I will try your Condition spray and wrap its similar to Slvyers and will try them both in the next few days

Thanks

Healthb4Length

kizzylonghair said:
Chosen

Thanks, I will do some co-washes. And I will give the hot comb thing a go. Maybe it will be my saving grace

with NG and permed hair, the key is to keep the NG moisturized. and comb from the bottom up. ALso you may want to try styles like braidout or twistouts where you get to wear your hair 'out'.

hottopic

Girl....Don't you dare give in. The first time I stretched I only made it up to 8 weeks and caved. This is my second go at it and I am aiming for 12 weeks. I am on week 11 and it is not that bad. I do not use direct heat. The only time I use heat is to deep condition that is it. It can be done. I would suggest to check the pictures of everyone in our category 4a/b with picture, then narrow it down to who does not use heat and stretch at the same time. It can be done. I promise you....once you find them add them to your buddy list on your fokti. Take picture a lot...If you break now that is ok, because next time you will be able to go a lot further. Looking at your pictures will remind you of what you did to get a certain point, then you take it from there.

Champagne_Wishes

A broke graduate
I would forgo the hot comb. I read in one magazine that you shouldn't use it on relaxed hair. But maybe someone will say otherwise *shrugs*.