Dipping hair in boiling hot water????

MsLizziA

I have my yarn braids in and i want to curl them. Next time, I am definitely getting them longer because yall, i am in love but in order for me to curl them, i have to dip them n boiling hot water which also means dipping my OWN hair in boiling hot water. Is this safe?

I am assuming since the boiling point for water is 212 F , it should be ok considering when i flat iron i use 450 degrees to straighten it.

Or are my numbers wrong? Shouldn't my hair be fine?
I am just really paranoid and want to make sure

Rei

sponge rollers won't get synthentic hair that curly for as long as boiling water will. OP the water doesn't have to be boiling to curl your hair. You can boil the water and let it cool down for a bit and then dip your hair. Since this is a one time thing, and the water will be probably less than 100C when your hair hits the water, it should be fine. Its not like you're doing it everyday, afterall.

tatiana

You are using yarn which is what cotten/wool.

Yarn may not curl. I would test this with a yarn, roller, and hot water separately.

I believe yarn will shrink and turn into felt when it touches hot water.

amwcah

I wasn't saying dip the sponge rollers in the boiling water. Just roll your YARN(not synthetic) braids with sponge rollers. Sponge rollers will give you a tighter curl if that's what you want. Also, they will hold better assuming the yarn will curl.

amwcah

I just went to go look at my yarn I used for my yarn braids. I don't know what brand you used, but mine is Red Heart 100% Acrylic.

If you have some yarn left, I suggest testing a piece in the hot water to see how it reacts.

MsLizziA

You are using yarn which is what cotten/wool.

Yarn may not curl. I would test this with a yarn, roller, and hot water separately.

I believe yarn will shrink and turn into felt when it touches hot water.

It will curl. I already checked Youtube

MsLizziA

I just went to go look at my yarn I used for my yarn braids. I don't know what brand you used, but mine is Red Heart 100% Acrylic.

If you have some yarn left, I suggest testing a piece in the hot water to see how it reacts.

oh thanks thats a great idea! i have tons of yarn left and yes i used the exact same yarn as you

CrueltyFree

If you wet them (cool water or hot) while they're in rollers and let the yarn/hair dry before you take them out, it should definitely curl. The hotter the water, the faster it will curl up though. Maybe the hot water sets the curl faster so when you dip them in the water and take them out the rollers when it's still wet or damp, it will be curled. But if you dip them in cooler water and give it more time to dry you should get the same effect, no?

NO DON'T DO IT!! I learned the hard way it messes up your hair. You still have heat damage it's just boiled instead of fried. Your hair will look frayed and wiry and all the deep conditioning in the would will not lay it down. You will end up cutting the damaged ends off because they loose their elasticity and ability to hold moisture.

QBOE2001

What about using caruso curlers? They are steam based so it should work in theory without you having to use actual boiling water.

LongLeggedLife

Yarn will definitely curl using that method, I rolled mine up on pipe cleaners then dipped it.
BUT, I had the yarn braided long past the ends of my own hair, so I wasn't actually dipping my real hair, so I'm not sure about that part.
Used boiling water, then squeezed the excess with a towel.

I use WallyWorld's RedHeart 100% acrylic as well.

Oh and it takes forever to dry!! I wanted to leave the pipecleaners in til it was dry to make sure it curled properly, I was looking crazy for about 3days in a scarf, b/c I was away from home and didnt have a hooded dryer to speed up the process:(

Last edited:

kandegirl

Don't dip your ends in boiling water!!! I had kinky twists and "my" hair was in the ends w/ the synthetic hair that was dipped and months later the damaged surfaced. I had finally made it to APL but my ends were so jacked up, I had to cut my hair back to a bob. Never again. They'll be twisted longer next time, if I get them again.