Boiling water on hair?

Qetesh

Has anyone heard of doing this for any reason? I know a lot of you are well versed in all things hair care.

The reason I am asking is a family member of mine recently seriously burned her back by applying boiling water to her hair as some type of treatment. Apparently the a portion of it spilled to her back and she panicked so a lot of it ended up on her back.
I could ask her what it’s all about but we honestly don’t talk she lives out of state and I would feel odd calling her just to discuss why she would think to put boiling water on her hair.

any opinons or ever hear of this?

myco

Does she wear braids? The only thing I can think of is that she was trying to seal the ends of the braids.

Qetesh

no she doesnt, she relaxes.
actually i am closer to her younger sister so i am gonna have to remember to call her and ask her if she has any idea about it either.

i was told by her mother it was some type of "treatment"???

scorpian

Qetesh said:
Has anyone heard of doing this for any reason? I know a lot of you are well versed in all things hair care.

The reason I am asking is a family member of mine recently seriously burned her back by applying boiling water to her hair as some type of treatment. Apparently the a portion of it spilled to her back and she panicked so a lot of it ended up on her back.
I could ask her what it’s all about but we honestly don’t talk she lives out of state and I would feel odd calling her just to discuss why she would think to put boiling water on her hair.

any opinons or ever hear of this?

I know that people boil water and use it to seal the ends of extensions after getting braids
When you do this you usually boil the water in a pot then dip the ends of the braids into the water then squeeze the hot water off of the ends with a towel you never pour the water over your hair and your shoulders should be covered well with a thick dry towel
I have never heard of a hair treatment that requires boiling water to be applied to the hair or scalp :confused:

some people use herbs and teas as a hair treatment
they boil the water and add the herbs and or tea but you are not supposed to pour it over your hair until after it has cooled

Last edited:

Sistaslick

Was it oil? Maybe she was doing a hot oil treatment?:confused:

I burned myself doing that once.:lol: Or maybe she was trying to do that hot towel deep conditioning method and didn't wring out hot water from the towel very well?:confused:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Sounds dangerous. Why would you put boiling water on your hair? As long as it's synthetic hair, it is OK, but you still have to make sure you don't burn yourself.:ohwell:

Qetesh

She had someone else putting it on her hair so it wasn’t something she was doing herself. With the way people mix things up it could have been oil. You guys got me even more curious now I am going to have to call and ask. She may have had synthetic hair on because she gets weave every now and then but never braids. But from what I hear they were pouring it on her hair I would think on natural hair that would be damaging, not to mention dangerous.

keluric

It might have been some type of herbal rinse, as someone mentioned. I don't see any reason to use the steeped liquid while it's still that hot though.

Cheleigh

scorpian said:
some people use herbs and teas as a hair treatment
they boil the water and add the herbs and or tea but you are not supposed to pour it over your hair until after it has cooled

I just did this on Saturday. But errrr, I let the treatment cool first. There's nothing good that can come from extremely hot water on your hair strands.

Angelicus

If anything, I'd throw ice cold water on my hair to close the cuticle. I guess your friend heard that boiling water purifies it but didn't know it had to be cooled before pouring it on her hair.

I believe that boiling tap water concentrates the calcium content per ml (but bringing up that topic is like beating a dead horse). Come back to the thread and update us on what really happened. :yep:

Boiling water or anything else put on hair causes the moisture in the hair shaft to boil and split open resulting in flyaway dry looking ends so I’m assuming she was trying to steam set synthetic hair.

Qetesh

She was trying to steam set synthetic hair, I checked into it more and yes.

Apparently her friend was setting it in a pot of boiling water and a few drops got on her back she then panicked and ended up wasting the entire pot of boiling water all over her back, she suffered from 2nd degree burns, her back is permanently scared now. I still kinda want to hear it from her because I cant see how water could burn so badly.
I am not sure how it’s normally done since I have never had synthetic hair on but it was for some type of style gone bad.

ThursdayGirl

I thought when you do this kind of thing you set it before you apply it to the scalp. That was a strange, but I fear not well thought out, notion. I hope she gets better soon.

preciousjewel76

Qetesh said:
She was trying to steam set synthetic hair, I checked into it more and yes.

Apparently her friend was setting it in a pot of boiling water and a few drops got on her back she then panicked and ended up wasting the entire pot of boiling water all over her back, she suffered from 2nd degree burns, her back is permanently scared now.

Oh no, that's horrible!:eek: I hope she recovers soon.